Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How to fix a stuck sunroof

Old May 15, 2012, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after not touching mine since winter i got brave and opened in again....my vent has been working fine for the last month or so. after opening fully it seemed fine, but while closing its seems to be binding up again. i could hear it skip a few teeth, but was still able to close it.
now i still think something is still sticking in my track???
could my teeth be so rounded by now that they are gonna skip no matter what?
Old May 16, 2012, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I forgot to mention, years ago... I took out the old screws that held the motor in place, replaced them with identical stainless screws, and put a dab of threadlock on them... haven't had a problem since.
Old May 21, 2012, 08:56 AM

Good tip. Stainless and loctite.
Old May 28, 2012, 11:03 AM

A few things to add. Just got done messing around with my sunroof that would close only half way.

Lots of good info in this thread, but no need to take the entire sunroof apart.

I realized my motor was still in place and had all three screws in place, two were a bit loose but not really a big deal.

After doing thr relearn sequence, the darn thing would still only close 3/4 of the way.

I took the motor down and ran it off the track, full close, full open, and tilt, then reinstalled in. same crap.

So as a last resort I pushed the glass forward till fully closed. i ran the motor off the track till in the fully closed position and then installed in and allowed the motor to tilt the glass up till it was closed.

I also realized there was a lot of dirt and crap in the tracks so i used a toothbrush and some babywipes and cleaned as much of the gunk out as i could. I then sprayed some white lithium grease on both sides of the track. Now it works perfectly..Hopefully it stays that way.

Hope this helps as well.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:16 PM

mine had 2 screws back all the way out and 1 barely threaded in. this thread helped a ton!
Old Jul 8, 2012, 12:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my sunroof stopped funcioning properly today. it began making grinding sounds a few weeks ago. yesterday i noticed one side wasnt up all the way when i had it closed. today it didnt want to close all the way. i pressed the button for tilt and it closed, but wont tilt. if i press for it to close it wont slide all the way forward. weird stuff, im hoping an easy fix cuz i like using my sunroof
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine just did this today, Gave it a upper cut! it went forward, removed fuse lol problem sovled. hah i really didn't want the sunroof anyways
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:14 AM

great write up! amazing how much time and hassle a little loc-tite can prevent. I just bought my Evo Saturday with this issue and will be fixing tonight.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:24 PM

So mine was not the easy fix so many are experiencing here. Im hoping someone can help with a more complex problem.

My sunroof was actually crooked when I would push it all the way forward, so i romeved the whole track (glass included) to see if i could diagnose the problem. turns out the slider on passenger side was not even on track at all.

I put it back in the track and moved both sides fully forward in hopes to sync the coils again. But once i hooked it up to the motor and opened the roof again annoying clicking! After bringing the glass forward again the same thing happened. The tracks were not align and it was skipping.

Anyone have any suggestions? I can provide pictures or more information if needed
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:08 AM

I never realized this was a common problem with these cars... My 05 had the same problem with the sunroof, luckily it was still covered under warranty a couple of years ago. They just said the bolts rattled loose.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:13 AM

Another quick question

Does anyone know if the sunroof need the glass to in order to learn during the initialization process? I removed it so I could see what was wrong with the track sliders and would rather test it without having to remove the glass everytime
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:43 PM

To the OP, thanks for the write up on sunroof fix. Instruction were well written and easy to follow.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Mine have all the screws in place but alignment is an issue on closing. Guess i'll try to take the glass out..
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Anyone happen to know which pins to jump power to in order to get the roof to slide back and forth? I have the whole assembly out of the car and found a couple broken plastic clips... wanted to make sure nothing else was needed before i ordered parts.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
double check your fuses too. my car had the wrong size fuse in it ....problem solved for me. but again u never know what kind of idiot would do whatever , so u never know what u might find sometimes!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to fix a stuck sunroof