Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Water where it shouldnt be!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water where it shouldnt be!

Just purchased my evo 8, previous owner told me a grommet on the firewall is leaking and causing my driver side floor to become soaked when ot rains. Ive looked for the issue but cant pinpoint it. Is this common? It only occurs sometimes but living in south florida, it rains often and would like to patch this quickly. Thanks for any leads!
Old Jul 25, 2015, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes. It's common. Mine did that as well when I purchased it. Someone moved it out of the way to run a power wire to the trunk. I bought the car with an inch of water in it. Got a good deal on it though. You're looking for the large wiring bundle next to the clutch pedal on the drivers side fender in the corner of the fire wall. Make sure you seal it up good and check the wiring connection junction box/connectors near the door under the plastic panel. You'll get electrical gremlins if it connections go bad there.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 01:53 PM

Ill check there thanks, i kept scoping out under the car but couldnt find any obvious leaks. Previous owner had aftermarket sub put in and left the wire ran so im sure that was it. Ill remove it... once it stops raining.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Remove the drivers side front fender liner at the rear of the fender well. Then you will see the bundle of wires that enters the cab behind the kick panel. How the water gets in is open to question. It may be that it leaks right at the grommet or it may travel down the plastic from where the wiring originates - at the front of the under hood fuse box. Seal them both as best you can. Then examine the plastic wiring blocks under the kick panel checking for the green of copper corrosion. Once that green stuff starts spreading it can short between terminals causing all sorts of strange electrical things to happen.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:12 AM

Peeked my head under my clutch pedal and saw that someone ran the power wire to an old sub thru the grommet there. They didnt bother with anything just pushed the grommet out of the way and ahoved the wire thru. Im going to disco the wire and toss it. I hate running thru remenant wire jobs
Old Jul 26, 2015, 06:21 PM

Update:

Cleaned the grommet and popped it in, not so easily, it was a pain. Not my srs light is on. Wondering if the battery disconect had anything to do with that? I removed the power wire to an old sub and the remote wire to the sub as well. Hoping i didnt jostle something loose.