Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How To: Dual Fuel Lines

Old Oct 5, 2009, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How To: Dual Fuel Lines

When my car was running out of fuel, one look at my stock fuel line, and I knew it was the cause and way too small to support 700whp. You have many options getting the fuel from the pumps to the rail. One idea I liked was using the stock vent line. The vent line is the same diameter as the stock fuel line and ran all the way down the bottom of the car. I wasn’t using this tube so it made sense to utilize it. So basically, all Evo's have two -6AN (5/16) lines running down from their tank to the firewall. Since I already have a Double Pumper setup, I was going to run each pump into its own line all the way to the firewall. From there it would go into a wye and then a larger -8AN would be ran to the fuel rail. This will give more than enough pipe for the fuel to flow. Keep in mind I’m running E85 which requires more fuel to the injectors.

Return Line:
I tried to keep the return line stock but soon realized I had problems with the 2nd pump not kicking on when it was suppose to. This turned out to be a defective hobbs switch. When it did come on, it would spike the fuel pressure causing a rich condition and making it difficult to tune that area. I believe the new twin line setup was causing some of this. Too much fuel coming in and no way for the regulator to return it fast enough. I decided to keep it simple and have both pumps on all the time using a relay to drive the 2nd pump. The problem with that is too much fuel pressure at idle. Some have gotten around this by drilling out the siphon tube. This didn’t appeal to me since the stock return line was still only 1/4” and I wanted something that was closer to -6AN (5/16) size. Unfortunately you can’t run a larger return line since it has to run through the smaller siphon tube. The siphon tube is what sucks the gas from the other tank so its a crucial piece of the fuel system. My solution was to add another 1/4” line and tee it off. This way I could run the larger -6AN into two 1/4" lines back to the tank. The siphon tube will also work and the regulator will be able to return the fuel at idle.

First step on the dual fuel feed, was to cut the vent line close to where the metal fuel line starts. A small body saw or dremel works great. Be careful not to cut the other lines since they are close. You can then bend the line down a little to gain access. Compressed air is blown backwards through the vent line to avoid metal shavings in the line.

New lines and filters installed from the pumps. Zip ties were used to keep the filters in place.

Here is where the vent line ends up. Right next to the stock fuel lines under the brake master.

Here's the new wye. It has two -6AN fittings at the bottom, and -8AN at the top. It also comes with a threaded hole for the fuel pressure sender which is added. Bracket is made out of alum. that will hold it in place to one of the bolts on the brake master.

Here it is installed with both lines attached at the bottom. I tried to route the fuel lines around the brake lines using a 45 degree and straight fittings at the bottom. The wye and some fittings were left overs from another project so its not show quality here but it works.

Other shots farther away-

I also made a custom regulator mount that uses the factory bolts.

The new -8AN fitting at the fuel rail and the -8 hose connecting it.

Here's the top of the fuel pump assembly. Hard to see everything but the square brass fitting at the top is the 2nd return line. The 1st return line is underneath the larger hose on the left.

Hopefully this helps someone wanting to do a custom dual feed fuel setup. There's other ways you can do this but this is how I did mine. Let me know if you have questions.

Last edited by rodent; Oct 5, 2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man that is nice. ive been thinking about doing the same thing. Did you build the double pumper yourself, or got the buschur dp? im thinking about building it all myself, but havnt figured out how i want to get it done. but will most likely look like the buschur style.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks. My twin pump is a Buschur DP.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 01:07 AM
Evolving Member

sweet, that looks like what i will be going with them.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Update-
So far, everything is working great with the dual feed and return lines. The only thing I had to change was the AEM fuel pressure sensor. At the wye, it was fluctuating too much when I was driving down the road. I moved it to the FPR and the fluctuating is gone. The external FP gauge is now on the wye which shows correct at idle.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bumping for sightly more detail maybe a picture or two on how the dual return was done and if you have had any issues with fuel being pulled from the passenger side.

I'd think from a restriction point the fuel would follow the return with the siphon setup...?
Old Nov 10, 2010, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Dual return is easy. From the regulator with -6AN line, I “T” it off. The T (or wye) has a larger fitting for the -6 line and two smaller fittings for the 2 return lines. One goes to the stock return, the other line is added and zip tied along the stock fuel lines. I think I used ¼” line. The additional line ends at the fuel pump assembly where it dumps there with another ¼” fitting on top. It does not dump on the passenger side. I’ll try to get some pictures showing this.

Fuel flows in both return lines and the stock siphon is untouched (not drilled). It will siphon just fine and I’ve been through several tanks with no issues. I know Ted and others have had good luck with the drill method and just use the stock return line only which is only around ¼” size. I wanted something a little larger and let the regulator do its job with no restriction in the return.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 02:14 PM

Nice thats exactly what im doing next!
Old Jan 15, 2011, 02:19 PM

Also Someone at a Evo shop Told me to not use the inline fuel filters because they can fail and starve the motor for fuel... True or False?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL-EVO-8
Also Someone at a Evo shop Told me to not use the inline fuel filters because they can fail and starve the motor for fuel... True or False?
News to me. I've had no issues with mine and Buschur has been selling in line fuel filters with all his double pumpers and dual fuel line kits for years and I haven't read of any problems. Which Evo shop told you this?

I may ditch the cheaper filters though and run a single Aeromotive filter between the wye and fuel rail.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Got some doubts. How can i pass the fuel lines fom top of the tank to the floor? Theres no space do i need to cut both metal line and get rid of them to make some space to pass it down?