Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Purchased a 05' Evo MR, Seeking Advice for Upgrades, tryed and true!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2004, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchased a 05' Evo MR, Seeking Advice for Upgrades, tryed and true!

Hello!

I just purchased a 05' mitsubishi lancer evolution MR series.

its my first AWD and im adjusting to the sheer power that comes with this car as a stock, im coming from a 99' Eclipse GS-T, which is a hotwheel to this car.

im interested in the most opinions on the tryed and proven most basic upgrades/modifications to this brilliant car without compensating its charecteristic as my 'daily driver' car.

im adjusting to the 'easy to get out of hand' power that is at my diposal so i dont want to get to far ahead, any stock car that does 0-60 in 4.6 seconds is in my opinon on the near limits of whats is feasible to use on the street.

I do not race cars.

What im mostly interested in i would say is efficiency, and improved handling. ways to enhance those assets would make the car all the better, i dont need a top end of 170 mph, as i could never use that in reality.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated your expierence is far superior to mine, im sure.

I was considering the 3' downpipe, not even sure if replacing the stock exhaust is needed. It was a front mount intercooler already, cold air intake might prove useless, so im just not sure.

Dan
Old Nov 6, 2004, 05:39 PM
Former Sponsor

the dps might not fit! at least the helix doesn't fit! There aren't any cold air intakes out there! Drive around frist get use to the car then do short shifter, clutch line, shifter, + underhood bushings!
Old Nov 6, 2004, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

deja vu
Old Nov 6, 2004, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Get the HKS downpipe if you want a perfect fit with no hassels. As far as handling not sure how much better you can make it but on my 03 the Cusco 3-way adjustable sway bar helped out a lot in the handling dept. But with you having a FLSD and ACD you probably will not need it unless you get to track your car and experience the limits of it. Sounds like you will mostly be on the street so stock might be all you need. Best of luck and congrats on getting an MR
Old Nov 6, 2004, 08:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey, I couldn't reply to an e-mail you sent me earlier..

My advice.. Its an EVO-MR, and your not interested in racing, don't modify the car, at least don't touch it until the warranty is up.

If you feel you MUST, then put 20,000 miles on the car, it'll be fully broken in, you'll have had enough time on it to see where you'd like to make improvements.

As far as I can tell, many of the bolt-ons will work with the MR, however there seems to be some slight differences in the turbo which would mean there may be some components that need to be revised for the 05 models (I have had mixed responses about downpipes and lower intercooler pipes, and whether they fit correctly or not at the compressor discharge.. so give it some time and get confirmation from the manufacturer)

Take it from someone who has a pretty highly modified car, although I don't regret making any changes, if I had to go through the process again, I'd have waited a year before I began modifying the car (I modified my car within the first 3000 miles)

You obviously know what you want out of your car.. I would suggest spending your mod money on some track time, and driving school.. hold off on the bolt ons for awhile, you may find you really don't want or need to change anything.

Although there's no guarantees in life, I'll bet a unmolested, unmodified, Evolution MR will likely be collectable in a few years, same with the RS.. The standard Evo8 (like I have) well, that will depend on how legendary this car becomes, which will affect its value whether its modified or not.

Congrats on getting the new car.. But think about what you want to do, and definitely take this stuff into consideration.

Last edited by MalibuJack; Nov 6, 2004 at 08:57 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 10:14 PM

I got the Grey version of the car.

Non performance changed I was considering for next weak was a high quality carbon fiber hood, it matches the rear spoiler quite well and with the grey is very un-flashy but has a conventional use but makes it look very sharp as well.

Secondly lowering the car, how much im not sure, my last car was quite low a show car more and daily driver use was near hell. So im wondering how far low will hel the looks and enhance ground performance (however slight) without obstructing its function as a daily driver.

A standard 3' downpipe i thought would be a worthwhile and simple modification that would enhance several aspects, would you agree? Als contemplating a blow off valve to reduce turbo lag that seems to spool in chunks.

As far as you recomending driving school/track time, i dont even know how to go about that, i would love to do that.

dan