Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to Swap Transponders from USDM key to JDM key

Old Jun 14, 2007, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to Swap Transponders from USDM key to JDM key

Okay, this write up is for those of you who have purchased a JDM Evo Key, and can't get it to work w/ your evo.
I have an 05 Evo 8. I could not get mine to program using the basic method. I didn't want to spend 50 bucks to gamble on Hawaii Mitsu being able to program the key to my car, so I decided to just swap the transponders from one of my original keys.

Some of you on evom have had no problem having the dealer program their keys, I don't know if I couldn't because mine is an eight, but other people have confirmed that the transponder from the JDM key does not work w/ USDM ignitions.

First: the tools
Single edge razor blade/tool, Jewlers Phillips head screwdriver, and Jewlers Flat head screwdriver (not shown), I actually used a different crafstman screwdriver, but I put this picture in so everyone does not ask me what a jewlers screwdriver is.

Using the razor, cut along the seam line, starting from the shoulder of the key. It makes it easier if you cut off the loop that holds the key ring, since you wont be using this key anymore anyway.
I suggest starting from the left side (w/ the diamond star facing you), since the transponder is on the right side.

As you can see, you can now access the inner part of the key- the White plastic part:

To fully seperate it, You will need to cut a little rubber part that goes through the key- I'm guessing since the key was molded into the rubber.
after sliding the inner key out, you will be left w/ the next picture, I've outlined in black where the transponder is located.:

You will need to flip it over, and carefully cut a little white tab. You could also cut along the black line, but the plastic is really hard, and you don't want to damage the transponder, this way is a little easier.

The hole in this part, is where the white tab was cut out, and the black rubber plug was removed. You can now use the flat jewlers screwdriver to gently pry the metal part of the key out of the plastic part- there is a little black glue holding it in.

with the metal part of the key removed, you can now use the jewlers screwdriver to GENTLY pry the transponder out of it's home. The top of the transponder was where the rectangle ended, and use the screwdriver, to lightly "wiggle" the transponder out the hole in the bottom.

Now use the phillips head screwdriver to take off the back cover of the JDM key.

You can see the JDM transponder on the right side of the cover, after removal

I debated over what the best way to remove the transponder, I don't suggest using the screwdriver, since it could damage the plastic, and I don't reccomend just using pliers to yank it out either.
Best way, was to use the single edge razor w/ the flat side against the transponder to separate the transponder from the plastic, once one side is separated, it comes out very easily.
replace JDM transponder w/ USDM transponder, I didn't glue mine in, because I wanted to make sure it worked o.k.
at this point, put it back together to double check that the transponder is working in your ignition before you do any gluing.
I had no problems.

I hope this helps any of you people out there doing the swap; as for programming the remote, it programs the same way as the USDM remote, in fact, I had the remote programmed before the key.
here is a link on EvoM's how to section:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=104792

Thank's to member AUSS1E for that write up, and to member antics22 for the confirmation that this could be done.

One more note: Apology for the pics being a little on the blurry side, My camera was not charged, and I had to use my phone.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discuss thread HERE!