Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Pending recalls for K members

Old Jul 21, 2016, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Pending recalls for K members

Hey guys,

Just a heads up we have a recall forming for the K members rusting on the Lancers and Evos from 02-07. Its a rust-belt only recall for right now (northeastern states, Canada) so if you are in that area (or your vehicle was ever registered in that area in the past) you'll be up for either undercoating or replacement depending on condition. This is still several months out, but something to think about especially if you were planning on doing control arm bushes etc in the future and you know you have rust.

There is possibility for expansion outside the rust belt and outside the Lancer range as well. Two months ago we started taking documentation photos for southern examples to see if the recall needs to be nationwide or not (same thing happened with Endeavors and the fuel pipe rust issue... even though southern states rarely had issues, it eventually expanded to all 50). Also we started documenting Eclipse/Endeavor/Galant K-members too. They are not in this first release, but there is potential they may be added later as well.

For right now, the only thing that we know for certain is rust belt and Lancer/Evo, and most likely a few Outlanders. When we get official information I'll update it.

Update 8/16/16
Should have official documentation in a few days. Apparently this recall is not going to be based on visual condition from the sounds of it, but this time it is likely going to have a punch-through test or similar (check certain weak spots to see if you can drive a hole through it etc). That is the rumor anyway.
Hopefully by this weekend/first of the week we'll have full details.

Update 8-19-16

Alright guys, the meat is in.

Recall has been expanded to include 2003-2006 Outlanders too (previously expected to only cover 02-07 Lancer and 07-13 Outlander).

Official registration requirements:
Currently or ever registered in Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Washington D.C.

Letters are launching this weekend but there is no definite date of beginning. Replacement parts are not yet available in large enough quantities... sort of like the Eclipse recall delays last year, owners will be notified and told to expect another notification when parts are available.

Special exception #1: If you have a special case scenario (like your junk is falling apart), special exceptions will be made to expedite the process ahead of inventory replenishing. We are talking "unfit for the road" type conditions though.

Special exception #2: If you have a vehicle that was never registered in any of the states above,further action may still be applicable even though the vehicle is technically excluded. This would be a case by case basis to be evaluated by those higher-up than the dealership employees.

Official actions during inspection:
Vehicle will be visually inspected for signs of rust on the K member. If rust is found, it will be cleaned off.
Once cleaned, perforation will be checked. If the K member has any perforation (rust holes basically), it will be replaced.
If no holes are found, punch testing will be performed to check for weak spots (rust that has not fully perforated but has degraded the integrity of the part). If perforations are found, the K member will be replaced.
If no rust or no perforations are found, an anti-rust agent will be applied to the inside and outside of the K member.

Perforation inspection will be performed with a controlled distance tap of a drift to a precise location where perforation is most likely. This area on an Evo is just behind the LCA front mounting area. Controlled tap is a 1lb swing at 4 inches away, 5 times.

Again if it passes the perforation test, a rust proofing/anti rust agent will be coated on the member. There is a thin wax like protective coating for the exterior much like Endeavor fuel necks receive etc, then there is a different industrial type sealant that will be applied inside the K member at all manufacturing holes to fill the member until it is seeping out basically, protecting the areas where water/salt wash in but don't rinse out.

There is no indication that any reimbursements will be made on previous repairs for this recall (likely due to the severity being subjective?). That may change in the future, but for right now it is not even being mentioned.

Last edited by superbovine; Aug 19, 2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Since on a rusty car the subframe can be all but impossible to remove, this could prove to be interesting.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Damn huh

https://www.cars.com/articles/recall...1420685093947/
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Since on a rusty car the subframe can be all but impossible to remove, this could prove to be interesting.

It will be interesting. The upper member nuts like to break the stud free from its cage requiring cutting the frame open to remove or weld... so that sucks. Also the control arm bolts are common to seize onto the sleeve in the bushing making removal a nightmare too.
Suffice to say, I'm not terribly excited about this. The upside for me is I live in the south, so only transplanted cars will be eligible where I am
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by superbovine
It will be interesting. The upper member nuts like to break the stud free from its cage requiring cutting the frame open to remove or weld... so that sucks. Also the control arm bolts are common to seize onto the sleeve in the bushing making removal a nightmare too.
Suffice to say, I'm not terribly excited about this. The upside for me is I live in the south, so only transplanted cars will be eligible where I am
New nuts and bolts for the control arm are $7 a pop for either. How do I know? I have two holes in my subframe from having to cut it open to get a wrench on the nut.... What a pita, lol.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lancerrally45
New nuts and bolts for the control arm are $7 a pop for either. How do I know? I have two holes in my subframe from having to cut it open to get a wrench on the nut.... What a pita, lol.

lol. I dread doing mine... my DD is a Maryland/Virginia car so it is included. They haven't sent us official specs on what gets replaced and what doesn't, but I've got some decent rust on it anyway... its going to get replaced regardless I'm sure. Not excited about it.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
thanks for the heads up, im sure im gonna get something in the mails soon
Old Jul 22, 2016, 04:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
have you contacted mitsubishi yet about it?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Damn. Wonder if my car will have issues. Car was registered most of its life in Kansas right on the border with missouri which is listed in the article. Does anyone know if there have been accidents caused by this or is mitsu just being proactive?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pistons4550
Damn. Wonder if my car will have issues. Car was registered most of its life in Kansas right on the border with missouri which is listed in the article. Does anyone know if there have been accidents caused by this or is mitsu just being proactive?
You have to have had either a registration or an original sale location in one of the states covered (unless it expands, like the airbag recall did). They will all be inspections then replacement depending on severity of corrosion. When I get photos of good/bad examples used to determine replacement I'll post them. If you haven't had a registration in an effected state though, you won't be up for consideration at this time; being adjacent doesn't count
Old Jul 24, 2016, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonder how they'll track down owners. Since purchasing my '03 new in PA, I have lived in MA, NY, and NJ. Every state is included in the recall.

Wait and see if Mitsu does this one right.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by superbovine
You have to have had either a registration or an original sale location in one of the states covered (unless it expands, like the airbag recall did). They will all be inspections then replacement depending on severity of corrosion. When I get photos of good/bad examples used to determine replacement I'll post them. If you haven't had a registration in an effected state though, you won't be up for consideration at this time; being adjacent doesn't count
I understand what you were saying, im just saying my car was on the border with an affected state. So maybe my car has the issue but wont get looked at because it wasnt actually registered in that state ( it was in Kansas city which is half Kansas half Missouri)
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

The first consideration is if you aren't in a state that predominantly uses salt for ice clearing you will only expect typical amounts of corrosion. These all will rust over time. So being nearby a state that salts roads isn't going to have any real impact your vehicle unless you cross over to that state every single day for work. Again the line gets drawn somewhere. If you end up having abnormal amounts of rust, you'll just need to sit right and see if it expands to fifty states like previous ones have done. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts it probably won't qualify on condition anyway, but again we'll see once I get the grading/qualifications information.
The second consideration is that just being exposed doesn't guarantee your car will fall apart or anything. On this same issue with Endeavor fuel pipe corrosion the actual affected units that required replacement were extremely low... Like 1-2% nationwide, salt states about 20%.
Again when I have full internal details I'll share, it's still a good bit off though, we haven't gotten a full ATIN yet.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This is great news, I got my car from PA and it has some pretty decent corrosion on the subframe.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
If there is a recall what does this mean for me? Is this a bring your car to the dealer and they will R&R the subframe with a new one? BC if that is the case while that is great Im all set with that noise; hence why I havent had my passenger side airbag replaced.

However in the past I had to cut open my subframe destroy a LCA and other fun stuff to fix this in the past. If they are willing to compensate me for my time or pay for a new subframe then I might be interested.
The following users liked this post:
Tuxevo (Aug 20, 2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pending recalls for K members