Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How to fix a stuck sunroof

Old Oct 30, 2005, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to fix a stuck sunroof (headliner removal too)

OK, my sunroof went back like 3 inches and wouldn't go forward. So, I kept trying to move it back and then go forward and when it would try to go forward I could hear the gears jumping. Needless to say it got stuck all the way back.

I was going to bite the bullet and take it to the dealership (not covered anymore - mileage).

I decided to give it a shot and see if I could fix it. It was WAY easier than I thought. Ready:

1. Remove the roof mounted accessories (always disconnect the battery before anything)

a. O-**** handles (3) - pop the rubber boot up on the outside edges and then #2 Phillips removes the screws.

b. Clips by back window (3) - I pulled the headliner down and got my fingers on top and then just applied even pressure and POP off they came. Do one at a time. Take your time on these.

c. Molding around sunroof opening - grab it and pull toward middle of opening. No big tricks here

d. Sun visors (2) - leave clipped in place. Remove screws #2 Phillips (2-each) then un-clip and you have to rotate them down. Swivel and pull gently. You'll get it. They have two small fingers forward and two friction clips on the side. Imagine the visor hanging down vertically. Now, pull down and push toward windshield.

e. Visor clips (2) - you need two slotted screw drivers 1/4" or 3/8" worked for me. These are a pain . Push a screwdriver from each side in the notches. You have to push the both at the same time. Then the clip will pop out and just drop down.

f. Dome light - use a 1/4" - 3/8" slotted screwdriver to remove the clear cover. Then use a 10mm socket to remover the bolts (2) on the sides. Un-clip the connector. Push little hook-tab and pull off.

g. THIS MUST HAPPEN AFTER THE DOME LIGHT! ! ! Sunroof switch trim - with the dome light removed you can look up on the hole and see the grey trim and where it clip on behind the headliner. Use a 1/4" slotted or smaller screwdriver and pop the grey hook clip off and the trim piece will just pop off.

2. Pull back the pillar covers and where they clip in there are white grommets in the headliner. Remove those so they don't get lost.

Now, if I can remember back 1 hour well your headliner should be ready to remove.

3. Lay the driver seat all the way back and with the back door open, get in on all four corner and **gently** flex the headliner to get it our from behind the pillar covers. Then tilt and slide it out the back driver door.

NOW- on to the sunroof track/motor----My car only had one screw (pic to follow) holding the motor in place?!?! It was the most critical one but there are three places for screws. Why save weight there??? My headliner has never been removed so that is how it came from the factory.

4. Drop the motor and now you can get the teeth back in line. I tried to push the sunroof closed and then mount the motor. BUT, I found that the roof didn't seal too good.

**Note** the motor has programmed revolutions. You have to make sure that it is in the position that you want it when you install it. I hooked up the connector and used a double alligator clip for a ground. Then connected the batter and used the switch (still connected and mounted on the roof) to make sure I was in the right sequence.

What worked best for me was to open the roof, all the way back, not tilted up. Then I pushed with light pressure towards back on both sides of the sunroof (glass) by the track. This makes sure that the sunroof is straight and all the way open. Then with my motor in the "fully open" rotation sequence. I reinstalled and added the two missing screws to prevent this from happening again.

Screws - M5- 0.8 pitch- 25mm in length. I use hex head put if you can get Phillips they would be easier to use. It is a bit tricky to get hex up there and get them to bite.

5. Now do everything in reverse to put the headliner / accessories back in.

I searched and no one said anything about sunroof trouble. So, I hope this helps out he next guy with trouble.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sunroof screws.pdf (74.0 KB, 264 views)
Old Oct 31, 2005, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Nice write up. Glad I don't have a sun-roof.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

This is outstanding!

I took a rock to the front pssngr side roof. Right where they can't fix the dent & paint without repainting the whole roof. The guy said they would have to remove the roof liner in order to remove the antenna boot on the roof, or the repair paint might peel. He said it would be about 4 to 5 hundred dollars less if I brought him the car with the antenna off. This write up will help immensely.

sorry for your trouble ...
BUT THANKS FOR THE HELP !!!

:-)
Old Oct 31, 2005, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Glad it will help someone out.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

mine has been off track for like 4 months...i might give this a try this weekend
Old Nov 2, 2005, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Admins,

Can I get a sticky?
Old Nov 2, 2005, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

i would use a sledgehammer......
Old Nov 2, 2005, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

u missed a step.

~Once taken out replace with Carbon Fiber Insert

BTW good write up
Old Nov 2, 2005, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

props man job well done
Old Nov 12, 2005, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

ok so i finally got around to fixing my sunroof...and let me tell you that cajun power's instructions are great...i follwed them step by step and everything worked the way it was supposed to work....about that one screw thing holding the motor in place.....when i dropped my roof liner i had 2 screws come rolling out so i suspect that the screws came loose and fell out causing the motor to fall off track....anyways i put all three screws back in any everything works great....hes right about the visor clips being a pain but everything else is relativley easy if you have some patience....once again thansk for the write up Cajun!!
Old Nov 28, 2005, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

I just removed my back seat to run some wires and I found one of the missing screws under my seat. I guess the factory trq specs for those screws is inadequate. I would rather one of those fall out than a head-stud... Live and learn.

Admins,
Thanks for the sticky.
Old May 20, 2006, 01:45 AM
Evolving Member

my sunroof finally died and am hoping this will fix it. thnx for the write up.
Old May 22, 2006, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Great right up. Mine is not fully going up as much as it use to maybe the screws are either loose or have fallen out like you stated with your experience. Thanks Cajun Power
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

The dealership wanted $179.99 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spent a while on it with this write up and the sun roof works perfectly! Thanks so much.

ONLY suggestion is that the clips in step B are more easily removed by pushing the headliner up and sliding a thin flathead in to pop them out. Just found it much easier for myself. God I love these forums
Old Oct 9, 2006, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine went out yesterday (Oct 8th). Luckily I have some friends that know how to take apart the interior. (One installs car stereo systems for a living). Come to find out, one of the screws had fallen out and the other two had come lose letting the motor drop down. This prevented the gear from coming in contact with the cable drive. After we put the motor back in and tested to make sure the sun roof would open and close I used Loctite to make sure the screws wont back out again.

Also, you don’t have to take the roof liner out, you can just push it forward till it hits the front dashboard. It gives you plenty of room to work on the motor from the back seat.

Thanks for the instructions here, and thanks to my friends for the help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to fix a stuck sunroof