Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Change Tranny Fluid HUGE DIFFERENCE with REDLINE

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change Tranny Fluid HUGE DIFFERENCE with REDLINE

So I changed my fluids today, last time I used Mitsu tranny fluid and was never really happy with how it felt, so I tried the fluid that I have always used in my STi tranny, Redline Lightweight Shockproof. Huge difference! Every gear glides into the next gear, like cutting though soften butter. I would recommend this to anyone that enjoys a super smooth shift. Oh, and for those that will say, "Mitsu says that we should only use Mitsu tranny oil," you can keep running that crap. Seriously I notice a little difference in my STi when I switched but not like the difference with the Evo.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

isn't that stuff intended for race car trannys..? pretty sure they DON'T recommend that for synchros... but i have HORRIBLE grind at 3k+RPMS from 1->2 and 2->3 so i'm looking into doing something... dealership giving me the runaround. may need to look into this stuff.

Last edited by holler mcdollar; Nov 7, 2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by holler mcdollar
isn't that stuff intended for race car trannys..? pretty sure they DON'T recommend that for synchros... but i have HORRIBLE grind at 3k+RPMS from 1->2 and 2->3 so i'm looking into doing something... dealership giving me the runaround. may need to look into this stuff.
You should defineately try it, as my tranny was also bit notchy with the stock fluid. The other stuff to try is Synchromesh, great for grinding trannys. Redline is intended for synchros and all tranny types. I've used it for over 100k+ on many of my cars.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

lightweight shock proof is definetly not recommened for stock trannys. Most people use the MT-90. Remember just because it shifts smoother doesn't neccessarily mean it's better. Some fluids will cuz smoother shifting but at the same time they are murdering your synchros.

03 evos might not be as touchy because it has a closed LSD
Old Nov 8, 2007, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by holler mcdollar
I think you need to have your synchros replaced.

I had that same issue. Got my tranny rebuilt by the dealer under warrantee both times.

I have had this issue twice within the last two years.

First time I was running stock fluids, 2nd time I was running Royal Purple.

I am now running stock fuilds but I have adjusted my clutch pedal but I am thinking about going with amsoil fuilds everywhere (ie. oil, tranny, tc, and rear diff).
Old Nov 8, 2007, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

ill be honest in saying my evos never gotten to the mileage when it needed tranny fluid change but from my own research.....

the initial smooth feel does not imply a better tranny fluid. lighter fluids will by the nature of its viscosity give a smoother feel compared to a thicker synthetic fluid but it does not imply better protection to the gears.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

The 5 spd recommended fluid is 75W-90 or 75W-85 GL-4

The 6 spd recommended fluid is 75W or 85W GL-4 ..do not confuse these with a fluid that is rated 75 or 85 the W is necessary..

Also, with the Spec of GL-4, DO NOT assume that GL-5 supercedes this rating, it MUST carry the GL-4 rating..

The Recommended Tranny Fluid from AMSOIL is MTG....

If anyone is interested, I sell AMSOIL @ the Lowest Price to all EvoM Members...

Doc
Old Nov 14, 2007, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

so the severe gear can't work in the tranny then
Old Nov 14, 2007, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Not that it can't... The MTG is the "proper" Product Specifically designed for the Synchromesh Tranny...

What we have seen is that your shifts, especially 1-2 may be a little "stiff".. but as long as you don't blow a shift, there should be no problems.. It may cost you a little time on the track due to that slower shift and possibly a little more viscous friction.

Doc
Old Nov 14, 2007, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

why do i have this hunch user "AWDsub" will be coming back here in 6-12 month complaining "strange noise" coming from his tranny lol
Old Nov 14, 2007, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

AMS says use it, I use it. REDLINE FTMFW
Old Nov 14, 2007, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are going to Use Redline in a stock tranny I must recommend the MT-90 because it is synchro safe yet it will stand up to track events
Old Nov 14, 2007, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mifesto
why do i have this hunch user "AWDsub" will be coming back here in 6-12 month complaining "strange noise" coming from his tranny lol
I doubt it but if it does it would of broke anyway and a call to Shep will be in order.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AWDsub
So I changed my fluids today, last time I used Mitsu tranny fluid and was never really happy with how it felt, so I tried the fluid that I have always used in my STi tranny, Redline Lightweight Shockproof. Huge difference! Every gear glides into the next gear, like cutting though soften butter. I would recommend this to anyone that enjoys a super smooth shift. Oh, and for those that will say, "Mitsu says that we should only use Mitsu tranny oil," you can keep running that crap. Seriously I notice a little difference in my STi when I switched but not like the difference with the Evo.
Awesome, glad it worked out for you. I always recommend Redline products.

Here is what I use for my car:

Motor: 5 quarts Redline Full Synthetic 10W30
Tranny: 3 quarts Redline Light Weight Shockproof
Rear Diff: 1 quart Redline Heavy Shockproof w/1.0 ounce of Redline LSD Additive
Transfer Case: 1 quart Redline Heavy Shockproof

The drivetrain feels really smooth and it eliminated a lot of decel noise and other misc drivetrain noise.

You hear of Redline horror stories because people use the wrong fluids in the wrong places. I've used Redline since the day I got my car with no problems.

Radiator Flush:

Engine Coolant Capacity: 6.3qt & 0.69qt in reserve tank = 6.99qts
1 quart = 0.25 gal

1 bottle Water Wetter (12 oz) = 0.375 quarts
1 quart 100% Antifreeze.
5.62 quarts Distilled Water (1.40gal)

Total= 6.99 quarts

Old Nov 14, 2007, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

ok cool
but the severe gear is rated at gl5 and is supposed to be a no no for the tranny as it requires gl4
i am just looking for info, not meaning to be a pest
thanks

for the folks using redline, full mt-90 vs the power pack mix of 2qts mtl and 1 qt of mt-90
discuss

Quick Reply: Change Tranny Fluid HUGE DIFFERENCE with REDLINE