Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Twin disk vs single disk for a daily? And why?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:43 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Hotsauce101

TDLR:

ACT HDSS on a car pushing 401hp and 418 torque on a mustang dyno with 35k+ miles of abused miles and 6-7 hard launches. Plus what ever the previous owner had put on it.

Good clutch, would have bought another HDSS but I plan on doing an FP red soon so why not upgrade to the Exedy Twin.
Same experience here. I've learned to launch mine a bit at AutoX...but it's rare that I do it and I wouldn't suggest it. For anything other than drag racing, though =
Old Jan 2, 2017, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Same experience here. I've learned to launch mine a bit at AutoX...but it's rare that I do it and I wouldn't suggest it. For anything other than drag racing, though =
Used my HDSS for damn near 40k miles before I pulled it, the clutch still had life on it. This is with Auto-cross and drag events.

I ended up switching to English Racing's unsprung comp stg 2, which has survived (surprisingly) 23k at 500+ ftlbs of torque.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_latino999
Used my HDSS for damn near 40k miles before I pulled it, the clutch still had life on it. This is with Auto-cross and drag events.

I ended up switching to English Racing's unsprung comp stg 2, which has survived (surprisingly) 23k at 500+ ftlbs of torque.
Which of those 2 was easier for daily driving and more own like?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Like Kaj suggested, at the power levels you are aiming for, it is best to stay with the OEM.

A friend of mine decided it was a great upgrade, at 300wtq, to go for a Spec Twin disk. His car is his daily, and it has become unbearable to drive.. When I asked him why he went with a Spec over the OEM, he said because why not upgrade when you have a chance. Lack of experience is key here.

I have been running an Exedy Twin HD for more than 5 years. Although my car is not my daily, and it has more than 550wtq. It has handled everything that has been thrown at it.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 01:11 AM
kaj

I cringe every time someone says "If I'm replacing, why not upgrade?". or "I'd rather overbuild than in case i decide to go big later" (They never do), etc. That often means they are about to make a decision they will later regret LOL.
I speak from experience haha.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by silverevo05
Which of those 2 was easier for daily driving and more own like?
The ACT was smoother, but had a heavier pressure plate by far. I misspoke earlier when I said I had the HD pressure plate, I was using the XT PP.

Switiching to the Comp, the pressure plate was much lighter than the ACT but able to cope with the torque. It has more NVH thanks to being unsprung.

I could be convinced to remain with a single and use the comp again when this burns out.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 09:49 AM
kaj

I can vouch for the XTPP. It's way stiff and not fun to drive on the street or even the road course, for that matter.
The HDPP hold up to 350ish wtq with the street disc and 500wtq with a 6 puck. I can't imagine needing more.
The XTPP I think only comes with the 6 puck and holds 600wtq. I don't know anyone that needs that LOL.
This forum is full of threads with people having twin disc problems. They take a certain amount of luck and or patience and maintenance to work correctly LOL. Maybe not, but it does seem like they have frequent problems. I've only personally known two people that ran twin discs and had nothing but problems.

They are for race cars, IMO. (Says the guy that has race car safety equipment in his car and has to drive it on the street from time to time).
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
They are for race cars, IMO. (Says the guy that has race car safety equipment in his car and has to drive it on the street from time to time).
I do agree with you when it comes to cost. The rebuild cost for a twin disk is higher than a single, obviously because you need to replace two disks. Although for drive-ability, I found the Twin SD perfectly streetable. Almost feels like a stock clutch. Engagement is very smooth as well. Although my opinion is biased due to the fact that most, if not all evos run the exedy twin here in Dubai. Mainly due to availability.

Maintenance, I had the TOB pop a few times on me, and that is no fun when you lose your pedal. Extremely frustrating and made me hate the car. Although I would have avoided all the issues I faced with it, had I simply installed the ACT Monoloc from the start.

Also, a friend of mine rebuilt his Exedy twin, and had nothing but problems with his Evo X. Clutch does not fully disengage. His issue could be unrelated to the clutch, but we replaced the master/slave/lines/Pressure plate/Intermediate plate and still it is not fully disengaging. Maybe a pedal adjustment will fix it, but I suppose for the normal person who uses his evo as a DD, it would be a major issue.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 06:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
+1 for the OEM clutch. I have almost 40k on mine, similar power levels. That includes 600+ autox runs - 90+ of those were launching off the two-step at 5500 rpm.

As someone else said, you may need to adjust your launch technique. Are you drag racing the car on a prepped drag strip (VHT, etc)?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
+1 for the OEM clutch. I have almost 40k on mine, similar power levels. That includes 600+ autox runs - 90+ of those were launching off the two-step at 5500 rpm.
My OEM clutch lasted 85k miles, 7 years, and four owners at slightly higher than stock power levels