Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo Rebuild Questions

Old Dec 26, 2015, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Turbo Rebuild Questions

1. How many times is too many to rebuild a turbo?

2. Is it worth rebuilding a MAP EF3? Their longevity wasn't that great when new...
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have u already rebuilt it?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 01:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
There should be an issue why the turbo failed in the first place. Did you have the turbo rebuild already? If so did the company that rebuilt it give a failure analysis? Most turbo's will last a long time if they're used within they're operating range. Obviously a lot of us push the limits and in doing so significantly decrease the life span of our turbo's.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

I bought a used BBK from a user on this forum. It sat for about 4-5 months while I completed my build. I installed it and it didn't last the dyno session. This was the same time MAP came out with the EF series turbos. So I sent it in to be rebuilt as an EF3 that lasted less 400 miles, 2 full gas tanks.

So now I have an EF3 sitting here. MAP suggested I send it to gpopshop to have it rebuilt but I'm wondering if it has been rebuilt too many time or if it's even worth it as the reliability when new wasn't that great...
Old Dec 28, 2015, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Sounds like you have another issue at play....or REALLY bad luck. Are you running an in-line oil filter with this turbo? Where are you getting the oil Supply from for the turbo?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

I bought the oil line kit from FP for the BBK and ran the supplied oil line that came with the MAP turbo.
Both had filters.
Both ran from the oil filter housing.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I'd have to agree that you're just having a stroke of bad luck... I've got 13k on my EF4 without any issues. I hope you can get it all figured out! These turbos are a blast!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I can only speak about my dealings with FP since they are the only rebuilders I've dealt with. Yes, they're expensive and take a long time, but they're the best. I bought a used 9 turbo that had been rebuilt by some moron using spare parts from a vacuum cleaner or something. It was a complete turd and the car would not run with it installed. FP cleaned it right up and turned it into a JB hta green...this was about 5 years ago.

As long as the structural or non-moving parts of the turbo are undamaged, it should be able to be rebuilt. Your first incident with the BBK was likely due to it sitting unused for several months. I've installed turbos that were unused like that before and they usually **** the bed, even when I pre-oiled them. I have no direct experience with EF series turbos so any comment would be purely opinion, or based on general opinion found on this forum, where they aren't really highly regarded.

So I will say yes, your turbo can be rebuilt yet again. I haven't dealt with FP in years but as far as I know, they will still rebuild and convert MHI based turbos into anything you want. Not sure if they only do BB turbos or if they'll build the trusty old JBs they used to have. See if they'll do a JB green for you. Might not make the power you were after, but I think at this point you can appreciate having a drivable car with a turbo that will last more than 2 tanks of gas.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Tekniq
I bought the oil line kit from FP for the BBK and ran the supplied oil line that came with the MAP turbo.
Both had filters.
Which inline filter housing are you using? FP has 2, one for BB one for JB
Old Dec 30, 2015, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I also picked up a ef4 used and it came with the in line oil feed that I hooked up to my oil filter housing.
Started the car up and it drives and boosts fine, took it to get Dino tuned using a gm 3 port ebcs and it ran 20 psi on one pull then with out touching the boost setting it only made 13psi. It would appear as if the turbo is bad.
I found a company called turbo lab of America and got a rebuild kit with a copper thrust washer for $55 shipped. It even has better oiling capabilities, the person I spoke with said that the steel thrust washer in the ef4 series turbos is a good reason why most of them have no longevity.
There is even a video of turbolab on YouTube rebuilding a oem 9 turbo step by step, I was going to give it a shot doing the rebuild myself but I found a turbo rebuild shop by me that will rebuild it with the kit I provide and balance it for $150. Can't beat that deal. I was told it wouldn't need a balance if the shaft, compressor wheel and nut were marked and re tightened in the same order but I'm not taking the chance.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Bringing this back. So FP wants a MIN. of 400 to do a rebuild of a 71hta. Then I see this kit for 55 bucks. Who's done it and whats the ease/reliability Vs having a shop do it? Seems quite the savings for an annual endeavor. Assume all parts are straight and it's just seals leaking.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
It's pretty straight forward to assemble. But once assembled you have to check the axial and radial play to verify you have proper oil clearance. If it's not enough, you have to hone the bushing. And then you still need to balance the rotating assembly, as an assembly. I have a feeling that balancing is a large portion of the expense of an FP rebuild. That machine and setup isn't cheap..

I'm not really sure a turbo needs an annual rebuild. Especially since a track car isn't typically running a turbo and max output.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Tekniq
Both had filters.
and the penny dropped
Old Nov 26, 2016, 07:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
as long as there isnt no damage to the shaft
Old Feb 1, 2018, 05:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
Bringing this back. So FP wants a MIN. of 400 to do a rebuild of a 71hta. Then I see this kit for 55 bucks. Who's done it and whats the ease/reliability Vs having a shop do it? Seems quite the savings for an annual endeavor. Assume all parts are straight and it's just seals leaking.
I'm going to bring this back as well. Did you ever end up going with that kit and if so how's it been? My 9 turbo needs a rebuild and I can't decide between going with this kit or sending it somewhere.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo Rebuild Questions