Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Serpentine Belt removal and installation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Serpentine Belt removal and installation

Apparently there is a secret to pulling the belts on the Evo's. Pics and details on my site here:

http://www.joe250.com/cars/evo8/belt...ltremoval.html

Joe

Last edited by Joe250; Jan 1, 2008 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Updated URL
Old Nov 9, 2004, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is the serpentine belt the same as the accessory belt?
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

yes.
Old May 20, 2009, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ugh.. I just did my 80k oil change... I checked both the serpentine, and the timing belts. The timing belt looks like a champ, but I need a new serpentine belt. I think I will go to the dealer today, and price out how much it is to change both.
Old May 27, 2009, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

who has a diagram of the serpentine belt?
Old Jun 11, 2009, 01:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A couple of notes on drive belt installation.

first, it took me 5 minutes to take the old belt off, and 3 hours to put the new one on.... seriously.

1. 2 people make this a hell of a lot easier. you don't usually need the third arm, but to see what's going on up top, when you are on the bottom. (plus, I did mine at night, so had to use a lot of lights)

2. Use the biggest size allen wrench that fits into the holes of the belt tensioner.

3. Remove the radiator overflow bottle. If you have stock rims, lay the rim flat, and it makes a good holder for the overflow bottle.

4. remove the bolts that hold the power steering reservoir. It makes it easier to maneuver around.

5. Don't think about removing the alternator. It's nearly impossible w/ the engine in the car.

6. I don't have a breaker bar, but what I did have is the Gorilla extendable lug wrench. it worked perfect.

Okay, more talking.... The reason for most of my frustration, is because for some reason, I thought that the belt went from power steering pump, to tensioner, to ac compressor. That is wrong, as you can see from the attached diagram, it goes from power steering pump, to ac compressor, THEN to the front tensioner..lol

The new belt is a touch smaller than the old belt. Unfortunately, that is the main reason why it is so much harder to get the new belt on. Do NOT attempt to pry the new belt on. no sense in ruining the new belt. The easiest way, that I found is to actually take the drive pulley off.... There is 4 bolts and a little pin.the pin stays on, and actually guides the pulley. after 2 1/2 hours, I decided to just bite the bullet, take the drive pulley off, and "stretch" the belt using the whole pulley.,
Attached Thumbnails Serpentine Belt removal and installation-drivebelt.jpg  
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrbkkt1
A couple of notes on drive belt installation.

first, it took me 5 minutes to take the old belt off, and 3 hours to put the new one on.... seriously.

1. 2 people make this a hell of a lot easier. you don't usually need the third arm, but to see what's going on up top, when you are on the bottom. (plus, I did mine at night, so had to use a lot of lights)

2. Use the biggest size allen wrench that fits into the holes of the belt tensioner.

3. Remove the radiator overflow bottle. If you have stock rims, lay the rim flat, and it makes a good holder for the overflow bottle.

4. remove the bolts that hold the power steering reservoir. It makes it easier to maneuver around.

5. Don't think about removing the alternator. It's nearly impossible w/ the engine in the car.

6. I don't have a breaker bar, but what I did have is the Gorilla extendable lug wrench. it worked perfect.

Okay, more talking.... The reason for most of my frustration, is because for some reason, I thought that the belt went from power steering pump, to tensioner, to ac compressor. That is wrong, as you can see from the attached diagram, it goes from power steering pump, to ac compressor, THEN to the front tensioner..lol

The new belt is a touch smaller than the old belt. Unfortunately, that is the main reason why it is so much harder to get the new belt on. Do NOT attempt to pry the new belt on. no sense in ruining the new belt. The easiest way, that I found is to actually take the drive pulley off.... There is 4 bolts and a little pin.the pin stays on, and actually guides the pulley. after 2 1/2 hours, I decided to just bite the bullet, take the drive pulley off, and "stretch" the belt using the whole pulley.,
3 hours? wow, took me 5 mins by myself to put it back on. I just started at the alternator and worked my way towards the front, pretty simple
Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:09 AM

i'm doing my timing belt and more. Is there really 2 belts ? drive belt and alternator belt ? looking at alldata that's what it calls for. I'm puzzled cause when i took it off i only remember 1 long belt.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:59 PM

+1 for "pain in the *** install", which was compounded by being riddiculously over-priced at $100 from the dealer (only did an autozone search, should have checked the internets I guess)
Old Oct 4, 2009, 02:56 PM

just did it with my boy 14 minutes total time

step 1: have 2 people total

step 2: don't remove anything but the plastic shield next to the pullies underneath

step 3: loosen the tensioner like in the pictures while other person moves the belt off pullies

step 4: put new belt on starting from alternator going forward, again 2 people in the key
Old Oct 4, 2009, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

Did this with EvoTamer today soooo simple, do not pay anyone to do this, anyone can do it. If i did it again prob take under 5 minutes!!!! Definitly use two people, doesnt need to be anyone with car knowledge just use a breaker bar or rig something up to get some good leverage then have the other person take it off the power steering first was the easiest then comes right out, then do the same thing putting it back on its pritty simple.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:02 AM

serpentine belt mishaps...

While getting out from the bottom of my car i grabbed onto the crank pulley & accidentally spun it counterclockwise....A BIG NO NO!!! i think it messes up the crank timing when spun counterclockwise so what should i do to remedy the problem???

i may seem like a clutz but hey i was able to change my timing & balance belt w/out any issues (except it took me 3 days to finish it) so no im not really a clutz. most of the time.

Last edited by evo8angel; Dec 8, 2009 at 04:08 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

If you pay attention to the tensioner theres a hole that aligns to the mounting base if you line up both holes you can put a screwdriver thru and it will hold the tensioner for you and you wont need 2 people.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by theboricua
If you pay attention to the tensioner theres a hole that aligns to the mounting base if you line up both holes you can put a screwdriver thru and it will hold the tensioner for you and you wont need 2 people.
I'm going to have to look at this when I get home tuesday.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Here is a good accessory belt option i've been using for a few years.

Goodyear Gatorback Poly-V belt.
P/N: 4060705 / 6PK1790
$30- Autozone

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt removal and installation