Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

DIY - Paint Custom Paint Your Rims! Red Lip (Lots of Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2006, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
look out for my pix...gonna do my rims...then paint my stock tails black ...

here's my theme so far...

...can't wait to see how mine turns out!

Last edited by Evoryder; May 1, 2006 at 12:19 PM.
Old May 1, 2006, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gloss black would look nice. With or without the red lip? I say with. Hey guys I have some old Racing Hart C5's that I may put on my car if I car repaint them a light gold or bronze. The white paint that is on them now looks pretty tough so I might have them sand blasted to save time and because I am lazy.
Where can I get light bronze wheel paint? I want the same color as the Advan's on this evo.
Attached Thumbnails DIY - Paint Custom Paint Your Rims! Red Lip (Lots of Pictures)-racin-hart-003t.jpg   DIY - Paint Custom Paint Your Rims! Red Lip (Lots of Pictures)-img_1406d.jpg  
Old May 2, 2006, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KiRrSAcE
1. Yeah thats fine you just want to ruff it up.
2. I didnt strip them i dont like using that stuff

1. Are you saying to dip the sandpaper into water before starting to sand?
2. Do you sand "after" the primer ONLY if you have bubbles, right?
1. Just keep the sand paper wet because it likes to wear out fast without water. i only used water because i had 600grit no need if you had a low grit

2.yes
I wouldn't recommend any sandpaper less than 400 grit. Anything less will leave scratches that will have to be painted over then sanded again, to remove the scratches. Plus, you will have a lesser chance of sanding through the paint into the wheel.
Old May 2, 2006, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Day Two of Adventure

OK fellahs. Day Two is now complete.

I know that some of you went with either the stripping, no stripping, sanding, no sanding, primer, no primer route. I personnaly decided that if I was going to do anything, then I'd better take my time and do it with old fashioned blood, sweat, and tears. Not really tears! I decided to strip each wheel as close as I could get them using aircraft stripper and then wet-sand them using a 400-grit sponge that I bought at Autozone for about two bucks. I must say that for those of you who have never used the aircraft stripper, it's absolutely marvelous. I could see the aluminum on after the first coat was sprayed. As I was washing dishes last night, I noticed that my wife has a "knife looking" thing I thought could help me out with the scraping duties of the wheels. I'm glad I did. That little thing worked like a charm. I'm sorry that I don't know what it's called. It looked like one of those jailhouse knives seen in movies. On day one, I was forced to use an ice scraper. It was pretty good but it doesn't compare to this "knife thing". This thing was able to get even those small parts of the wheels where the bolts go. I'll just have to post a picture of it later.

I was finally able to get a standard shop jack so that I could start on wheels three and four this morning. It's been two days (4-5 hours each) for me to get where I am now.

And where's that?

I was able to get one wheel completely stripped down to the aluminum using aircraft stripper and then wet-sanded to smooth things out. The only thing I have left to do on wheel two is wet-sanding. That should take me about 20 minutes tomorrow morning. It's taking about 5-6 coats of aircraft stripper to get each wheel down to the aluminum. After the stripping is complete, I used a 400-grit sandpaper sponge to remove the "glue" type substance remaining on the outside of the wheel. And for the inside of the wheel, I used a piece of steel wool. I'm not too concerned about the inside being as smooth as the outside. The outside feels like a baby's behind.

Here are a few pictures of the wheels before the primer and gloss black paint is added. I should be done in about three days if the Washington weather stays as nice as it has.

If these pictures don't show up, I can email them to anyone wanting to see them.
Old May 2, 2006, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Hey kirrsace, you ended up painting over the wheel weight thats used to balance your tires, what if you change your tires and have to rebalance, then you'd have to adjust the paint which ends up in a big mess.

not for me but nice color scheme
Old May 3, 2006, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Fellahs.

I'll be done stripping my wheels today. I plan on masking/taping the entire tire for the priming and paining parts. Would any of you disagree with that approach or should I re-tape the tire before starting each section?

For example, tape, primer, dry, un-tape, re-tape, paint, dry, un-tape, re-tape, clear coat, dry, untape, FINISH!
Old May 5, 2006, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

finished.
Here are a couple pix...will get some better ones later...came out sick...

Old May 5, 2006, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks pretty good man. The red stripe has grown on me. I may try it. Let us know if it starts to chip off. I want to know how long it lasts before I paint mine.
Old May 6, 2006, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Evoryder.

Those wheels of yours look pretty good.

Fellahs.

Well I finally finished my wheels after five days. I went the aircraft stripper route down to the aluminum, four coats of Duplicolor black primer inside and outside, four coats of Duplicolor gloss black engine paint, and four coats of Duplicolor clear. The wheels didn't come out perfect but for right now they'll have to do until the next great idea comes to my empty head.

In retrospect, I'd do things like this:

1. Maybe a shot or two of a high-power sprayer at my local car wash to remove some of the yet remaining residue.

2. Without using the aircraft stripper and just go with using the 320-grit sandpaper on the wheels followed by the primer and paint. Why? If the paint starts to chip, I could've just gone with the aircraft stripper using Point #1. Again, a learning experience.

BOTTOM LINE:

Route #1 - I'd start with Point #2 that way if/when the paint chips, the option of stripping the wheel down to the aluminum using aircraft stripper is still an option as Route #2. Again, saving money in the process. If the paint starts chipping after Route #2, then I'd go the powdercoating as Route #3.

I hope this helps you fellahs out. It was certainly a learning experience and a test of patience for me. I can't post my pictures for some strange reason so please PM me if you'd like to see them through email.
Old May 7, 2006, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

^ car looks very nice..loving the setup...and meaty advans

where'd u get the aircraft stripper stuff?
Old May 7, 2006, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

^ I appreciate it bro. I'm glad that you like the pictures. It's a memorial to my mother who suddenly passed away on 6 January.

I got the aircraft stripper from Autozone for about $4.50/can.
Old May 8, 2006, 01:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pure_evo
^ I appreciate it bro. I'm glad that you like the pictures. It's a memorial to my mother who suddenly passed away on 6 January.

I got the aircraft stripper from Autozone for about $4.50/can.

sorry to hear about your mom...glad you're using something you love to remember someone you love
Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Duplicolor makes an actual wheel coating/paint...... I did my stock wheels over a year ago and they still look just as good as the day i did them. I posted a writeup someware on her back then...

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html

Old Jun 13, 2006, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by GOT EVO
Duplicolor makes an actual wheel coating/paint...... I did my stock wheels over a year ago and they still look just as good as the day i did them. I posted a writeup someware on her back then...

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html

I noticed that ur rims are glossy. I am not much fond of Flat black. I wanted to paint mine, but wanted to find out which paint comes out glossy. Guess I have to try the Dupli-Color.

BTW: Very Nice Write Up.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lncrevoviii
I noticed that ur rims are glossy. I am not much fond of Flat black. I wanted to paint mine, but wanted to find out which paint comes out glossy. Guess I have to try the Dupli-Color.

BTW: Very Nice Write Up.

go with the black duplicolor wheel coating and the duplicolor wheel clear coat. Putting clear coat on makes it glossy and also protects the paint. The more clear the glossier it will be, but be carefull as the more clear you apply the more it will change the base color you put on.

Quick Reply: DIY - Paint Custom Paint Your Rims! Red Lip (Lots of Pictures)