Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Slightly smaller battery for UICP

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Slightly smaller battery for UICP

Whats up guys, I'm having a minor setback with some new mods. I bought a Muse UICP and am using a Tial Q with it. It is stock route since I have no desire to run a mini battery. I also am not interested in relocating to the trunk, I hate the look of wires just hanging around.

The problem is that the top of the BOV is hitting the stock battery. No matter how you adjust the piping, it will not clear the battery. Now I've been searching through threads and have seen people running civic and miata batteries. That seems like the obvious thing to do in my case. But alot of people get those batteries and turn them sideways to fit short route piping. Apparently that causes the need for a new tray, or modifications to the OEM tray. I am not creative or handy enough to modify and weld stuff to make it work.

So I am wondering if there are batteries that are just slightly smaller than OEM that can be used in the stock tray. Most people turning batteries need tons of extra room for the shorter piping. I only need like 2-3 inches. Could I use a civic or miata battery mounted like the OEM battery? Any help is appreciated.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 02:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Pictures would help.

But, you should really consider just putting the battery in the trunk lol. Frees up a lot of room in the engine bay, looks better, better weight distribution, etc..
Old Jun 13, 2016, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
If its hitting your stock sized battery and only the battery then get yourself a smaller battery and call it a day. The stock tray will work fine unless its significantly smaller then you may need to shorten the threaded rods but I doubt that'll be the case. Either way its a simple modification no welding required.

FWIW Im using the stock battery tray still with a mini battery and the stock tie down would have worked fine with my battery. I made some revisions however to accommodate my intercooler piping and made it more visually appealing with a different bracket however if oure running the stock routing and there is no other interference no reason a slightly smaller battery in the stock tray wont work for you.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Pictures would help.

But, you should really consider just putting the battery in the trunk lol. Frees up a lot of room in the engine bay, looks better, better weight distribution, etc..
I'll post pictures in just a second. And I really strongly considered it, but every picture I see, people don't try to hide the wiring under the hood and I think it looks awful. Don't wanna have to worry about trying to clean up under hood if I can just get another battery. Plus the car is 100% street driven, if I was competitive I probably would.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
If its hitting your stock sized battery and only the battery then get yourself a smaller battery and call it a day. The stock tray will work fine unless its significantly smaller then you may need to shorten the threaded rods but I doubt that'll be the case. Either way its a simple modification no welding required.

FWIW Im using the stock battery tray still with a mini battery and the stock tie down would have worked fine with my battery. I made some revisions however to accommodate my intercooler piping and made it more visually appealing with a different bracket however if oure running the stock routing and there is no other interference no reason a slightly smaller battery in the stock tray wont work for you.
Yeah, I get what you're saying, probably will work. Thanks for the input
Old Jun 13, 2016, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

The first picture is with coupler on the throttle body, and the valve is hitting the battery.

The second is with me holding the pipe farther left, mimicking how far it will be over when completely on the throttle body.

Old Jun 13, 2016, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Just measured, looks like I'll need to free up about 3" to be safe. Probably only need 2.5 though. Not sure I'll find what I'm looking for. I'll need something 6" wide.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
i use this...

http://www.techbatterysolutions.com/...utm_term=ETX14

but if you google "evolutionm small battery"... .all kinds of stuff comes up.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by hutch959
i use this...

http://www.techbatterysolutions.com/...utm_term=ETX14

but if you google "evolutionm small battery"... .all kinds of stuff comes up.
What terminals/battery posts did you use for the Deka battery?
Old Jun 17, 2016, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The Miata AGM battery has worked great on my IX

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#post11114966

post# 19