Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sunroof shattered -- for no good reason!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2004, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof shattered -- for no good reason!!!

So I'm in the parking deck at work tonight and I open my trunk and as soon as it gets fully open I hear this loud "BAM"!!!

So I say WTF?!?!?

I start looking around the car to figure out what it might be and I hear a crackling noise. I look at the sunroof and it is completely shattered (and it continues to "crackle" for a few minutes after that).

To my knowledge there is absolutely nothing that should have caused it to crack. The only thing I can think of that would cause it is the fact that the seals look a bit "swollen" (maybe from heat/humidity). I would think that there would be enough of a tolerance built into the seals to compensate for that, however.

Any idea on what would have caused this?

More importantly, does anyone think that there is any possibility it will be covered under warranty? Bear in mind that the guy I usually deal with in the service department is very cool and has never been unreasonable. Does it sound like I just got a bad sunroof?

Any useful input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cabo
Old Jun 22, 2004, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cabo
So I'm in the parking deck at work tonight and I open my trunk and as soon as it gets fully open I hear this loud "BAM"!!!

So I say WTF?!?!?

I start looking around the car to figure out what it might be and I hear a crackling noise. I look at the sunroof and it is completely shattered (and it continues to "crackle" for a few minutes after that).

To my knowledge there is absolutely nothing that should have caused it to crack. The only thing I can think of that would cause it is the fact that the seals look a bit "swollen" (maybe from heat/humidity). I would think that there would be enough of a tolerance built into the seals to compensate for that, however.

Any idea on what would have caused this?

More importantly, does anyone think that there is any possibility it will be covered under warranty? Bear in mind that the guy I usually deal with in the service department is very cool and has never been unreasonable. Does it sound like I just got a bad sunroof?

Any useful input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cabo

I don't get it. You open your trunk and your sunroof cracks?
Old Jun 22, 2004, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Yep. I'm not sure if opening the trunk had anything to do with it, but maybe just the bump of it hitting the fully open position caused enough vibration for it to give in.

Glass is funny like that sometimes. Just the right kind of vibration or temperature can make it do some mind blowing things...

Cabo
Old Jun 22, 2004, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never heard of this, but the only thing I can think of is the EVO glass is very thin, so it may be easier to crack when it goes from hot to cold, and gets some shock? Still is odd though, I would imagine it already had some built-in stress from the manufacturing process and was just waiting for the perfect moment to release. There are defects in every batch of everything I guess.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

That should definately be covered under warranty. I remember when the old hatchback cars of the 80s would do that when you closed the hatch because of the pressure in the cab. Its strange it would do that on an evo when the cab is seperate of the trunk.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by machron1
I've never heard of this, but the only thing I can think of is the EVO glass is very thin, so it may be easier to crack when it goes from hot to cold, and gets some shock? Still is odd though, I would imagine it already had some built-in stress from the manufacturing process and was just waiting for the perfect moment to release. There are defects in every batch of everything I guess.
Only the door glass is thin. Everything else is the standard thickness.

Cabo
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gofaster87
That should definately be covered under warranty. I remember when the old hatchback cars of the 80s would do that when you closed the hatch because of the pressure in the cab. Its strange it would do that on an evo when the cab is seperate of the trunk.

Not only are the trunk and passenger area separate, but I was opening the trunk, which would release pressure...

Very weird...

Cabo
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good tihng i don't have a sunroof... jk that really stinks, I hope they do cover it
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1QWKEVO
good tihng i don't have a sunroof... jk that really stinks, I hope they do cover it

Yeah...now I wish I had been more stubborn and searched for an EVO without one. I was really glad I got one, until now...

:-P

Cabo
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

also in the trunk on both sides their are vents that are hidden behind the pannel on the left and then a nother one under the pannel on the right under the winshield washer fluid duno what to tell ya verry strange could possably somone drop a rock or a brick on it from a bridge or outa a tree? duno where u were parked.. somone might have thrown somthn ?
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chinto
also in the trunk on both sides their are vents that are hidden behind the pannel on the left and then a nother one under the pannel on the right under the winshield washer fluid duno what to tell ya verry strange could possably somone drop a rock or a brick on it from a bridge or outa a tree? duno where u were parked.. somone might have thrown somthn ?

It was in a parking deck at work, and it happened before I even sat in the car. I don't think I have any enemies at work...

Cabo
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

what dealer do you go through? leith raleigh or cary? if they give you any bs i know the parts rep's # for our area and he will straighten it out
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RaleighEVOVIII
what dealer do you go through? lieth raleigh or cary? if they give you anything i know the parts rep for our area and he will straighten it out
I got my car from Leith Raleigh and have always gone there. I usually talk to Donnie (Donald) about any issues.

Who's this parts rep guy?

Thanks,

Cabo
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

ill pm you that info. on the rep... i usually go through reggie at leith cary. both leith dealers seem to have their stuff together in the service dept.

reggie already told me if i have any questionable warranty claim he will keep my side
Old Jun 22, 2004, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

Is there a tint on the sunroof?

Quick Reply: Sunroof shattered -- for no good reason!!!