Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HVAC Air Selection knob stopped working and temp doesn't get hot

Old Nov 30, 2015, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HVAC Air Selection knob stopped working and temp doesn't get hot

Air conditioning and heater were working fine. All of a sudden the air selection knob stopped working. No matter which selection I choose, the air keeps coming out of the front vents. I set the temperature knob to the hottest setting and it doesn't get hot. Does the hvac unit need to be replaced or just the heater core?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 07:44 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
maybe your cable popped off, or perhaps something worse. You just need to Open it up and see whats wrong. Its really easy just pull out the knobs, remove the two screws and pry the whole bezel away from the dash using some kind of plastic tool that will not damage your dash. You may be able to just tug on it with your hands depending on how stuck on there it is.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
If engine temperature comes up to normal as indicated by the coolant temperature gauge heat is available. If not suspect the thermostat.

There are two doors in the heater box each controlled by one of the large heater knobs. The one on the left controls the blend door which mixes warm and cold air to achieve the selected temperature. That may be stuck or the cable may be kinked or broken. The large knob on the right controls where the air goes. It also has a cable that could be stuck or broken.

The only time you would need a heater core is if it is leaking. On old cars I occasionally find the heater core plugged with some DIY fixit leak material that has been placed into the radiator.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

heat

Thanks guys, I'll check it out this weekend.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:09 AM

I hear they break often, better be careful with mine.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

evo

This is the first time it happend to me through three evo ix, but this is the first evo I've had that has surpassed 100k miles.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 08:21 AM

It is way more common on the VIII, at least in the US, because they didnt even give us a damn in cabin air filter.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
It is way more common on the VIII, at least in the US, because they didnt even give us a damn in cabin air filter.
Retro-fitting the cabin air filter into an 8 is so easy! A utility knife, the filter, a couple of screws (and screwdriver), and about 5 minutes of time and, BAM, you have a cabin air filter.

To the OP: If you really need heat (or in my case the heat for the defroster), you can fairly easily reach under the dash (on the right side near your gas pedal foot) and move the gear for the adjustment by hand.

Many of these things are covered in the HVAC mega thread.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by CoachG
Retro-fitting the cabin air filter into an 8 is so easy! A utility knife, the filter, a couple of screws (and screwdriver), and about 5 minutes of time and, BAM, you have a cabin air filter.

To the OP: If you really need heat (or in my case the heat for the defroster), you can fairly easily reach under the dash (on the right side near your gas pedal foot) and move the gear for the adjustment by hand.

Many of these things are covered in the HVAC mega thread.
Yes I know, and I have, but most wont know anything about it until it breaks. It just seems like such a dumb move on mitsu's part.