Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How to fix a stuck sunroof

Old May 12, 2009, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tagged for later tonight. my sunroof got stuck open when i got to work today good thing rain isn't in the forecast!
Old May 14, 2009, 07:31 PM

This is too strange... Mine got stuck on the exact same day. When I tried to open it, there was a loud grinding sound and it barely moved open and would not close. The only difference is that it did start to rain before I could get it closed. At any rate, I will try out this fix tomorrow.
Old May 15, 2009, 10:24 AM

thanks for that help. way easier that i thought it would be!
Old May 15, 2009, 10:33 AM

sawzall it off
Old May 15, 2009, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
nice write up, hard to read
Old May 17, 2009, 10:15 AM

This was a wonderfull write-up. I performed the task last night and it went without problems. Thanks.
Old May 21, 2009, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Help help!!

I just did the write up and everything worked great. ALMOST? Ok the sunroof is doing the go all the way back and then go up 2 in at a time thing. Also it won't completely close! I can't seem to figure out why. I get close to the edge and then theres a loud kind of crack noise and it stops. Kind of like its at it's last resolution.Idk what to do? I had some questions while doing this but it seemed to be working fine until now. I need to know how do you get the motor in the fully open position. Mine just kept spinning never stopped. Also How long does it take for the computer to learn the resolutions and what do you have to do for it to learn it?

REALLY NEED HELP WITH THIS I THINK THERE WILL BE RAIN SOON AND I REALLY WANT TO GET THIS FIXED.

Thanks
Davis
Old May 22, 2009, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

ANYBODY. Need help on this one
Old May 25, 2009, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for wonderful instructions. Took me about 2 hours to fix. If there is a next time, it will take about 20min.

Do not bother taking apart anything at the front of the headliner. Disassemble the back, pull away C pillar covers and bend the back of the headliner down at the B pillar. There is plenty of room to work back there, and no damage done to the headliner - well, at least not any that is visible.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 04:02 PM

My god...thanks for the write up...Mitsubishi in San Leandro was trying to charge me $973.38 for PARTS and $540 for 4 HOURS of LABOR to fix my sunroof!!!

THATS $1513.38

$483.03 for the Housing, Sunroof - Part #MR991719
$405.11 for the Motor, Sunroof DR - Part #MN126654
$42.62 for the Cable, Sunroof DR - Part #MR523027
$42.62 for the Cable Sunroof DR - Part #MR523028

I am so lucky I decided to look online and do some research and found this!!!

The only thing that was wrong with my sunroof was exactly what everyone else's problem was...took the headliner off and two screws came tumblin out. Did everything as explained...took me three hours, locktite'd everythin and works like a charm now.

ONCE I TOOK OFF THE HEADLINER
Only one screw holding it on
Name:  CIMG2155.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  44.4 KB

I am extremely pissed off that they charged me to diagnose the problem but if they in fact did do a diagnosis they would of found that this was the problem!!! They said my wires were stripped and the motor was burned out because it was caught in the wire harness that came undone. THESE BASTARDS DIDNT EVEN CHECK and CHARGED ME ANYWAY!!!

The only thing they did right in which I wouldnt let them diagnose anything and told them to just do the work was that I asked them to re-flash my ECU to get rid of a pesky p0300...which by the way if anyone's havin a problem with that and has minor mod's there is a TSB from mitsubishi for a fix that is specific to the misfiring issue (but thats for another thread).

Last edited by Hizashi; Jun 3, 2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Hey what's that misfire issue you were talking about. I think mine is doing the same thing. Kind of boggs down when you hit constant high speed for a little while? and the "service engine soon light" comes on? Let me know if this is the same thing. I need to get this fixed. Thanks.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 08:36 AM

Can anyone tell me if this applies to an 03 OZ Rally as well... my sunroof has been stuck since October - I had to have 2 guys pull it closed If this fix applies as well, please let me know so I can be sunroof functional for the summer again.

Thanks
Old Jun 5, 2009, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

I would certainly think it would be the same on the OZ. Or at least extremely similar and this will still enable you to fix it yourself. Give is a try!
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:39 PM

I'll take a look at it this weekend and post feedback on how it goes... I think that I might re-upholster my headliner while I have it off... we'll see

Thanks
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:47 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
will be the same Icy Diva ^ hopefully this solves your problem. If not, next meet I'm at I can have a look.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to fix a stuck sunroof