Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

In-dash dvd monitor

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2005, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In-dash dvd monitor

I am planning on purchasing a clarion in-dash dvd palyer(Monitor ). My main question is if I will need to run a wire to the battery for constant power. I have had a hard time finding a definite answer.

My plans were to use a wiring harness. Install a ground to the e-brake and a bolt behind the head-unit(ground ) with a switch to turn this safety feature on and off. Now back to my main question, which is will I need a constant power supply from my battery.

Also, I have searched a lot on this subject so please either answer the question or critique my installation plans. This is for the entertainment of passengers and for excellent i-pod interface, so please do not flame me for doing this mod as opposed to a power mod.
Thanks

Last edited by keevo54; Nov 27, 2005 at 02:27 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Nov 27, 2005, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i have an alpine d900. i dident run no wire.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

if you are planning on running the internal amp (from the clarion control unit box) it is not a bad idea to run a heavier wire from the battery. it wont be difficult, just run it on the pass. side, mount the control box under the pass.seat, and your done. i dont think you will even have to extend the harness.....fuse it 12 to 18 inches from the battery. 12 ga. should be ok!
Old Nov 27, 2005, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You dont need to, but it definatly wont hurt anything if you do. The only thing that you will benefit from is your lights on your radio wont dim, and you might have better sound quality (this is highly speculative)

I have installed many of the Pioneer 80mp units along with the alpine 9831's which both require constant 12volt source to the battery, and havent seen any major changes.

If it were my car, I would get a good ground and call it a day..
Old Nov 28, 2005, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Matthew333
if you are planning on running the internal amp (from the clarion control unit box) it is not a bad idea to run a heavier wire from the battery. it wont be difficult, just run it on the pass. side, mount the control box under the pass.seat, and your done. i dont think you will even have to extend the harness.....fuse it 12 to 18 inches from the battery. 12 ga. should be ok!
Alright, so if I run the wire I will use 12 gauge wire as you have recommended here and I have seen on other forums, but what type of fuse. Any more input on is this wire from the battery necessary?
Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

hey thats the one i got in my car!!! well as for me i never ran another wire to the battery i just bought a harness for it so that i dont need to cut anymore wires. you can get a harness in best buy or circuit city, just tell them its for a clarion. Me and my friend installed it and it was a piece of cake. Just follow the instruction what color goes to where. You dont need to run it to the battery unless you are getting subs and there pushing alot of amps..
Old Nov 29, 2005, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just get a 10 gauge amp kit and you will be set...comes with everything you need. We sell them for 39.00...(tsunami)

10 gauge is actually what crutchfield reccomends as well
Old Nov 29, 2005, 06:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed the Clarion VRX755VD in David's RS which is a touchscreen flipout dvd player. He has had no problems at all. I currently have the pioneer 6400 in mine and have not had any problems either. The only thing that irritated me was trying to get all the wires, rca's etc... back in the small area. David's deck seemed to fit in his car better than mine for some reason. The pioneer units always have a ton of extra stuff on them.

I have done numerous stereo and custom installs on all different kinds of vehicles and never had a problem with the stock wiring going to the headunit. You should be fine!

Jarrod
Buschur Racing Inc.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jrod@Buschur
I installed the Clarion VRX755VD in David's RS which is a touchscreen flipout dvd player. He has had no problems at all. I currently have the pioneer 6400 in mine and have not had any problems either. The only thing that irritated me was trying to get all the wires, rca's etc... back in the small area. David's deck seemed to fit in his car better than mine for some reason. The pioneer units always have a ton of extra stuff on them.

I have done numerous stereo and custom installs on all different kinds of vehicles and never had a problem with the stock wiring going to the headunit. You should be fine!

Jarrod
Buschur Racing Inc.
^^ Do what he said. Use factory harness. Make your life simple.