Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

DIY - Paint Custom Paint Your Rims! Red Lip (Lots of Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2007, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks great!!! im thinking about doen the same to mine. but with the blue lip
Old Oct 6, 2007, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Ya the blue looks real nice heres some better pics of my car. These pics they are about 5 months, some nicks but not too hard to touch up. let me know what you think man
Later
DJ

Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:25 PM

extremely informative write up....thanx.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Hey I think I found a better way to paint the lips, this is how I did mine, and cuz i've had so many questions Im just going to post it up to share.

So when I went about painting mine, I had my wheels, more or less scuffed cleaned and preped.

Then I had my tires mounted and Road Force balanced,(sticky weights only)

After they were accurately balanced, I used the machine at work and poped off the top bead of the tired so it sat in the drop center. (and the tired dosn't move because the inside bead is still locked to the wheel)

What that does is allows you to tape off the tire finish preping and actualy paint the entire way around the front lip of the tire. So you can spray you color (s) and clear if you want. Make them all nice and prety,

Then all you have to do is inflate the tire after the paint cures and reset the bead.

Hope this helps out I think this is a good way to paint the whole lip without those little marks where the tape touches the lip. and a good alternative to to praying you dont mess up your paint work trying to remount tires.

I also found it easier to paint the different color lip (blue in my case) first. and then tape off the blue lip that you want to keep. Just making sure your tape meets in an even line around the lip. then just folding the tape over the lip.

also to paint the Dimonds a different color I found a easy trick to tape them off well.

After you have them painted you base color (black in most of our cases) and let that dry

You take a peice of wide blue painters tape (wide enought to cover the entire dimond in one peice) and then take a somewhat blunt edge (screwdriver) and push the tape into the dimons and around all the edges.

Then you take a razor blade or box opener, and cut the dimons out, making the long lines that inersect in the middel first. then the tips of the dimonds.

Peel them out paint, dry, remove tape, clear (optional) enjoy

Like I said just passing on some of what i learned worked well doing my wheels,
Hope this helps
Later
DJ

Last edited by Redlimit835; Oct 18, 2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 08:04 AM

ok..so i have a question. i just picked up a set of spare evo 8 rims for my track tires and do not have the tires mounted yet. can i paint them before i mount the tires..or should i wait until the tires are mounted? the reason i am asking is because i don't know if the process of putting on the tire will chip the paint or not.

it would be easier for me to do it before i get the tires on, but if it isn't a good idea, i will wait until they're mounted.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

idk man, i didn't want to put all the work into making them all prety to mess it up putting my wheels on. now if your getting them powder coated that has a much better chance of not getting messeed up. otherwise i'd recomend mount and balaance then pop of the bead (only one at a time) and painting them then. it would be to easy to mess up the paint with the tire changing/ balancing machines.
my 2 c
later
DJ
Old Nov 14, 2007, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

damn that looks nice
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Sadly I had to get some new sets or tires and got the lips badly damaged. I was thinking about repainting just the lips. Will it work?
Old Nov 15, 2007, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

has anyone painted their stock bbs rims? if so can you post pics.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JJsevol
has anyone painted their stock bbs rims? if so can you post pics.
See above^^^^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by evolucion
Sadly I had to get some new sets or tires and got the lips badly damaged. I was thinking about repainting just the lips. Will it work?
It should as long as you tape off the face of the wheel and re prep the lip. i would do some recearch and maybe you could sand the whole face w/ 2000 and just lay some new clear on the whole thing while your at it. it'd be a good time to fix any nicks and marks you have on your wheels already>>>>
my 2 c
later
DJ
Old Nov 29, 2007, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

im back in the game im buying another evo
Old Nov 29, 2007, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

nice write up. im about to do this. still dont understand how to paint the inside of the rim?
Old Nov 29, 2007, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostinjuice
nice write up. im about to do this. still dont understand how to paint the inside of the rim?
just paint it dont worry about like making the inside perfect. same way as painting the outside of the rim tape up and paint.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i found the best way to paint the lip.
paint the whole wheel black, then spray the outer rim without focusing on a true line/masked area.
then when the lip dries u cover the red line then paint the wheel black again.
kinda hard to explain but the red lip comes out super straight unlike the OP.
http://img126.imageshack.us/my.php?i...rims0591af.jpg
u can see around 9-10 o'clock position some not-so-good masking
Old Dec 26, 2007, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

just had to put my two cents in, this write up is very good and detailed. i just did my 9 wheels ,went a diff route and did them metallic gold, i would have to say it looks pretty good ,the coolerst tip I thought was the flash cards cut out lots of time tapeing!! thumbs up for this tread!!!

Quick Reply: DIY - Paint Custom Paint Your Rims! Red Lip (Lots of Pictures)