Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Twin disk vs single disk for a daily? And why?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2016, 01:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Twin disk vs single disk for a daily? And why?

Done some research cant really find anything conclusive. 300whp/wtq car. Daily. Beat on the car pretty hard. I've heard twin disk from multiple people and a good shop. Heard that shep says always do at least a twin disk no matter what. On the other hand, I've heard people say twin disks are designed to allow clutch drag, are designed to have the trans and clutch serviced/freshened up often. Heard people say id rather keep replacing clutches than transmissions (in favor of the single disk). Problem is no one can ever really explain why. Id rather spend the money now instead of having to soon down the road again. For me, its between the act 6 puck and an exedy twin. Which should i go with and why?

edit: 305/297 whp/wtq on a mustang not that it makes a huge difference i thought id note that

Last edited by Tommyy; Dec 21, 2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts
at 300/300, i would run an act hdss. Good drivability, good life, and they are cheaper than a twin by quite a bit. This will also be far more street friendly than a 6-puck.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
I ran an ACT 6 puck (daily driver) and it lasted 65k miles. Now I'm on ACT HDSS. The 6 puck was a little harder than the single disc to be smooth but it's do able. Hearing the twin discs last about 30k miles(sure there is a give or take for everyone in mileage, read some lasting under 10k miles also) before you have to replace the clutch discs(i'm sure someone else can chime about longevity) but if that's the case then i would just go single disc. A lot cheaper, last longer(if driven right) and does the job well. No need to spend big bucks for something your car doesn't even need. My cars 340/340 also.

Last edited by CaptainSquirts; Dec 21, 2016 at 06:21 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
People always recommend twin disks because 85% of evo owners will never exceed the capabilities of a twin. So basically you can throw everything you want at a twin and it will take it. It's also easy for someone to tell you that a twin is what you need when they aren't paying $1800 for one.

I had an exedy twin in my car at 300/300. It was ok, kind of brutal for daily driving and taking off on hills. I decided I would much rather have something smooth and make daily driving more enjoyable. I got a comp stage 2 clutch for like $500 and change. And I'm now making 503/415 on this clutch. Driveability is way better and the clutch has no chatter like the twin did. Twins are usually overkill, which isn't always a bad thing, until it compromises other aspects of the car.

Only benefit I see in a twin besides the obvious torque holding advantage is being able to launch them alot harder than most singles. So if you race and launch alot then that's something to consider.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 01:09 PM

I have an act hdss with a streetlite flywheel and i started grinding 4th with ~11k on the trans clutch and flywheel (to be fair i THINK its my slave adjustment, it doesnt make any significant movent until the very top). I do launch the car often hence why i want at least a 6 puck
Old Dec 23, 2016, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I runner exedy twin, now triple disc clutch every day, pedal is a lot easier to push than single disc 6 puck. In multiple disc clutch packs Clamping force is divided in to 2 or 3 discs. Same pressure plate. So ur getting a lot better pedal effort and torque and power capabilities compared to single disk.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
run exedy twin. it's not bad at all. heavier than my mini but nothing awful.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 09:09 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I'm a fan of single discs. Everyone I know with a twin is always needing to adjust or replace something. They seem like a lot of trouble. Most people that I've seen that have them don't need 'em, so that really confuses me. I refuse to overpay and over-complicate for stuff that is way more than I'll need (how many people actually ever end up with 400+ftlbs of torqe?).
At your torque rating, you can do an ACT HDSS and be fine. It drives like stock, is reasonably cheap, and grips really well. Pedal action is light, too. If you are into drag racing, I'd probably suggest a sprung 6 puck unless you are really good at slipping clutches.
Keep it simple and don't over spend. That's how I roll. LOL

Last edited by kaj; Dec 25, 2016 at 07:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
IzzyRS (Dec 25, 2016)
Old Dec 23, 2016, 09:56 PM

I have a exedy twin disk and I love it. There is nothing complicated about them.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
I dont think you need a twin at 300wtq. A single disk will get the job done, costs less, and will last longer.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
you definitely do not need a twin. but i've got one and it feels fine, no complaints
Old Dec 26, 2016, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Look into the DXD stage 2 daily.

Soft pedal, rated to 450tq at the wheels.

They have been my favorite clutch company for over 10 years from dsm's, gvr4,s, evo X, and soon to be my IX.

They will custom build you whatever you want as well. Great customer service!
Old Dec 26, 2016, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommyy
edit: 305/297 whp/wtq on a mustang not that it makes a huge difference i thought id note that
Just stick with the stock oem clutch at your power level. It will last if you know how to drive and is cheap to replace. https://mitsubishiparts.net/parts/20...section=CLUTCH
Old Dec 26, 2016, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
300 bux for a flywheel??? They are very proud of that chunk of metal. Have yours turned.

For my stocker I went all OEM when it was time for a clutch. The clutch I got compared to what was in the car when it came from the assembly plant is the difference between night and day. Things are always changing, mine has been in two years now, but this clutch is everything I could want in a clutch. The original liked to grab and chatter but it went 90K.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Keep it simple.

300 tq is a street car. So use a street disk.

Dont need a "track" disk in a street car.

I recommend a act HDSS.

Street for street.
Track for track.

A dual clutch is overkill for a daily w 300 torque.

In fact the twin disk can put unwanted pressure on your crankshaft thrust washers.

Quick Reply: Twin disk vs single disk for a daily? And why?