Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Guy - Evo V - Should I Buy?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 06:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Guy - Evo V - Should I Buy?

Hey folks,
So I'm looking at an Evo V with around 150k on the clock, to be used for HPDE days. I've played around lots over the years with domestics, NA and supercharged (mostly Mustangs and Vette's), but this is my first foray into JDM. Man, I am overwhelmed trying to learn. Lots of search function time, and lots of reading.

Right now I'm looking at one in Canada, imported last year. My questions are:

- Clutch.
I've been told the stock unit is slipping. This concerns me, even though they're giving me an Exedy replacement with the car. I'd prefer the OEM clutch. Can I order this at my local Mitsu dealer? How much?

- Steering wheel
is cracking (leather wrap coming off). I'm told this is a common problem. I want to have the airbag intact, but I'm having trouble finding a stock replacement, or an aftermarket wheel-only, which would allow the steering wheel's guts to be reinstalled. Thoughts?

- Door trim
is very worn, around the arm rest (driver's side). I've been able to look up part numbers using a fiche, and found some available in JPN. I don't want to drop that much repairing worn out door skins if it's not necessary. I see some glue on leather trim on eBay, not sure if this is a good alternative. Used? Not sure where to find them.

- Seats.
The Recaros are a great seat, I've used lots of their products over the years. The passenger front is fine, and the bolsters in the driver's front are intact. No rips or tears. What there is though, is a lot of frayed thread and a few cig burns. Have people had luck cleaning the Evo V seats, and repairing burn holes?

- Service and KM's
Lastly the car is high K. I know jack squat about this power train, and I need to know if it can handle some abuse on the track. The car is bone stock, and rust free.

Thanks guys, looking forward to being schooled.
The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (May 28, 2016)
Old May 28, 2016, 08:37 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Theres a handful of members here w/models below the EVO 8/9 but the best site for the largest no.s of these owners are in the my signature below (see best EVO build link below)
Rishi65 (May 28, 2016)
Old May 28, 2016, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
You should consider a JDM Evo 7 since they are now legal in Canada (you can find them on craigslist, or import 1 yourself). You will have a much easier time sourcing parts since most parts are shared with the USDM Evo 8/9.

If you do go with a 5/6, you better make friends with a parts importer.

P.S. Get a 7 RS if you can.
Rishi65 (May 28, 2016)
Old May 28, 2016, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
The OEM clutch sucks on the 4-6. Can barely hold the stock power.
Old May 29, 2016, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

The 3/5/6 are one of the best cars you can get for autox and rallyx. Very reliable. Lots of parts interchangeability with the mirage/lancers and the Evo 8/9.

I have a 6.
I recently changed my clutch and flywheel to a Evo 9 unit. Is a bolt on fit. Clutch job will take you about 20 hrs if you are doing it first time.
Evo 8/9 suspension can be installed on the 6 with minor mods (and 20 mins of drilling)
The peeling door cloth can be taken out and there is a tough vinyl panel underneath that looks much better than the cloth.
Evo 9 turbo is a direct fit.

Finally join Evo 4g63 Canada group on Facebook. Tons of people with tons of parts. I've never had to order parts from outside Canada/USA in over 2 years of ownership.

Also having autoxed and rallyxed a 2,6 and 9, I would prefer a 6 over a 2 over a 9. If I could I would have a 5/6/6.5 AND a 2/3.

Last edited by overdrive1; May 29, 2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old May 29, 2016, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by overdrive1
Finally join Evo 4g63 Canada group on Facebook. Tons of people with tons of parts. I've never had to order parts from outside Canada/USA in over 2 years of ownership.
Whats the facebook group link? I would like to join.
Old May 29, 2016, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

https://m.facebook.com/groups/187116...?ref=bookmarks
Old May 29, 2016, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
you can fit a 8/9 clutch aslong as you fit flywheel aswell