Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Pending recalls for K members

Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superbovine
Its been several weeks since I did mine and I had it up on a lift today to check out some rim damage (argh) and got a chance to see how it looked after lots of aging.
Yeah, it's a worse situation than I previously indicated when talking about (real) show quality cars and ultra low milers. The interior stuff is no longer actively dripping but there is very light seepage likely from air being pushed through the member while driving. The big deal is the external coating. It does not harden entirely as I mentioned, but it is even softer than I expected after adequate curing time. If you drive down any dirt roads, it sticks. Badly.
I took some pictures, I'll have to upload them later though.
Joy...I live on a dirt road and doubt they'll get replaced. Wondering if it's even worth bringing in...
Old Sep 27, 2016, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by R3define
Joy...I live on a dirt road and doubt they'll get replaced. Wondering if it's even worth bringing in...
If you don't have obvious rust, it is slim chances you will get it replaced. Remember it is perforation that qualifies it. Also keep in mind that even if you get a new one which theoretically should have been treated for rust properly (the reason they are recalling them is they think the rust treatment to the metal was not sufficient), it will still get the coatings applied.

To anyone with a particularly nice car and no rust to speak of and no likelihood of rust forming, it might be worth blowing it off until (if) there is a valid reason to do something about it.

Rear picture is blurry and hard to make out, but that is a view of behind the driver side of the cross member where of course there is probably the least exposure when driving forward. The white dots all over are grains of sand stuck in the coating. Disregard the white on the sway bar, that is just muddy water spots. There is no coating on the sway bar.

Front picture by oil filter is much more obvious why this is a problem. It is just as nasty as it looks when seen in person. To those of you here in the industry as I know there are a few... this consistency is like the underside of pretty much any VW that is over 5 years old. If you've worked on one of those and know what I am talking about, you likely know how nasty it is to work on as they smear you with gunk as you reach through/around/etc the gunk. Of course in VW case it is more a product of not being able to keep oil inside the car then dirt caking in it, but the end result is the same; oily gunky dirt coating. Not cool for techs.
Attached Thumbnails Pending recalls for K members-2016-09-27-13.11.34.jpg   Pending recalls for K members-2016-09-27-13.11.13.jpg  
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I looked under mine today but didn't see any issues. Then again I am not a pro. Anyone see anything funky? If I even took the right kind of pictures lol.

Old Sep 28, 2016, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Nah, nothing too obvious there. The third pic shows some heavy surface rust but that is about it. If you want to test it yourself, take a drift and hammer and tap firmly in the circled area to see if you can bust through it. That is what they are going to do if you take it in (a bit more precise, but you get the general idea).
Further... inspection protocol is a 1lb hammer with a ~4 inch swing only. So not a lot force for the test. I may or may not be a little more zealous when I do it

Of course if you see any signs of perforation even not in that area, that is a sealed deal for replacement. That area is just the most common point to rust through and potentially be dangerous, so on "Clean" looking ones, that is where they go to see if there is any signs of rot forthcoming.
Attached Thumbnails Pending recalls for K members-80-image_1331cc70ad4383001bdcb9f124c9d3cd44ff4bf0.jpg  
Old Feb 24, 2017, 03:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi there. I am about to buy an 03 Evo and discovered this ...

Anyone know if it would be covered under the recall?

Thank you.

Old Feb 24, 2017, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rocky_D
Hi there. I am about to buy an 03 Evo and discovered this ...

Anyone know if it would be covered under the recall?

Thank you.

It looks like there is perforation about two inches behind the control arm knuckle. If I'm seeing that correctly, that is a guaranteed replacement. Any rust holes through the k member justify replacement, regardless of location on it.
It looks like someone did some sketchy welding there too maybe... That can complicate things, but as long as the original structure is what is rusting, I would take the stance that it was an attempt to repair the rust (though likely untrue, probably just a really bad job changing control arms), and they are likely to overlook it and replace anyway.
The following users liked this post:
Rocky_D (Feb 24, 2017)
Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts
Ouch. Getting a new K member is pretty cool considering the cars are 10+ years old. Good on mitsu
Old Jun 23, 2017, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Just got my Evo back from having the crossmember recall performed. I was told if they can't successfully remove the control arms from the crossmember, Mitsu has to throw on new control arms. I ended up getting new control arms installed for free ... keep that in mind for guys in northern states with loose ball joints.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Sweet! Yep, collateral damage within reason is covered
Old Jun 24, 2017, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Just grabbed a few pics of mine.

I notice there is a loose bolt ( also notice I'm missing the bar the above pic has ).. But besides that. Does this look like it warrants a replacement?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

That doesn't look too bad - just some surface rust. I'm sure they'll just rust proof that.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by superbovine
Yeah the pay sucks on them, I wish we could bill 10 hours... hell I wish we could bill 5 hours..
Actual paid labor is 3.2 hours. If you have an extremely bad example you could get up to an hour added however it is not easy and requires a corporate over ride and thorough justification. Basically you get 3.2 hours no matter what.

Mitsu only gives 3.2 hours for a K member replacement? That's amazingly low. It took me two hours to get the control arms off when I swapped in new ones a few weeks ago.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
So if there is no obvious corrosion, is one possible option to slow the onset of corrosion to drill holes in the areas where water collects and then protect the newly exposed metal?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitEvoIX
Just got my Evo back from having the crossmember recall performed. I was told if they can't successfully remove the control arms from the crossmember, Mitsu has to throw on new control arms. I ended up getting new control arms installed for free ... keep that in mind for guys in northern states with loose ball joints.
Where did you go?? I'd love to go to that dealer, especially if you're in SE michigan
Old Jun 26, 2017, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
my k member is so covered in oil from the oil leak on the old engine, I bet the metal inside is brand new looking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pending recalls for K members