Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How To Install: New HID Bulbs w/ Partial Bumper Removal. (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2005, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post How To Install: New HID Bulbs w/ Partial Bumper Removal. (Pics)

I know what you have been thinking. The stock HID’s are not very white. They are around 3400 kelvin. I am going to show you detailed instructions on how to install a new HID bulb. You can buy 3000 Kelvin( Yellow), 6000 Kelvin ( Blue-white), 8000 Kelvin ( Blue Blue-White), 12000 Kelvin( Blue-Purple) or even 14000 Kelvin ( Deep Purple). For more info on this subject, click here.click here

Normally, You need to remove the entire bumper in order to access the headlights, but I will show you how to do a half bumper removal for those of you who still have the undertray on. Those w/o can remove the entire bumper very easily and will not need this guide.
First, the tools:
10 mm socket, long or short, but I recommend using a ¼ inch drive because it’s smaller and will be easier to get into tight spaces, and the ratchet will do minimal damage if dropped.
Short Phillips head #2 screwdriver, a stubby will do fine but use a #2 cause the smaller one will strip heads.
Small regular screwdriver
Needle Nose Pliers
Several CLEAN rags. I like to use those nifty microfiber towels.
Blue Painters Tape, wider is better
Masking Tape, wider is better
If you use a Leatherman or some other multi-tool, then it will kill 3 birds w/ one stone.
A pair of D2S HID bulbs of your preference.
Why masking tape??? I will get to that later.

First use the blue masking tape to completely tape off the fenders and headlights, preferably individually, and remove front plate bracket if it is on.

Next cover the blue tape w/ regular masking tape. Lots of layers on the bottom of the fender, at least 3. This step is extremely important if you have an aftermarket fiberglass or CF bumper like me.

Using stubby Phillips Head, remove the 2 clips in the wheelwell, turn your steering wheel if needed for better access.

Next using 10mm socket, remove screw directly above the 2 clips mentioned before.

Now using Flathead, pop out your retaining clips that are near the hood release.

Then, remove the 2 10mm bolts outboard of the clips you just removed.

You can now move your bumper forward, putting a rag under the front. You might snag your bumper on the IC piping and hoses so be careful. The stock urethane bumper has a lot more flex and give than aftermarket Fiberglass and CF. If you have a stock bumper, there is a small white popper that connects the bumper to the headlight as well. You can see in this picture the reason for using the masking tape, to not scratch the fender. The day I did this picture was the same day I picked up the car from paint, so the paint on the fender is still fresh- reason for blue tape. I had scratched the fenders on bumper install!
Unbolt the forward bolt (light colored one)

You should pop the little connecter shown to make it easier, but not necessary if you have a ¼ inch ratchet. Under the connector is 2 bolts, (Brass colored), unbolt the lower one; the upper one connects to the radiator.

Next unbolt the top 2 headlight bolts. Do NOT use a screwdriver! The outer one has a square hole that will hold the headlight if necessary. You should be able to remove the headlight assembly, unplugging the main harness on the bottom, and the foglight and highbeam harnesses as well.

You will see a round cylinder behind the projector beam. Unscrew the Phillips head screw and then turn cover to loosen.

After removing cover you should be able to see the plug, turn to loosen.

Next is the bulb itself. Push on clip to remove, similar to an H4 (9004) headlamp like a Honda Civic. You should be able to remove bulb now, being careful not to touch the lamp. Compare bulbs to make sure that the holes match each other.

Installation is reverse!

Here are pics i took of the light on a white wall, car was in same position both pics:
stock HID

new 6k HID:

stock Headlight:

6k headlight:

8k headlight (My V6 accord)

any questions, PM me or email me directly @ mrbkkt1@hotpop.com
Old Jul 13, 2005, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

does everyone see all the pics or just some?
Old Jul 13, 2005, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

okay, does anyone have any questions?, is this an informative thread?
Old Jul 14, 2005, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you get a new headlight unit for the HID because i heard if you use the halogen head lights it wont be as clear when you do the conversion?
Old Jul 14, 2005, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

sweet.. I did mine with a nice purple color, however im still having problems trying to raise the beam manually on the 03s.. i cant do it for osme reason.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

I had stock HID's, i just changed the bulbs to a different color.I have done 3 halogen to HID conversions before though. on my old civic, my old s-10, and on the accord shown above. if you don't have them on your evo to start, then you will need to do a conversion. this thread is for changing stock hid's to a different color bulb.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 10:23 AM

Does anybody know of a good place in the engine bay to put the ballast? I'm having trouble fitting them because the engine bay is so cramped.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 03:59 AM
Evolved Member

try double stick taping them to the bottom of the headlights.( the projector part.)
Old Aug 7, 2005, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by mrbkkt1
try double stick taping them to the bottom of the headlights.( the projector part.)
hey thanks for the help. works great. i wasnt about to remove the whole bumber or pay the dealer $500+ to do it. but with your help i was able to do it in a few hours and you directions were ***in pimp. thanks alot for the directions. you da man.

paulie
Old Aug 17, 2005, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

no problem. i figured i'd show how to do it w/o removing all those crappy little clips that hold the bottom of the bumper on.

note:
I got my bulbs on e-bay for less than 100 bucks. i was thinking of getting the ion yellow hid's( 3000K), it would match my foglights which are already ion yellow. you think i should try the yellow hid's?
Old Nov 1, 2005, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

first time i have seen your how-to, nice job
Old Nov 17, 2005, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

good examples bro.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

this is not working for me my bumper just wont come off and i have done everything
Old Sep 27, 2006, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CubanEVO
this is not working for me my bumper just wont come off and i have done everything
Trying this for my IX and not working either. Anyone try this example on a 2006 IX?
Old Nov 17, 2006, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

I couldn't get the actual headlight housing out as shown above cause the front area of the bumper wouldn't come out far enough but I still got to all the srews and was able to position the housing inward and replace the bulb at the corner -if u got giant hands it may not work cause it was a tight fit for me (im only 150lb). The hid kit I used was gp thunder so everything was plug and play , I wasn't able to stick the ballast under the headlite housing so I put one between the battery box and fuse box very tight fit with the adhesive tape attached and the other on top between the ac lines and the motor mount.

thanks for your help you saved me a bunch of money and a 40min. drive to miami.

and i hope this helps a bit ---boomn29 cause we got the same exact car.

Quick Reply: How To Install: New HID Bulbs w/ Partial Bumper Removal. (Pics)