Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo hesitating then dying while driving. Need help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo hesitating then dying while driving. Need help

So I've been having some issues with my evo 9. A few days ago I started having issues where my car would hesitate and jump a little while cruising, it got worse and worse over 3 days and eventually my car just died on my way to work on Saturday, the battery light came on(along with others, it's hard to tell which ones came on as I was driving and focused on trying not to be stuck in traffic) and it just shut down. I got it to start back up (I was driving down the road mind you) and it died another minute down the road. I was able to pull it into where I work and roll it down a hill and it then would only fire and not start. After my shift I got back in and it started and ran fine, I made it half way home and it died and wouldn't start so I had it trailered on a flatbed home. I figured it was the alternator so I had mine tested, it tested bad, so I replaced it. With a new alternator, and the battery which was purchased in April (and was charged with a charger after replacing the alternator) the car is still dying.. The car seems to start and run longer as it sits, IE:when it sits over night it will start and run for maybe 10-20 minutes depending then die, but if it has just died it will only run for a few seconds then die. If it sits after this for a half hour, it will run for 10-20 again and die.

The other problem I was having last was the car would be dead when it sat over night, with a jump it would run fine for the day but then die again like this and need a jump after a week or so, this is what caused me to replace the battery in April but I'm obviously still having the issue

Any ideas? I'm listing anything I can think of right now that has been done on the car just to help trouble shoot this. There might be more and I'll edit as I think of them

Mods:
Odyssey mini battery
Aem air fuel gauge
Speed density with tune
Speed density intake
Full 3 inch exhaust with O2 dump
Viper 5901 alarm with auto start
Aftermarket radio
stock fuel system
stock turbo
stock ecu
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:50 AM

Anybody? This is my DD and I'd really like to sort this out as soon as possible!
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Check the main grounds, and battery cables for corrosion. If it starts again then dies I wouldnt think charging system unless alternator (or cables) are messed up. Is the alternator OEM?

Possibly check/clean mass air flow sensor and run the ecu for codes. The problem might have triggered a CEL code. Change fuel filter, make sure its getting air/fuel/spark yada yada.

There's a lot of little problems that could add up to this.

Last edited by Project_Broke; Jul 14, 2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Project_Broke
Check the main grounds, and battery cables for corrosion. If it starts again then dies I wouldnt think charging system unless alternator (or cables) are messed up. Is the alternator OEM?

Possibly check/clean mass air flow sensor and run the ecu for codes. The problem might have triggered a CEL code. Change fuel filter, make sure its getting air/fuel/spark yada yada.

There's a lot of little problems that could add up to this.
I'm on speed density, so I will check the map sensor tomorrow. Battery cables are completely clean, connected well too. The alternator I replaced into it recently was from Orielly's, but I will test it tomorrow too. Could it be a fuel issue or anything? It's strange because this issue just randomly started, nothing has changed on my setup in the last month or two.

Thanks for the reply!
Old Jul 15, 2015, 04:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hooliganSKATE
I'm on speed density, so I will check the map sensor tomorrow. Battery cables are completely clean, connected well too. The alternator I replaced into it recently was from Orielly's, but I will test it tomorrow too. Could it be a fuel issue or anything? It's strange because this issue just randomly started, nothing has changed on my setup in the last month or two.

Thanks for the reply!
Ahh, sorry. Didn't pay enough attention to the mod list. Come to think of it, it does kind of sound like it could be fuel pump related. Check the fuel pressure before and after it dies, could be dropping off.

I have seen people have bad aftermarket alternators, but if the car died, then would start back up, the alternator should be fine as the battery system would have drained and not allowed it to start again.

Since it looks like you are on the stock pump, it's possible you've overworked it. You may just opt to throw a Walbro in it anyway since they run under $100 any how.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Project_Broke
Ahh, sorry. Didn't pay enough attention to the mod list. Come to think of it, it does kind of sound like it could be fuel pump related. Check the fuel pressure before and after it dies, could be dropping off.

I have seen people have bad aftermarket alternators, but if the car died, then would start back up, the alternator should be fine as the battery system would have drained and not allowed it to start again.

Since it looks like you are on the stock pump, it's possible you've overworked it. You may just opt to throw a Walbro in it anyway since they run under $100 any how.
Do you know of anyway to test the stock one to know if it's gone bad?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hooliganSKATE
Do you know of anyway to test the stock one to know if it's gone bad?
Pull it out and run 12v through it,or you could check your fuel pressure on a morning you haven't started it yet. Then let it run till it stalls like you said, and check the FP again. If it doesn't fluctuate much then it's ok, if its gone/low you know its the fuel system.

Watch your wideband when it's dying, does it go suddenly lean?