Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Braille Lightweight Battery Installation and Review for EVO IX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2005, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Braille Lightweight Battery Installation and Review for EVO IX

Here’s the first modification done to my 2006 Evolution MR. Aside from removing your spare tire this is probably the next best way to put your Evo on a diet. With the hold-down kit this is a pretty easy job without any custom fabrication and minimal tools.

The stock battery weighs exactly 35 pounds and the Braille battery weights 11.5 pounds, offering a 23.5 pound savings! This is not insignificant considering the high-center weight is removed from the font of the vehicle.

I’ve been using this same battery in my Type R Integra for years. The battery has proven itself to be reliable for year-round use, even during the sub-zero Wisconsin winters.

Battery installation is not rocket science, however this step by step procedure will save people time with their first attempt. It took me extra time to complete this install since I had to discover the best mounting position and discover a few tricks as explained in this write-up.

Simple 7 step procedure.
1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal and then remove the positive side using a 10mm socket wrench. Then unscrew the stock battery support.

2. Remove the plastic/foam battery heat shield box to provide extra room for you hands. Then remove the OEM battery carefully without dropping it back into your engine bay or onto your front bumper!

OEM battery next to the Braille Battery.

3. Before installing the Braille battery remove the electrical wires from ALL three brass support brackets. These need to be removed to allow the positive terminal to reach the Braille battery since it resides at a lower location than the OEM positive terminal location.

NOTE: You need to pop the plastic-disconnect tab for the left two pieces to come loose. The far right plastic piece is very tough to disconnect. I simply gave it a dozen tugs and then it came off. For me this was the hardest part of the entire installation.

4. I found that the best position for the battery is on its side. You’ll need to use the “d-shaped” silver spacers with the brass terminals to clear the side molding of the battery. Using an allen wrench, install the brass thermals. Remember the larger brass terminal is for the positive side of the battery.

5. Before installing the battery hold-down kit reconnect the positive terminal THEN the negative terminal.

6. Now install the short securing rods supplied by Braille Auto (instead of the ones included in the Hold-Down Kit) at the base of the plastic battery box. Notice how the OEM arm has a larger angle than the aftermarket rod. The aftermarket rod is a little harder to lock into place because of this feature. Simply apple good pressure and rotate it back and forth and it will pop into place.

7. Finally, slide the rubber hold-down piece onto the rods and then screw it down securely.

Remember that once you disconnect your battery you’ll have to reprogram your radio stations. Fortunately there is no code to enter to “unlock” the radio. If your Braille battery is properly charged, the volt gauge (in the MR) will still indicate 12 volts with the car off and 14 volts with the car turned on.

I’ve done research on lightweight aftermarket batteries and this Braille one is probably the best to date. It costs $175 which includes shipping. The Hold-Down kit is $25 and really finishes the job professionally. Another nice touch is that Braille Auto includes custom battery securing rods when purchasing the hold-down kit (the rods included in the hold-down kit are too long).

http://www.brailleauto.com/

If you have any questions let me know. I love working on my own car but sometimes I am intimidated to do various projects because of the unknown. Hope this write-up helps you guys out!

Care to make this a Sticky Moderators?

-Josh

Old Nov 27, 2005, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discuss thread HERE!