Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

brembo face lift, changing the red

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brembo face lift, changing the red

I figured i'd do the write up for this. Its all rather simple. The tools youre going to need are as follows.

17mm socket
14mm socket
12mm socket
wire brush, preferably copper
breaker bar, unless you have a pneumatic gun
ratchet
brake piston spreader (not absolutly needed, but makes it easier to install the caliper with the pads)
brake bleeder, or do it the old fashion way and get a buddy pump and put a hose on the nipple so you dont leak any fluids on the calipers

Materials needed:
1 - 2 cans of VHT caliper paint. You can get that through my shop that I work at Group5 Motorsport.
1 - 2 cans of automotive clear coat. High temp engine enamel clear would work as well.
100 grit sand paper, as well as 300 grit sand paper.
2 cans of brake cleaner
1 large bottle of brake fluid, i.e. Motul, super blue or whatever you use for brake fluid.
baking sheet
Optional: Brembo stickers to replace the orignal logo. Modern Image in Miramar can make them for you. 15 dollars at the most.
Copper banjo washers if needed for the brakes lines.

Step 1: If you already know how to remove your brake calipers and brake lines move on to step 4...if not continue to read. Get your vehicle on jack stands or if available, a lift. Remove all 4 wheels.

Step 2: Removal of brake lines from calipers. When you remove the brake lines take your 12mm socket and if you dont want to be messy you can hang the lines up so the fluid doesnt leak as much or just zip tie a sandwich bag on the end. Remember to check the banjo copper washers on the lines and check them to be replaced. Replace if needed.

Step 3: Take your 17mm socket and loosen the 2 bolts holding the front calipers on. The rears are 14mm. Once you have taken the bolts out, the calipers will come off.

Step 4: Your calipers should be off now and still have the pads in them. There are two pins holding the pads in. Take a punch and tap them out. The pads will come out with no problem. Set them aside and remember which ones go to which rotor unless youre replacing them with new ones.

Step 5: Take some brake cleaner and spray off whatever brake dust and crud off the calipers. Then take your wire brush and get into the cracks removing any of the remaining grease and dust. You should have a fairly clean caliper.

Step 6: You really only need to get the old powdercoat roughed up and you dont have to fully remove it. The paint will stick fine. Take your sand paper, or sanding block and sand the old powder coat. It might take some time getting into all the cracks, but it will offer a better painting surface. So sand, sand, sand..and more sanding. Once you feel that its smooth and no grease or dust is left, clean off the calipers and make sure there ready to paint.

Step 7: Be sure to clog the banjo hole with something so you dont get any paint into the piston. VHT satin black caliper paint. You dont have to apply primer since the surface should be prepped fine and be adequete for the base coats of black.
Hang your calipers so you can apply the paint evenly. Apply 4-5 coats of black caliper paint. Allow proper time to dry in between so you dont get any ones.

Step 8:Once you get your coats on, throw it into the oven at 210 for about 15-20 mins to cure the base coat enough for clear coat. (The oven just speeds the process up, especially for the clear coat)

Step 9: Once out of the oven, make sure the base coat is dry enough to apply the sticker. Hang and it start applying the clear coats. Be sure you dont rush this point, the clear will drip much easier than the base coat. Apply 5-6 coats and throw it back into the over.

Step 10: Allow the calipers to bake in the overn for about 45mins or until the clear is dry enough for install. The finished product should look good if done properly.

Step 11: Follow steps 1-3 in reverse order to reinstall the calipers. If needed, use the piston spreader to make it easier to install the pads back into the caliper.

Step 12: Reinstall all the brake lines and be ready to bleed your lines. Be sure you have someone watching your level in your master cylinder so you dont allow any air into your lines and top it off. Or unless you have a seal cap to put on the end of you bottle and just stick the top of the bottle in there. You want to start with the caliper farthest away from the master cylinder. Which would be the passenger rear. Bleed both nippes doing the one closet to you, then the one on the inside. The inside one should take less time. Then do the driver side rear, then the passenger front, then finally the driverside front.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
post those pics from your first thread and this is sticky material!
Old Mar 11, 2007, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Hey i was looking into doing the same thing myself, but everyone i talk to who knew more about body work and stuff like that keep telling me that a sticker will start to peel when the brakes get hot. and the only way to get a lasting finish would be to completely tear the calipers down, and get them profesionaly powder coated and rebuild them. $$$$$ can you tell me how well yours are lasting???
later
DJ
Old Mar 14, 2007, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Redlimit835
Hey i was looking into doing the same thing myself, but everyone i talk to who knew more about body work and stuff like that keep telling me that a sticker will start to peel when the brakes get hot. and the only way to get a lasting finish would be to completely tear the calipers down, and get them profesionaly powder coated and rebuild them. $$$$$ can you tell me how well yours are lasting???
later
DJ
agreed, i dont think paint even high temp enginge paint will last long, strictly based off the fact that its not nearly as permanent against weather/debris vs. powdercoated, and the stickers idk about that BUT, i wouldnt put them on, the brembo signs on the stock calipers are stamped in a high temp paint/enamal so we know that its protected, i plan on sanding my calipers/powdercoating them gloss black and leaving the brembo signs off the caliper(should look good w/ rotora slotted rotors w/ black hats and all black rims )
Old Mar 14, 2007, 01:38 PM
Account Disabled

id go with powdercoating... im doing it for $220 and im getting gloss black
Old Mar 14, 2007, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
/\ who does them for 220? And do they tear them down and put them back together?
Old Mar 14, 2007, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

2nd ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old Mar 15, 2007, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

very interesting....i'd get my calipers done yellow if there was a place near me to do that
Old Mar 15, 2007, 07:11 AM
mot
Evolved Member

guys theres a local guy to me whos doing mine
for 50$ a caliper and you cant powdercoat them but he has an epoxy paint that does not come off
if youre interested PM me ill give you his information
Old Mar 15, 2007, 07:18 AM

Thanks for the writeup. I'm tired of having to clean my calipers by hand and afraid of spraying them when I take them to the car wash
Old Mar 15, 2007, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

what about making a stencil of the 'Brembo' and using a high temp white paint instead of a sticker?
Old Mar 18, 2007, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know about the stencil idea sounds like alot of work to get it to look clean. not a bad idea though, I think it'd be easier to paint the calipers white then apply a sticker befor you paint them red, then you could peel off the sticker leaving the white brembo. i just dont know how high temp engine enamil would like the peeling of the tape and such.
Later
DJ
Old Mar 18, 2007, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

oh ya i've also heard people tell me to paint the calipers red, apply the sticker then clear over the top of everything sealing the sticker in so i dosn't peel. i thought it sounded good but then someone made the comment about if you did this the sticker could get discolored or burnt from the temp of the brakes> idk
later
DJ
Old Mar 19, 2007, 05:22 PM
mot
Evolved Member

i actually got mine powdercoated and theres a company online that can supply stencils
Old Mar 21, 2007, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

If all else fails im going to use sharpies.
later
DJ

Quick Reply: brembo face lift, changing the red