Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Starter problem help plz

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2015, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter problem help plz

I have an 03 evo that the starter isn't catching the flywheel for some reason. A couple days ago car runs perfect have had no trouble I went to crank it up one morning made a weird clicking noise but still cranked and I drove it not even a mile and I cut off the car tried to start it back up and all I heard was the starter spinning and would not crank so I replaced with new starter and it still spins no crank I've checked every topic on this site an nothing I can find to help me with this I've checked timing wires flywheel switches relays everything's in great shape and good working order it just won't crank and all I hear is spinning I need some serious help on this one plz
Old Sep 27, 2015, 07:19 PM

Check the new starter sometimes the auto parts store gave you the wrong one make sure you put the old and new together and check .i had this happen to me before
Old Sep 27, 2015, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by THANGEVO
Check the new starter sometimes the auto parts store gave you the wrong one make sure you put the old and new together and check .i had this happen to me before
I got the starter from stm but the old starter was just spinning as well and the flywheel feel and looks fine cause I put a clutch an flywheel in about 2 yrs ago
Old Sep 28, 2015, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The clicking you heard before when starting could have been one or more teeth missing on the flywheel. If the engine stops where a tooth is missing there is nothing for the starter to engage. Move the car in gear a few inches and try again.