evolutionm.net - Home of the Lancer Evolution
Home Features Community Marketplace Registry Garage Store

Go Back   evolutionm.net > Lancer Evolution 1-9 Forums > Evo How Tos / Installations > Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsGarageVendor Directory
Search

Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Welcome to EvolutionM.net!
Welcome to EvolutionM.net.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:29 AM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (1)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: Stock IX ;)

Help! manifold stud replacement

over torqued one of the manifold studs to the block. snapped right off. any recomendations how to replace it?

It's bone stock boss...... i swear

Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:52 AM   #2
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (9)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2006 evo mr

Exhaust mani right? And you actually broke the stud going into an aluminum head? That's crazy. You're going to have to drill out what's left of the stud from the head. I've heard of some other ways to do it but they elude me at the moment. Google. I would imagine with all the torque put on that stud that the threads in the head are probably also screwed. Helicoil? Re-tap? I feel sorry for you. GL

Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:04 AM   #3
Garage is empty, add now

yea i no. i need to know if i have to take the whole head off to get to the stud from the inside and if the are casted in or how to put in a new one?

Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (16)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: Evil 8

You have to go to Sears or whatever store you get your tools at and get an "easy out" or "extractor". You would drill a hole in the broken stud, then back it out with the easy out. It comes in a kit with different sized bits and extractors.

http://www.brokentap.com/easy-outs.html
Tuned by Frenchy, 2.0 Long Rod motor, manley rods, Manley stroker pistons, ARP all around. Stage 3 head, manley SS valves, Kelford 280's, Cosworth beehive springs, PTE 1000cc injectors, Walbro in tank pump/inline pump, Agency power fuel rail, Fuel lab FPR, Sparktech non-cdi, Fidanza cams gears, Magnus cast mani, Works t-body, Shearer mani, HTA3582, Buschur Down pipe, AMS exhaust, no cat, AMS Race FMIC, Tial bov and wastegate, Exedy Triple, AMS small battery kit, Apexi grounding kit. AEM EMS.

Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (33)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2007 GSXR750 ,2003 BMW 325I ,95 Integra GSR (sold), 04 EVO VIII - Tarmac 500hp (sold)

Send a message via AIM to kmcconn9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chele View Post
You have to go to Sears or whatever store you get your tools at and get an "easy out" or "extractor". You would drill a hole in the broken stud, then back it out with the easy out. It comes in a kit with different sized bits and extractors.

http://www.brokentap.com/easy-outs.html
Better get carbide bits, those studs are gonna eat through those bits like crazy...

Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:23 AM   #6
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (23)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 04 SSL

Send a message via ICQ to revvin9k
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcconn9 View Post
Better get carbide bits, those studs are gonna eat through those bits like crazy...
+1, a lil heat would'nt hurt either. Soak the hell out of it with some PB Blaster or equivlent and have at it.

Kuniiizzzeee Dial-IN!

We the people are united, the ones you never look in the eye. We the people the uninvited,

the ones that see right through your lies.

┏┓
┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓ ┏━━┓ ┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫ ┃┏┓┃ ┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫ ┃┏┓┃ ┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛ ┗┛┗┛ ┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:26 AM   #7
Garage is empty, add now

thanks. but my question still is to put a new stud in the block do i just screw it in? or how is it. because i heard from someone that it is casted in and the only way to replace it is to take the whole head off?

Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:06 PM   #8
Evolved Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank420 View Post
thanks. but my question still is to put a new stud in the block do i just screw it in? or how is it. because i heard from someone that it is casted in and the only way to replace it is to take the whole head off?
I have removed all my studs before so they can come out. Pull off your manifold and i'll come there and take it out for a nug of the goods. J/K

Kuniiizzzeee Dial-IN!

We the people are united, the ones you never look in the eye. We the people the uninvited,

┏┓
┃┃

Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:33 PM   #9
Garage is empty, add now

ha thanks for the offer but ill try to fix my idiot mistake. so the stud should just screw out then right?

Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:57 PM   #10
Evolved Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank420 View Post
ha thanks for the offer but ill try to fix my idiot mistake. so the stud should just screw out then right?
Yup. Good luck.

Kuniiizzzeee Dial-IN!

┏┓
┃┃

Old Jan 29, 2010, 02:11 PM   #11
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (16)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: Evil 8

They come right out. Make sure you use some loctite on the threads before you install them. Worst thing that can happen is they back out from vibration. And if there's an oil passage behind the hole, your going to have a leak. One of mine popped out and oil got everywhere. Made a nasty mess.
Tuned by Frenchy, 2.0 Long Rod motor, manley rods, Manley stroker pistons, ARP all around. Stage 3 head, manley SS valves, Kelford 280's, Cosworth beehive springs, PTE 1000cc injectors, Walbro in tank pump/inline pump, Agency power fuel rail, Fuel lab FPR, Sparktech non-cdi, Fidanza cams gears, Magnus cast mani, Works t-body, Shearer mani, HTA3582, Buschur Down pipe, AMS exhaust, no cat, AMS Race FMIC, Tial bov and wastegate, Exedy Triple, AMS small battery kit, Apexi grounding kit. AEM EMS.

Old Jan 29, 2010, 02:38 PM   #12
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (9)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2006 evo mr

Wait a sec, one or some of the exhaust mani studs double(s) as a plug for the oil circuit? I just did mine as well and I have a hard time believing that. Am I misunderstanding something?

Old Jan 29, 2010, 03:37 PM   #13
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chele View Post
They come right out. Make sure you use some loctite on the threads before you install them. Worst thing that can happen is they back out from vibration. And if there's an oil passage behind the hole, your going to have a leak. One of mine popped out and oil got everywhere. Made a nasty mess.
yea thats what i figured thanks alot. im not sure though whether to get just an oem stud are remove them all for the hell of it and get stainless steel ones

Old Jan 29, 2010, 03:37 PM
EvolutionM
Mitsubishi Lancer

Paid Advertisement

Tags
bolt, broken, evo, exhaust, gsr, header, hole, integra, kit, manifold, replacement, stainless, steel, stud, studs