Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What to do with Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What to do with Evo

Hey Guys,

I'm at a crossroad in my life and unsure what to do with my Evo. I see two possibilities, sell it, or turn it into a daily driver. I'd love to hear some opinions and reasoning.

Some basic info:
- I live in northern IL - Winters can suck here.
- My drive to and from work is maybe 10 mins.
- Evo is paid off/I own it fully
- Evo is lower miles, completely rust and damage free, basically a very clean, ALWAYS garage kept vehicle which I only put maybe 200-300 miles a year on it (Summer only).

The reason behind the choice:
I've recently moved into a house that's basically free to live at (I really only cover utilities, that's it). Perfect right?! Well, with no garage, a tiny driveway, and no parking on the street, I've no where to put the Evo. Right now, it's still in the garage in my last place of residence. I've got 1-2 months max before it has to be moved for good.

There are no unused car sized storage places near me. I've checked. Right now my daily driver is a 2006 Forester with 200k on it. It's in excellent condition, but realistically, the heads are starting to leak and it's going to need a steering rack in about a year should I keep it.

Reasons for wanting to sell it:
- Someone else will get to enjoy it. I rarely drive it, because it's so nice, I want to keep it nice.
- If I store it far away at a storage facility, I'm in the same boat I am now, I can't ever get to it to even drive it, so I don't see much of a point in owning it, paying for insurance, etc when I can't drive the vehicle.
- Instant cash which I can reinvest into retirement, etc.
- If I DD it, it will get banged up, rust, corrode, etc. It's value will drop to crap, and in 4-5 years, I won't have anything to show for it, and by then, it'll need a lot of work I'm sure.
- I plan to move further south where they don't salt the roads, but that's likely 3+ years away still. Again, storing a vehicle and not being able to really do anything with it for 3+ years gives me more of a reason to just sell it.

Reasons for wanting to DD it:
- I love the car and driving it. I love how it rides, it handles, the power, etc. I have no problems with how stiff, gas, anything in regard to using it for a DD.
- Forester needs to be replaced soon (now-2 years max if she holds together), and I love my AWD far too much to give it up. Even were I to sell the Evo and the Subaru, to get another low miles, AWD car that doesn't suck, is going to eat most of what I'd get from the Evo for selling it, but still wouldn't be near the car that the Evo is.

So, there you have it. Sorry for the long post, but I'd really like some input. Again, this isn't about money or not being able to stand daily driving a vehicle like this. This is more about me loving the car and it being in nice condition, not wanting it to get beat up and destroyed by daily driving it, but at the same time, I've never really enjoyed the vehicle.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
build a garage
Old Jul 30, 2015, 01:24 PM

That's a good answer, but, I'm def looking to move further south in a few years. I'm not interested in dumping money on any sort of garage or buying a house/place up here. The lot it is tiny, not my own, and honestly that's money better left invested/saved for when I do move to where I plan on staying long term.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Get one of those temp car ports, at least it will keep the snow off it. They even make the one you can zip up closed. Keep the car
Old Jul 30, 2015, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy a outdoor "Car Capsule" just got some in at my work, and they are pretty awesome I must say. Keep your car nice as new until you move.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 07:04 PM

It sounds to me like you really want to keep it, so, keep it and enjoy it. Not having a garage for it means it won't always be clean and shiny but you will at least be able to drive it. If you sell it you have no guarantee that the buyer will take care of it either. I daily drive my Evo IX RS year round and love it. I also have a short 10 minute commute so I only put about 4K on it annually.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
DD it

if you sell it, you'll want another one in a few years time anyway, so keep it
get a good alarm with wireless remote and insurance policy
temp car port is a great idea as above, check into that and where you can put it and how you can secure it.
Maybe a car cover that can be locked onto the car, theres cable locks for that
Can you keep it at work under cover or with a car cover? and ride a bike to work?
Leave it close by at someone's place and pay them a fee, any good neighbours?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

That's a lot to spend for someone else to enjoy it. DD it. Its made to be driven.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
dd it...dooooo ittttttt...lol no really it's up to you but if you love the car and havent enjoyed it I say keep it life is too short no to......
Old Jul 31, 2015, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Found a good friend and rent a spot in there Garage that is what i did this winter with a buddy. can't you just put it in a storage Unit
Old Aug 1, 2015, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I daily drive mine, and have been for the last 10 years. extremely reliable, and fun to drive. if you are not going to drive and enjoy it, please sell it. someone else needs to experience the machine. if you do decide to daily drive it, just do what you can to take care of it and ENJOY it.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:14 AM

Keep it, enjoy it, and proudly put those miles on it. I get the whole not wanting to drive it because it's so nice and you want to keep it that way, but these cars are made to be driven and they can be reliable if you take care of it. Plus, you bought the car, so you should enjoy the car as much as you can if you ever decide to sell it.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
What to do with Evo

I wouldn't DD it, Not in an area where it snows in winter. Good way to ruin a car.

I would store it. Non-op it so you don't pay registration, and only put theft insurance on it.

Or sell it.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 07:20 AM

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys! Appreciate it!

I've put some time into thinking about this. If I can find a place to just store it for the next 2-3 years, even if I can't readily get to it/drive it, I think I'll go that route. If I can't find a decent place relatively quickly, then I'll probably try to sell it.

Ideally, I hope to hang onto it till I can move further south, then DD it. I wouldn't mind doing that when there's no salt/beat up roads.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Do the car port thing. it's not like it's constantly snowing. if you have every intention of driving it daily in the south then you can do the same in Illinois. Just cover up the evo during snow season and drive the Subaru in the snow. this way you'll save some life in your Subaru as well.