Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Fair price for an Evo IX MR nowadays?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bought mine with 18k miles one owner. 28k
Old Sep 22, 2016, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice! I ended up buying it. 78k for $18.5K. Stock.

Pretty good condition. Just some minor cosmetic stuff. New clutch and 60k service done with proof.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Great deal!
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by evoul18

Pretty good condition. Just some minor cosmetic stuff. New clutch and 60k service done with proof.
You got a damn good deal dude.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by astral
You got a damn good deal dude.
agree. gratz and let the mods begin!
Old Sep 24, 2016, 03:38 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Blah blah..

Anyway, $19k is VERY reasonable. I paid $17k for one with 115k and a bad clutch. Would have been less, but someone told the dealership I really wanted it LOL
Old Sep 25, 2016, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Anywhere from 18-28. You get what you pay for. I wouldn't go less then 18
Old Sep 25, 2016, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Astro_Train
everything made perfect sense until you threw in the Subaru monkey wrench comment into it

to any person seeking a CT9A Evo in mint condition, a Subie is probly the last thing on their "other cars to consider"

why would anyone want an STi with that crap engine... I've had two of them.. until they put a new motor in the STi forget it.

I agree that on the upper price you said though, but to me $24k is on the high end I would pay for a mint Evo... say under 70k miles, no accidents, no extensive mods and garaged kept with no rust. As close to stock Evo to me is worth more than any modded car no matter how much money the current owner has put into it... that is why I do not get cars out there for sale that are heavily modded for upper 20s to low 30s prices.
Crap? No. The EJ25 is not a crap engine. In fact it is a very balanced engine that does exactly what was intended and holds power well. It may be more expensive to build than the 4g63 forklift motor that has been around since Jimmy Carter was in office but to call it a **** motor is straight ignorance.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by evoul18

Congrats, you got a pretty good deal. I'm the original owner of my bone stock IX SE with 98k miles, and I wouldn't have sold mine for that much. Good for you!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by fragmonkee
Crap? No. The EJ25 is not a crap engine. In fact it is a very balanced engine that does exactly what was intended and holds power well. It may be more expensive to build than the 4g63 forklift motor that has been around since Jimmy Carter was in office but to call it a **** motor is straight ignorance.
yep I am ignorant... I just make this stuff up... sorry to go off topic

I owned two Subarus (07 STi, 05 WRX) like many here before ever owning an Evo. And I experienced it first hand. 07 is apparently when the issues started as the GD models prior to 07 did not have this problem. My 07 had a terrible stock tune with bad hesitation issues that plagued that year of STI, I did a Cobb AP somewhat resolved the issue. I did not want to deal with having to do a full build because of the cost so I sold the car and bought an 05 WRX, never had issues with it but I ran an AP with a full COBB turboback.

I am not sure what your background is or you are aware of the history with Subies, but it is a well known and documented issue still plaguing the STi. Had two local friends with 08 Hatch STis which both had their motors fail due to the broken ringlands. STOCK motors. Reputable Subie shops have narrowed down the issue to the weak pistons in the car and lean stock tune from the factory due to the emissions standards from 07 and on, so automatically any owner has to mod their car or risk the motor popping. Threads from IWSTI and from NASIOC out of half dozen that you can just google. So please don't call people ignorant when there are clear facts that the engine has major issues. The new WRX has the newer motor and apparently is doing fine but time will tell. I am curious as to what Subaru will put into the next STi as I am sure they will finally change the motor.

The 4g63 is old for a reason... it is proven, well built, that can take mods easily. It is not even a comparison. You throw bolt ons on any STI without considering a tune and you are def asking for the motor to pop.

The sad part is folks in their own community try to defend the cause of the issue yet some of them just accept it. Sorry again for the off topic comment OP.

BTW I just finalized a deal for a IX RS. So happy coming back to CT9A Platform

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1632634

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite...re-subaru.html

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/warranty...ew-11-sti.html

http://www.blackbearsti.com/Wordpres...land-failures/

Here is a thread from a reputable Subie shop that clearly states the weakness in the stock EJ internals from 07+ years. They still try and defend and call the motor balanced.. but to who..? to the average consumer that will op not do a full rebuild to have a reliable car? or the small percentage of enthusiasts and have the budget and dump 5 to 10k on a car to have it made "reliable" on top of paying $35k for the car

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...s-engine-tech/

The bottom line it still requires a significant amount of investment costly to the average consumer. So to call it balanced, is very subjective.