Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How To: Make Fog Lights funtional WITH PARKING LIGHTS

Old Jan 12, 2007, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To: Make Fog Lights funtional WITH PARKING LIGHTS

I did this on my IX to where when I turn on JUST MY PARKING LIGHTS. I did this with no complications to the wiring or anything else. I will say though, that getting into the area where the main plug is for the headlight assembly was a little tricky. But anyways, here is the way I did and if you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

TOOLS REQUIRED:
*Pliers
*Electrical Crimpers
*Electrical Tape or Shrink Tubing (if you know what and how to use it)
*Wire T-Taps (2) and MALE spade connectors (2) T-Taps w/info
*In-Line Fuse (can be found at local auto-parts store along with t-taps)
*Assortment of MINI spade fuses and regular fuses (depending on type of in-line fuse you buy)
*Approx 12" of 18 guage wire

PROCEDURE:

1. Open your hood and locate the LEFT (drivers) headlight assembly. Take notice to where your FOG LIGHT BULB and connector are. They should be all the way on your left looking down into the engine. This is one connector you will be using.

2. Next locate the MAIN HARNESS PLUG that plugs into the back of the headlight assembly. You will have to cut some of the protective plastic off in order to access the proper wire.

3. The first thing that we will be working with is the FOG LIGHT plug. You will notice that there are 2 wires coming from it (black & red). We will be using the RED wire for this. Take one of your wire taps and pliers and squeeze the tap onto the RED wire. Make sure that you squeeze pretty hard to ensure that the wire has been tapped.

4. Next we will be locating the wire that we will be tapping into on the MAIN HEADLIGHT HARNESS. It is a GREEN/YELLOW wire on the top left of the harness as you are looking DOWN into the engine bay. This is where getting a pair of pliers, your hand, and the t-tap all in that little space a pain in the butt. Locate the GREEN/YELLOW wire and install a t-tap onto that wire.

5. After you have the 2 t-taps installed on the RED wire on the fog light harness and the GREEN/YELLOW wire on the main harness, we will assemble the connecting wire that holds the in-line fuse. Take your 12" piece of wire and put your in-line fuse in there (preferrably the middle but whereever you would like is fine). Then take the 2 MALE spade connectors and but them on each end of the wire. This is where the ELECTRICAL TAPE/SHRINK TUBING comes into play. Ensure that if you are using SHRINK TUBING, you put it on BEFORE you crimp the connectors.

6. Now we will be replacing one of the original fuses in the fuse box in the engine bay. This is the box right by the battery. This is where the MINI SPADE FUSE come in. I can only describe which fuse you will be replacing by picture. So here it is. http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jmroo17/...04158830473/11

7. Next install that connecting wire between the 2 t-taps by just inserting them. Make sure that you have them securily pushed in.

8. Lastly, install a 10 amp fuse in your in-line fuse. Make sure that all connections are tight and no bare metal is visible or touching anything.

9. Turn on your parking lights and make sure they work. If they don't at first, try pushing your fog light switch. I think that is what I had to do to mine the first time. From then on out, your fog lights should come on WHENEVER YOU TURN ON YOUR PARKING LIGHTS.

I hope this helps everybody out and if you have any other questions/comments, feel free to pm me.

Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails How To:  Make Fog Lights funtional WITH PARKING LIGHTS-evo-fog-pics.jpg   How To:  Make Fog Lights funtional WITH PARKING LIGHTS-evo-fog-pics-8-.jpg   How To:  Make Fog Lights funtional WITH PARKING LIGHTS-evo-fog-pics-1-.jpg   How To:  Make Fog Lights funtional WITH PARKING LIGHTS-evo-fog-pics-6-.jpg   How To:  Make Fog Lights funtional WITH PARKING LIGHTS-evo-fog-pics-11-.jpg  

Old Jan 13, 2007, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discuss thread HERE!