Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Do I need to upgraded fuel pump for a dyno tune?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2016, 02:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 9 tuning question

Hi I'm getting a dyno tune soon and it's my first time to do a dyno tune on my evo 9, just wondering what I need to prepare before a tune? I know I'll have to make sure all fluid are on level and clean but I'm not sure if I need to urgraded my fuel pump before tuning? If so which fuel pump is the best for evo9? I'm still running stock ecu and stock turbo.

Last edited by eddy5201314; Dec 28, 2016 at 06:01 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
it really depends on what your mods are. if you have no mods and just tuning, the stocker should be fine. but, a upgraded fuel pump is a cheap extra security especially if you are trying to boost more. more boost=more fuel you need. i think you should. plus it takes only about an hour to do.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 06:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What mods do you have?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 07:09 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Before a tune, I would recommend the following mods

255 Walbro
Full 3" exhaust w/DP (no CAT or high flow CAT)
Open air intake or mesh (K&N filter)
1000cc injectors
3 port boost solenoid
Tephra ECU program supplied by tuner

Start w/the above, then tune
Old Dec 8, 2016, 12:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if bone stock, no need
Old Dec 8, 2016, 12:45 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious

255 Walbro
1000cc injectors
3 port boost solenoid

This is the secret sauce right here. I would add maybe one or two things and thats a LICP which will be good for better spool, and a 3 bar (evo X) map sensor for PSI based boost control plus the ability to log boost.
The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Dec 8, 2016)
Old Dec 8, 2016, 12:55 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
This is the secret sauce right here. I would add maybe one or two things and thats a LICP which will be good for better spool, and a 3 bar (evo X) map sensor for PSI based boost control plus the ability to log boost.
We agree. Why mess around w/a soft tune, spending the tune dollars

Add some worthy bolt ons & maximize the tune results the first time
Old Dec 8, 2016, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bhsj13
it really depends on what your mods are. if you have no mods and just tuning, the stocker should be fine. but, a upgraded fuel pump is a cheap extra security especially if you are trying to boost more. more boost=more fuel you need. i think you should. plus it takes only about an hour to do.
im only running all basic mods like exhaust, intake, but I do have a ape in safc 2 mounted but never play with it since I bought the car, is this thing helpful when tuning?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

255 Walbro
1000cc injectors
3 port boost solenoid

thanks, is the 1000cc injector necessary? I'm only running stock turbo stock internal
Old Dec 8, 2016, 05:58 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by eddy5201314
thanks, is the 1000cc injector necessary? I'm only running stock turbo stock internal
To maximize the tune, I would get the Walbro & at least 750cc injectors & all the other bits noted above. I forgot to add the FMIC & the pipes as noted by Biggie. Your tuner then can raise your boost (i.e. 25 psi)

I think the 550cc stock injectors (not sure if thats the size on the EVO5?) might be at the max duty cycle w/the noted bolt-ons & the tune

Just trying to give you food for thought. After personally going through a few different tuning sessions, adding the proper bolt-ons to start will decrease the amount of tuning sessions needed

As an example, Im on the stock motor / stock cams, but run all those noted bolt-ons & im tuned at a 407whp Dynojet no.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

255 Walbro
1000cc injectors
3 port boost solenoid

To maximize the tune, I would get the Walbro & at least 750cc injectors & all the other bits noted above. I forgot to add the FMIC & the pipes as noted by Biggie. Your tuner then can raise your boost (i.e. 25 psi)

I think the 550cc stock injectors (not sure if thats the size on the EVO5?) might be at the max duty cycle w/the noted bolt-ons & the tune

Just trying to give you food for thought. After personally going through a few different tuning sessions, adding the proper bolt-ons to start will decrease the amount of tuning sessions needed

As an example, Im on the stock motor / stock cams, but run all those noted bolt-ons & im tuned at a 407whp Dynojet no.
okay thanks, I'll upgraded the fuel pump and injector at least. and I swap the car to an JDM evo 9 now
also I'm getting the MAP 02 dump pipe, but I'm worrying about for the year vehicle fitness check might not be pass, if not is it easy to swap it back the stock o2 dump?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Same 560cc injectors from the E5-9. And is that 407 on pump gas? Those are some great numbers for an untouched motor. Is the turbo also stock?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 07:47 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Ferp
Same 560cc injectors from the E5-9. And is that 407 on pump gas? Those are some great numbers for an untouched motor. Is the turbo also stock?

Only way is w/E85 (pump gas+) (stock turbo at 27 psi)
Old Dec 8, 2016, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Only way is w/E85 (pump gas+) (stock turbo at 27 psi)
I wish E85 was an option where I live. 94 octane, making 329awhp on my IV. I guess I'll have to live with it.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 11:27 PM
Evolving Member

Is anyone running open dump pipe with stock turbo evo9? Will it have any issue if I'm running a stock turbo and run MAP open dump pipe?

Quick Reply: Do I need to upgraded fuel pump for a dyno tune?