Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

4g64 timing help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4g64 timing help

Hello every one,
Let me give you a ba ground on this built. I blew my 2.0 and decided to go with a 2.4 4g64 I'm doing the 64 with a mivec head and an Evo 9 timing belt. The machine shop assembled my motor and timed it with a degree wheel. Can you guys based on these pictures tell me if I need to retire or something again the machine shop degreed my engine based on the cam card that came with my gsc S2 cams. Please help me out befor I install the engine or is there a way that I can tell everything is timed good? Thanks In Advance oh and my cam gear is fidanza if that helps.
Name:  BB212946-C93A-4DE0-8CC3-2D7EC9D86633_zpsg21wnjg8.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  250.5 KB
Name:  E1F7E6DF-109B-46C4-B8F4-3C6F05FF9293_zpsupruyapu.jpg
Size:  230.8 KB
Name:  3A455E0F-C8C6-4428-95F8-96635B065D63_zps4tvvic09.jpg
Size:  242.4 KB

Last edited by benIX; Jan 8, 2017 at 12:27 AM. Reason: More pictures
Old Jan 7, 2017, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Looks off to me.

The intake cam mark should be perfect to the valve cover mark, Its either on or its not.

And for the intake cam, even if it needs to be changed cause of milling or headgasket thickness. The mark should still lign up to valvecover.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

I added new pictures. The last 3 are the new ones. Alo when I talked to the machine shops they said they could get as close as 1 degree to TDC.
Thanks everyone
Old Jan 8, 2017, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Bump.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 09:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
Looks off to me.

The intake cam mark should be perfect to the valve cover mark, Its either on or its not.

And for the intake cam, even if it needs to be changed cause of milling or headgasket thickness. The mark should still lign up to valvecover.
Yeah i agree timing is off. The cam marks if degreed should line up just like stock. I used a 4g64 timing belt on my build but the lower timing stuff is off as well. I am sure you did away with balance shafts, but i would have set that up where everything mark wise lines up. How many times did you turn your motor over? I think it is suppose to be like 6 times or something lilke that if i remember correctly.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

The machine shop is the one who did everything they trimmed it and assembled it. I told the shop about the whole -3.75 degree for the exauhst cam. But the owner kept telling me we degreed the engine based on the cam card and also told me top dead center is top dead center and that we degreed the engine based on the cam card. I'm all confused I'm not sure what to do. What they told me was that the could get it as close as 1 degree to top dead center. I called GSC because that's what my cams are and I told them about the 1 degree top dead center and they said that is very good given the fact that you're doing a 2.4 and that there are so many moving parts involved. So now I am all confused

Last edited by benIX; Jan 8, 2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
why is the exh cam not installed using the evo hole of the cam gear? i can see the dowel in the other hole. the crank doesnt appear to be @ tdc either based on from what i can see with the notch in the timing plate. i forget which way you need to set the cam on a 4g64 with an 8/9 belt. simple search.

Last edited by Aby@MIL.SPEC; Jan 8, 2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Does anybody have a picture of their set up or can take a picture of their set up so I can see if I can do it myself. Also what's the point of degreeinng the cam if it's going to be wrong?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well you need to find pics with the fidanza cam gear like you have, the advance/retard goes the opposite way as AEM/HKS gears, and each gear is a half tooth off from the get go... I hate fidanza gears... it is weird that it is in the DSM dowel pin hole as well...

For set up, the exhaust gear needs to be around 3.75* retarded if you are using a 63 belt, 3.75* advanced if using a 64 belt...
Old Jan 8, 2017, 02:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
Well you need to find pics with the fidanza cam gear like you have, the advance/retard goes the opposite way as AEM/HKS gears, and each gear is a half tooth off from the get go... I hate fidanza gears... it is weird that it is in the DSM dowel pin hole as well...

For set up, the exhaust gear needs to be around 3.75* retarded if you are using a 63 belt, 3.75* advanced if using a 64 belt...
I had my Kelfords degreed as well using proper dowel pin holes and everything basically lined up dead nuts just like it was oem. Only difference though I used a 2.4 timing belt instead of the one i wanted to but thats fine. When I asked about how to do it with the new setup builder said just the same as the oem being cams were degreed. Idk if it has to do with me using the 2.4 belt or what but with everything said i was told just straight up like normal.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

See that's what the shop told me they said the cams are degreed all you need to do is to line up the I take and you're at top dead center. They told me that the exauhst Sam is a degree off or degree close to Top dead center. I really want to put the engine back in the car but so t want to do it and everything is wrong and I have to take it back to the shop. Does anybody have a fidanza camgear 2.4 set up so I can see what I need to do? And can someone explain to me what's the point of degreeinng the cams? I mean if your timing is going to
Be off what's the point lol
Thanks everyone
Old Jan 8, 2017, 04:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by benIX
See that's what the shop told me they said the cams are degreed all you need to do is to line up the I take and you're at top dead center. They told me that the exauhst Sam is a degree off or degree close to Top dead center. I really want to put the engine back in the car but so t want to do it and everything is wrong and I have to take it back to the shop. Does anybody have a fidanza camgear 2.4 set up so I can see what I need to do? And can someone explain to me what's the point of degreeinng the cams? I mean if your timing is going to
Be off what's the point lol
Thanks everyone
I am aware thats what they told you. Degreeing the cam basically gives you the the correct valve opening and closing points of your engine. If it is off being we have interference motors they will not open and close properly causing stuff to get wacked. Now with that said why don't everyone degree the cams? Well easy enough being most cams are designed to be close enough not to be degreed. Degreeing your cams will allow you also to make as much power as you can being everything opens and closes exactly where the cams tells it to. It is to be more precise.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

As far as the dowel goes this is what I found on the forum how much of this is true?
Name:  A70ABF09-F4C5-4E2D-BE54-7BE7727BB6D8_zpscw489myr.png
Size:  296.3 KB
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
re read post.

Ive never degreed a motor so my answer is probably useless.

Now that I re look at op pics, I guess if it was degreed, timing looks ok maybe 2 degrees advanced?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Is there a way to check and see if the timing is right or not? In other words not using the marks on the adjustable cam gear? For example what is the shop put the cam gear in the wrong dowel but they degreed it based on that?

Quick Reply: 4g64 timing help