Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 intercooler worth upgrading

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:37 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Raceghost
Two Questions:

A) What is an inter-coolers Function?

B) Once you've answered A, How big can you shoe horn in, safely?

Inter-coolers, I love this topic. I have seen same sized Bar Plate Inter-coolers from multiple prices, multiple manufacturers, including knockoff's, of Bar/Plate Variety, perform the same. Inter-coolers serve one purpose.
He's asking about sizes. The biggest one is not necessarily the best.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ditto

Originally Posted by evo8426
save your money
Old Feb 28, 2017, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
He's asking about sizes. The biggest one is not necessarily the best.
I disagree. Pressure drop can be tuned by WG and Turbo.

an inter-cooler has one job: Cool charged air as much as possible.

More surface area means cooler temperatures.

So in this case, bigger is better.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 07:07 PM
kaj

Nah.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 08:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts

Not that simple.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 03:50 AM
Evolved Member

Not that simple.
Ok, break it down for me.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:23 AM
kaj

KillerB Motorsports:
"Getting a HUGE intercooler capable of making 2,000hp is going to be a detriment to performance on a 450hp application. Why? Because boost is made by filling and pressurizing the volume between the turbocharger and intake manifold. The smaller this volume, the quicker it fills. Conversely a huge volume between the two takes longer to fill. A little headroom isn’t a bad thing, but a lot is. Ideally, an intercooler is precisely sized to how many lbs/min the turbocharger can flow. Both turbocharger and intercooler core manufacturers, provide efficiency and flow rates that can be matched....intercoolers are bound by the laws of physics and manufacturing processes used. If there were exceptions to this rule, we’d all be using that magical product."
per EngineBasics.com https://www.enginebasics.com/Advance...20Test%20.html
"Another important factor when evaluating an intercooler is the total pressure drop. What this means is, if you’re running 14psi as indicated by your boost gauge that means the turbos are actually producing something closer to 17psi. This pressure loss is a natural byproduct of flowing air, and the loss will grow as boost pressure increases on any given intercooler core. The trick is designing an intercooler core that is properly sized for the intended application in order to minimize this pressure loss.
Internal area affects pressure drop because as area increases, so does the available contact surface for the airflow. As discussed above, this puts the flowing air in intimate contact with more intercooler, which removes energy from the air. Air likes to attach itself to walls (or really anything that it’s flowing relative to) and this is called the boundary layer. The boundary layer is a theoretical point of zero velocity, and represents a flow loss to the air passing adjacent to it. When the total surface area of the boundary layer grows, energy is removed from the air, and the total pressure loss grows as well. So, this is just one reason why “bigger” isn't always “better”!"
Not to say going bigger isn't better, just not biggest:

Also per EngineBasics.com:
"On the other hand, increasing the size of an intercooler can also reduce the resulting pressure drop. The velocity of the air passing through the inside of the core is a function of the volume of air flowing and the passage cross-sectional area, and fluid friction is a function of velocity. So, if the cross sectional area increases and airflow velocity drops; then so does the friction generated and the resulting pressure drop. So there's definitely a balancing act one has to play when sizing an intercooler core for a specific application."
TLDR: bigger is better, biggest is not. If it were, we'd all run 6" thick FMICs that covered the front of our cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by kaj:
jetjockeyjosh (Aug 16, 2022), Raceghost (Mar 1, 2017)
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Explanation
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:21 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
while this subject is being discussed, why not convert water-to-air? Too complex, too heavy, both? It would basically eliminate pressure drop and shorten over all pipe length significantly. I know in drag racing its basically a hands down winner because you can dump a bunch of ice in the reservoir and really drop the temps.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Kaj, Thanks bud.

I understand. I guess the first negative aspect then, is spool, if you go to big?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 06:14 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
while this subject is being discussed, why not convert water-to-air? Too complex, too heavy, both? It would basically eliminate pressure drop and shorten over all pipe length significantly. I know in drag racing its basically a hands down winner because you can dump a bunch of ice in the reservoir and really drop the temps.
Personally, I'm a fan of WTA, in general. I like the idea of having super cold water reducing charge temps, instead of just having air pass over the IC. I've honestly never heard an argument against using them for roard racing. Weight, complexity, ... both good reasons. Maybe there are also rules about where you can have fluids stored in our vehicles. I'm curious, though. Someone on this site should know.

Kaj, Thanks bud.

I understand. I guess the first negative aspect then, is spool, if you go to big?
That's a downside, sure, but mostly it's about your turbo working really hard to fill space it doesn't need to. I.E. a stock turbo at 24psi, measured at the IM and passing through a ginormous 5" FMIC is probably spinning it's *** off at 25-27psi to keep the IM at 24. I'm probably way off on actual numbers, but you get the idea. The turbo is going to be spinning really fast and making lots of heat.. which is more heat that FMIC has to bleed off, by the way.
I just about went back to my OEM FMIC but was talked out of it, after hearing how quickly they get heat soaked during road racing. I have a 3.5" AMS which is too big.. I will most likely sell it and go with the Blitz 3". It's a shame because turbos are very responsive with that OEM FMIC haha. It's all about finding the right IC that works with your turbo.