Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Random idle issues.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random idle issues.

Started a couple months ago. The problem is very very random when it wants to do it. After its warmed it could be 10m or 30m a week or every day but the car will act as though its cammed. I can shut each injector off through my friends solus pro and the sound of the engine changes for every injector so im pretty sure its not misfiring. I was having issues with the alt wanting to charge whenever it wanted to so i chalked it up to that and finally got around to changing it. It was gone for a week then came back. Its got new plugs gapped to .026 and new coils. wires have around 40k on them. Did a smoke test on the intake system found one leak at the intercooler and repaired it. It seems that since its been a little warmer out it doesnt do it as bad when it does act up. I can shut the car off 10m later restart it and its perfectly fine until it decides to do it again. Had the p0300 code randomly popping up and it seemed that code came up when it acted up and i read that code can cause the cars to run funny sometimes so I used ecuflash and turned it off and it still does it. Nothing has changed on the car for a couple years now. Ive cleaned the maf and the iat also with no change. When it acts up it doesnt want to hold vacuum sits at -10 and a/f goes up into the middle 15's. Not really sure where to go from here.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
gap the plugs at .020" and re-test
Old Feb 25, 2017, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no change still did it. im at a loose here i have no idea where to start.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds (generally) like a vacuum leak/intake leak/PCV issue. Test your check valves to make sure they're not leaking. Check your diverted valve for vacuum loss. Try unplugging your front O2 sensor and see if the idle still fluctuates. Check your throttle body for soiling and clean it up. Make sure your idle control valve is functioning correctly. Check for brake booster to make sure it holds vacuum. I'm sure I'm forgetting something..it's probably your issue LOL!