Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Twin disk vs single disk for a daily? And why?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 05:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock clutch? LOL. I have an HDSS. Started grinding fourth with 11k on it. May not be the clutch but then again I launch it hard with preload and that's a lot on single disks
Old Dec 27, 2016, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
I had a friend who competitively autox'd his evo on the stock clutch. Got 60K miles out of the original clutch. Might need to work on your launching technique.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 08:16 AM

I've had a Exedy twin SD AND TWIN HD clutch
Been using them since 2008. It seems like i go through them approx every 3 years.
The car is daily, but i wouldn't say i beat on it a lot. But i deal with a lot of HILLS and Clutch drag since its an On and Off Switch, i need to drag it a little bit on hills.
I would definitely say go with the SD since it feels a bit softer.
But ive had 2 HD's and currently is on an HD, with fully built Jack Trans and it runs like a Champ !
I never had the Twin disk "Ruin" my transmission.
I got the upgrades because it was all thats left to do and I had the funds to play with the car.
I love my Execy Twin Clutch
Why have a Single clutch when you can just go with the double for the Same labor prices.
But again, its all how you drive.
you have a TWIN DISK.. 2 Clutches !
Why go with 1 when you can have 2 ?
I know people who install single disks 2x a much before i do REDO my twin disk.
Either way your car will drive fine. So as long as your not at 800tq basic bolt ons ? twin is going to be perfectly fine for a daily driver with some abuse.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 08:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The exedy twin is not an on/off switch. I love mine in my car, it drives awesome.

For the OP's needs it's completely unnecessary though. An exedy stage 1 single disc, ACT hdss, OEM, or Comp Stage 2 would all be great clutches. And much less expensive.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 08:22 AM

One last thing...

As you wear through your TWIN CLUTCH

MAKE SURE YOH ADJUST YOUR CLUTCH PEDAL !!!!!!

You should Re-Adjust the clutch pedal engagement as it wears down for optimal performance.

No one ever told me this ! And you can feel the major difference in engagement as you adjust through use! Dont over look that.

Also ! Because the TWIN clutch is so heavy (HD) you MAY tend to wear through your Clutch Pedal assembly ! The housing can crack over Years ! Of abuse.

I bought used clutch pedal assembly from ebay for like $60.

Just keep that in mind.. theres always a chain reaction with everything you do on cars.

Clutch pedal assmebly MAY, not Will, MAY ! crack over the years.
Clutch ss Lines should all be changed WHILE your at it

So be sure to get all the SUPPORTINGS mods to go with it.

Bushings, SS lines, Fluids, etc

I'm in NYC. And i have an Exedy Twin HD ! (Not SD ! The SD is fine) up hills regularly and you will hear the Grinding sounds of riding the clutch because it is ON and OFF. Anyone with experience with specifically an "EXEDY TWIN HD" will tell you the same. ITS AN ON AND OFF SWITCH until you really break it in. It will feel natural eventually. Say, 1500-2000 miles later.

Last edited by NYC EVO IX; Dec 27, 2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 08:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Again, not an on-off switch...

The noise it makes isn't a grinding noise. IF yours makes a grinding noise, you should take it apart and inspect whats going on. What it sounds like is a dying seal...LOL
Old Dec 27, 2016, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Again, not an on-off switch...

The noise it makes isn't a grinding noise. IF yours makes a grinding noise, you should take it apart and inspect whats going on. What it sounds like is a dying seal...LOL

OH ok you're THAT guy.

let me go back to my GTR forums..
Old Dec 27, 2016, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

The Exedy twin will be more enjoyable to drive than the act 6 puck and is more than enough for your needs.

P.S. 4th gear grinding is probably your transmission not your clutch. Do a fresh redline cocktail and see if it improves.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by NYC EVO IX
OH ok you're THAT guy.

let me go back to my GTR forums..
I'm not "that" guy. You're the one on here mis-representing how a clutch drives. If you think the Exedy twin is on/off, you clearly haven't driven a QM 8 leg, or a racecar that truly has an on/off multi-plate small diameter clutch.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 01:18 PM

Id say I launch the car well since my 100k mi tcase is fine lol. Refreshed trans fluid. New slave, braided line, and fluid. Adjusted properly. I assume i have a flywheel/clutch disc issue causing drag
Old Dec 27, 2016, 01:33 PM
EvoM Guru

With 100k on the trans, I would say it isn't the clutch. A clutch issue would present itself in every gear with high rpm lock out..
Old Dec 27, 2016, 07:40 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Sometimes I wish we all were required to take a test before being allowed to give technical advice.
Or at least have to add an "opinion, not fact" disclaimer. LOL

Poor OP would be spending a fortune on needless parts, if he were to pay attention to half these posts.
The following users liked this post:
colo_evo (Oct 1, 2019)
Old Dec 28, 2016, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Poor OP would be spending a fortune on needless parts, if he were to pay attention to half these posts.
I tried to tell him to stay OEM at 300whp, but if the decision is between an Exedy Twin and an ACT 6 puck, the Exedy twin wins hands down imo.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:14 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by nemsin
I tried to tell him to stay OEM at 300whp, but if the decision is between an Exedy Twin and an ACT 6 puck, the Exedy twin wins hands down imo.
The problem is we have to fight our "car guy" urges to buy upgraded parts. It's a lot more fun buying a twin disc, than an OEM clutch.

I'm sure we've all been there, done that. haha. The temptation is real.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

My current evo with 401 hp and 418 torque on a mustang dyno had a ACT HDSS on it. I bought it with the car and put about 35k miles on it.... Don't know how many miles were on it prior to me owning the car. I was also told it was an ACT 6 puck..... didn't discover the previous owner lied or got the clutches mixed up.

Quit shocked it lasted that long..... Now..... I launched it 6-7 times.... but do beat on my car. Heel-toeing on every turn ect ect.

Had a buddy drop the trans cause I thought I blew a rear main seal. The clutch was on its last life so I went ahead and replaced it with an Exedy Twin disk.

I have about 600 miles on the clutch but had to put it away for the winter. So far I like it.

TDLR:

ACT HDSS on a car pushing 401hp and 418 torque on a mustang dyno with 35k+ miles of abused miles and 6-7 hard launches. Plus what ever the previous owner had put on it.

Good clutch, would have bought another HDSS but I plan on doing an FP red soon so why not upgrade to the Exedy Twin.

Quick Reply: Twin disk vs single disk for a daily? And why?