Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

installing gauges

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2009, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing gauges

ok so i am installing 5 gauges in my evo, aem digital oil press., aem oil temp,. and aem boost, defi volt and defi exhaust temp. on the aem it has four wires for tapping. red for a switched 12v, black for ground, and a blue wire which i think is for dimming and a white wire which i dont know where it is suppose to be. also on the defi it black- ground, orange- 12v ignition, red battery wire, and white which i dont know what it is for. i have the orange and the ground wires hooked up on the defi's and they work when ignition is on and i have the red and ground on the aems which also work when ignition is on so my question is what i should do with the blue and white wires on the aem gauges and the red and white gauges the defi's. thanks alot
Old Mar 19, 2009, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

on the Defi,

Orange - 12V Ignition On power (Cigarette lighter, ecu ect ect)
Red - 12V Constant Power (Can hook up to memory on radio) - This allows the gauge to do its Closing Act (Turning off)
White - Illumination (Green/black wire on the dimmer) - This will dim the LED on the gauge when its night time when u turn headlights on
Black - Ground

Last edited by EclipseMblue; Mar 19, 2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 05:50 PM

ok thanks alot man but with red can i hook it up straight to the battery or does it have to be switched?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

there is a right up here for the defi's thats PERFECT. you need to dig for it though i used it like a year and a half ago. 12v should not be hooked up directly to the battery. If you have a turbo timer + harness usually theres wires off of the harness to allow easy connection. Search for the thread.

fyi orange is ignition, white is illumination, and red is 12v

Last edited by itzcharlez; Mar 19, 2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ure-gauge.html
about half way down the page.

Ok. I rewired my Orange wire of the defi CU to the turbo timer harness, which is connected to the ignition harness.

So, for those of you who want the defi gauges turned on when the car is at ON position, tap the Orange wire to the GREEN wire of the ignition harness. From the ignition harness, the red wire is the constant 12v power and the blue wire is the ACC power.

Defi Control Unit Wiring, guarantee work!
Red (constant 12v power) - tap to either red wire of ignition harness, red/black wire of radio harness
Orange (ignition) - tap to green wire of ignition harness for ON, blue wire of ignition harness for ACC, or brown wire of cigarette lighter for ACC
White (illumination) - tap to green wire of cigarette lighter
Black (ground) - tap to black wire of cigaretter lighter, or any metal bolts/parts

Now, I can listen to radio when the key is at ACC without beeping from the oil pressure gauge.