Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Illegal Exhaust Part 2: The POPO is back, and dumber than ever.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2004, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Illegal Exhaust Part 2: The POPO is back, and dumber than ever.

<History>
For those that don't know, I got pulled over earlier this year for having an aftermarket exhaust (JIC). I have since popped in the silencer, which makes it just about stock loud. </History>

So I'm comin' home from work on the freeway and pass by a stationery cop. Mind you, I'm in the far left lane, he's in the far right shoulder (4 lanes over). I pass by him, 30 seconds later, I can see him in my rearview mirror. He's clearly speeding (100+) to catch up to me. He catches up, pulls up to the lane to the right of me, and hangs out for about 15 seconds. Then the blue lights go off.

He tells me I've got an improper exhaust system. Bingo. Nothing new here. I talk to him for a bit, and somehow I've convinced him that my exhaust system is stock. He still thinks it's too loud, even though it was a stock exhaust, so he gives me a ticket anyway... hmm, what now? I proceed to ask him by what merit he decided that my exhaust was too loud. He says:

"Well, when I stand behind my car, you can't hear it."
"When I stand behind your car, I can hear your exhaust. Therefore it's illegal."

HAHA. I don't think I've heard anything more inane. But he surprises me again. "My engine is bigger than yours, but yours is louder than mine. There is no reason that that should happen." He says that my car obviously came with a high performance exhaust from the factory, which is illegal. I tell him that my car is a high performance vehicle, that it is not a normal Lancer, that it comes with 280hp from the factory, thus, it is only normal for it to come equipped with a high performance exhaust. He says in a condescending tone "I'm not impressed. Your car is too loud." Hm, right, like you can't hear a Cobra exhaust at idle.

It was clear this guy was out to get me as soon as I passed by him. If it was because my car was bright blue, or because I had a huge wing on it, one of the two obviously set him off. He couldn't have seen nor heard my exhaust from where he was standing by, especially with the amount of traffic on the freeway.

So now I got a court date to attend. Last time I paid my ticket off because I figured once I put in my silencer, this wouldn't happen again. After all, with the silencer in, the car's idle and WOT volume is only 1db louder than stock. Guess I was wrong. This time though, I'm going to fight. If the guy thinks this is a stock exhaust, and given the reasons he believed my exhaust to be too loud, his reasoning is far too subjective and should easily crumble in court. Unless of course, my judge is a complete asshat. In that case, you guys will see me *****ing about this in October.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

last time i got pulled over for it here in cali, i got it smogged knowing that it would pass...10 dollar fix it ticket...and now i drive with the smog papers saying i did pass my smog with it on so...if i cop tries to tell me its not legal i can shove the papers up his ****...no offense to cops but sometimes...you guys just dont know sjiet
Old Aug 19, 2004, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rediculous! Man, I hope you win in court, because that **** is just BS!

I agree with you... if you were crusing down the highway 4 lanes over WITH OTHER TRAFFIC, there is no way in hell that your exhaust was loud enough for him to hear it. He more than likely saw your car, gave chase, looked your car over trying to find something to cite you for to "teach you a lesson".

I ****ing HATE cops like this. Now u got MY blood boiling. lol

Anyway, good luck man. You should win in court no problem.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

it's not a smog issue, it's a noise issue. That's what happens in rural town USA. Cops have nothing better to do but bust *****. Out here, cope don't give a damn.

Take a camcorder and go to a Ford dealer and video a Mustang GT or Cobra at startup and idle, then a Dodge store and video the exhaust sound of a Ram Hemi and then video your car at idle. Enter the tape as an exhibit to the court and the cop will be left holding his ***. The only problem is the court is biased toward local law enforcement and usually sides with them.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

all you have to do is have it tested for dB at the distance stated in your states regulations concerning motor vehicle noises... cops can't just say "it's loud- here's a ticket" They need to say "damn, that's loud. Here, I'm at x feet away from the vehicle and it's YdB.... ok, see you're 2 dB over- here's a fix-it ticket" or whatever.... give 'em hell dude. Subpena the cop, subpoena a noise expert.... even if you lose, you still win because of how much it'll cost the state (no, you shouldn't have to pay for expert testimony because it's the state filing suit against you and you pay taxes for this kind of thing).
Old Aug 19, 2004, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

*** HAT!! HAHAHAHAHAH! I love that!
Old Aug 19, 2004, 04:48 PM

Damn that sucks zstryder. I got pulled over recently for the same thing. He said it sounded louder than normal... well duh it's got an exhaust. The thing is I have a silencer on too. When I told him I had a silencer, he shined his flashlight on my exhaust and had a surprised look. Makes me think he pulled me over because the N1 looks huge and not because it was too loud. Anyways, luckily they have a state testing program here in CA. I just took my car to the test facility, did a decible test and passed with flying colors. It ended up costing me only $10, but was a big waste of my time.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by engineerboy
...cops can't just say "it's loud- here's a ticket" They need to say "damn, that's loud. Here, I'm at x feet away from the vehicle and it's YdB....
That may be true in your state. But it is certainly not true in VA. The law is very general in VA and it more or less states that any exhaust that is louder than stock is illegal....whether it be 50db or 1db louder.

zstryder. Put your stock exhaust back on and bring it to court to show that you are running the oem unit. And while you have the JIC system removed, paint it with some good flat black high temp paint. It works wonders and makes the exhaust look stock enough that the VA cops won't pull you over.

SC~
Old Aug 19, 2004, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

allturbo...who did your decible test?...the test didnt cost anything?
Old Aug 19, 2004, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

You do live in VA and the POPO have nothing better else to do then hassle people. Mean while you have terrorist running around up here and all they can do is pull people over for a loud exhaust. The worlds Crazy, Crazy I tell you....lol
Old Aug 19, 2004, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

just another reason I move away from that flucked up state....
Old Aug 19, 2004, 05:21 PM

I think cops see your cars with the big wing, the rims, and think "damn kids and their rice rockets". i own an 88 Mustang. its damn loud. i have a huge cam, and a 3 inch x-pipe with no cats and hollowed mufflers. it sets off car alarms at idle. i was never once pulled over for having a loud exhaust, and all the times i was pulled over the cop said "hey turn off ur car, i cant hear what ur saying''. my friend Forum04pl has been followed by numerous cops in our town. granted hes never gotten pulled over but i think they just dont have respect for newer imports. cops suck, thats all i know
Old Aug 19, 2004, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

SC- the point I was trying to make is there has to be some frame of reference to say "it's too loud" Whether it's "no louder than stock" or "less than x dB at y feet" the burdeon of proof is still on the state and this should be a cakewalk for our man.....

see if you can get someone from your dealership to bring an Evo to court to give the judge a chance to listen to a stock exhaust and yours- that would rule!
Old Aug 19, 2004, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Which reminds me- how many Harleys do you see getting pulled over? "Loud pipes save lives" right?
Old Aug 19, 2004, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

First off, the cop is full of sh*te.

Second, I agree with Secret Chimp... the cop basically thinks and wrote down that you have a stock exhaust. Switch out your JIC... put the stock back.

The pig doesn't have a hoof to stand on since he basically told you that your car is not an OEM vehicle (ah, hello ?)... after oinking your ear full of BS that he heard your exhaust, then going one step further by creating his own criteria of loud.

Wow, unreal... guess they need money for donuts.

Just remember... **** the police, ****, ****. **** the police.

Oh yeah, they'll throw the case out... may want to reschedule to make sure the bacon's not there so you're even more likely to win.

Quick Reply: Illegal Exhaust Part 2: The POPO is back, and dumber than ever.