Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How to fix a stuck sunroof

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2011, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to thank the OP for this contribution, and to post up to say that ive been wanting to do this for over 4 years now and finally got it done . Using this how to i was able to sucessfully fix my moonroof. just had a few hang ups but i worked it all out. Im pumped about this and i figured i would share . Now that my panels are out im going to go stealth and make my interior all one color , the way it should have been out of the factory
Old May 7, 2011, 10:12 AM

Just did this today and let me tell you it was well worth the time. I spent only about twenty to twenty five minutes because I didn't remove the whole headlines since not needed. I took out the oh sht handles, removed three back headlines clips, and the pillars against the rear windshield, and was able to ply the headliner back with plenty of room to work on it. Found my motor dangling by one screw, obviously not even connected to its gears. Re connected it, played with the controls a bit and works like a charm. Great write up!
Old May 9, 2011, 05:47 AM

Question PROBLEM(s) PLEASE HELP

After dropping the headliner I had the same screw holding the motor loosely and found one in the passenger rear pillar. The other one ?... After messing with getting the sunroof to open fully and refitting the motor in place I had one successful cycle (open, closed, vent, close, open) and then it went south. The sunroof then would try closing, hit the deflector bar and get sent back to nearly fully open. I fix that. After that it goes into the 2-3 inch forwards at a time and will not shut for the last 3 inches. So I start over multiple times and it eventually tries to tilt to the vent position while still open, causing the roof to slightly flex upward. Even when I can get it to close the switch seems to be tripping out. If I hold tilt while it is closed it does nothing, but if I push close again, it tilts up to the full vented position. Opening works fine every time without the reprogram phase happening. Also, about 6 inches from closing the passenger side is getting caught on something which slows that side down, while the other side is trying to move at normal speed which makes it slide back to fully open. After having hours of Fun with it I cleaned out the rails, and the painted section where the roof dips to make contact with the rubber seal. I cleaned the rubber seal and still problems. From cleaning the rails I stripped the old grease away but used a temporary lubricant to see if it resolved anything before I buy a grease and a silicon lube for the rubber seal. Tried closing it but again still messing up... So I stopped until I can get what I need. I have the downloaded manual showing the parts of the sunroof, should I tear it down to clean it fully or what? Idk what to do but I have to wait till next weekend to get back into it. Any tips or solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by robertnorman06; May 9, 2011 at 05:49 AM.
Old May 10, 2011, 10:29 PM

i tried this method and it was half success for me. it opens and closes fine but every time i try to tilt the gears jumps. after that it gets stuck.. can someone help me?
Old May 10, 2011, 10:45 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I noticed that on my Ralliart before I sold it. I came to the conclusion the rubber was sticking to the metal and with that resistance it was throwing it off. Make sure it isn't sticking too badly.
Old May 11, 2011, 12:15 AM

thank you for the response. what rubber are you talking about? the rubber trim on the glass? thank you
Old May 11, 2011, 07:52 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Yes. Namely the rear on mine. I think there was some wax residue on mine. So i cleaned the rubber and in the bent sheet metal really well. Seemed to help quite a bit.

If it's a tracking issue, don't be surprised if it fixes itself either.
Old May 11, 2011, 10:49 AM

Spent another two hours trying to get it to work today without success. I cleaned out both the inner and outer tracks on both sides and it still has an issue 6 inches from close and slows way down for the last 3 inches. I reset the motor and it will close fully while I guide it with slight pressure pressing forward, opens like its brand new, and when it closes again it stops a good 3 inches from close and it will stop there every time after. That's even with holding the button forward after it closes for more than 10 seconds and the same for when it is fully open. The tilt button still wants to do nothing. I'm almost about to drop the whole thing, clean it up, and hope for the best. Could it possibly be something to do with the "geared cable"? Please help if you have any information
Old May 12, 2011, 08:13 AM

Fixed

For the most part my sunroof works FINALLY. I got home from work and decided to jump into finding out what was the problem. Well, I removed the glass, and used the control to slide it to open and closed until I noticed a metal bar or pin was not in the sloped slot it was supposed to be in. The other side was fine but when the drivers side would go back, the pin would hit the outside of the sloped plastic piece it was supposed to be in and ride up it until everything would move back. Then when you would try to close it, it would move forward while the sloped piece would have to wait a few inches before it began to move. So I fixed that and still I could see it was hanging up slightly on the passenger side. I pulled the shade out and a rubber "bumper" was missing in the middle passenger side of the shade while the drivers side bumper was still there. Well, while pushing to close I guided the shade forward and everything closed fine. I removed the one bumper from the drivers side until I can get a new one or figure out if it really needs it at all.

I'm gonna lube up the track of the shade because it is pretty tough trying to pull it forward by hand and I think that is why it was struggling for the last 3 inches of closing.

I'll post an image of the bar outside of the sloped piece if I can get it off my iPhone and if I have the time. Thanks for the write up, it at least helped me get the headliner out in one piece. Ps- I thought the visor clips were the easiest part, just push one side in while holding it so the side stays popped out and use the same flat head to pop the other side while slightly pulling down. Also, use a old fork for the clips at the back of the headliner, worked perfectly.

Last edited by robertnorman06; May 12, 2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old May 12, 2011, 08:19 AM

Removing Shade

Anyone know how to get the shade out of the track... I need to know since I am dying the headliner while it is out and I want it to match. Plus a previous owner was a chain smoker obviously and stained it in spots so it needs to be done.
Old May 27, 2011, 12:58 PM

I will pay if someone can fix mine for me .. Im bad at following steps! Im in nj

- please help!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks a TON! Now I can cancel my appt. at the dealership Wednesday.

I followed these instructions to a T and they worked perfectly. I also had 2 screws fall completely out with the 3rd on it's way, one of the screws that I was having a hard time finding had fallen down into the rear passengers side pillar...so if you are looking for a missing screw check the rear pillars to see if it's hung up on those plastic fins beneath the pillar. Use some Blue loctite on the threads to make sure they don't back out again.

I took my time, but I found the side pillars to be the biggest pain when trying to get the headliner back in. I didn't want to remove them so I had to be careful when flexing them to get those round clips in.

The only question I have is the following -

1. The sunroof appears to have a slight dip in the rear about 1/16" inch down from the roof, can anyone confirm with their sunroof that this is the case after fixing?

I looked back through some old pictures I had of my car and they aren't clear enough to make out the slight dip in the rear of the sunroof seal.

This picture appears to show a slight dip in the rear with the sunroof/seal but I want to make sure.

Last edited by Smoothgangsta; Jul 11, 2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Mine just stoped going back. It goes up and dwn, but when i try to make it go back it goes about 4 inches and stops :/
Old Sep 13, 2011, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Mine is making clicking noises when I try to close it now.. It is currently HALF stuck open on the left and shut and inward on the passenger side.. This sucks.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:33 PM

To the last person who posted, it's time to re-mount your motor. When I dropped my headliner the gear was only touching one of the two notched cables and was making the same clicking noise. also, to the person who said they aren't good with directions it is too easy besides getting the headliner back in but many people didn't drop their headliner and it seems to be easier... One of your screws WILL be in the passenger rear pillar but that isn't hard to get to and another will be in the headliner or also in the pillar. I dyed my headliner when I took it out and it was worth it since it was dingy. I went black but if mine wasn't so dirty I would have done it in a dove or charcoal grey to match the carpet. If u dye yours, leave the visors, dome light, oh **** handles, and the rectangle sunroof surround the stock color... I did and like it, but the 3 rear button retainers should be dyed as well. My motor was a b**** to fix but really my problem was the shade not wanting to close properly with the glass and throwing it out of whack. If you have problems getting yours to relearn the cycle, remove the glass and it works fine after a few goes. I also used a bottle cap to align the rear part of the glass, sliding it back on the sides until the rear was level with the roof... I've heard a few people also say theirs is dipped in the rear an 1/8th inch but I made it level since water will pool up there. Also, very important, be careful with the front pillars because the retaining clips will fall through the holes they r in and have fun getting replacements unless from a dealer.

Quick Reply: How to fix a stuck sunroof