Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

HOW TO: $7.32 Boost Leak Detector

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2007, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HOW TO: $7.32 Boost Leak Detector

1. Run to your handy hardware store (Grainger, Home Depot, Lowes), etc. and pick up a 3" to 2" rubber reducer from the plumbing section.

2. Go get a 2" PVC pipe plug/end

3. Go get a tire valve stem, can be found at Auto Zone, Murrays, Sears etc.(Home Depot may not have it, mine didn't)

4. Drill a hole in the end of the PVC cap, then stick the valve stem up from the inside out.

5. Stick the PVC cap w/valve stem in the 2" side of the rubber reducer, tighten hose clamp.

6. Remove your intake hose and attach the 3" side to the turbo, tighten hose clamp

7. I regulated my air compressor to about 3psi so I don't put too much air in the system. Now you can charge your system with the same attachment the you use to fill your tires with

I only needed 3psi to find my leak that is on the throttle body

Pics are right before I changed the PVC cap from the green hose to the tire valve stem. Use your imagination

Last edited by w8lifter21; Nov 12, 2007 at 07:09 AM. Reason: More info
Old Nov 12, 2007, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm gonna make 1 myself =) good write up
Old Nov 13, 2007, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem I have with those stupid rubber reducers is that they say 2" or 3" or whatever, and when I measure it, it's always at least half an inch wider. Example I purchased a 2" to 3" and the 3" side was 3.5" wtf. It took me way too long to piece together the proper rubber/pvc pieces. Stupid rubber couplers. Anyways I'm just venting, good write-up, you can also add a gauge to the tester so you don't have to rely on your compressor for a reading. Oh you may also be able to just get a rubber end cap and use that instead of reducer/pvc end cap.

Edit: The inlet on our turbos is really 3"? I would have thought it was smaller

Last edited by cs82685; Nov 13, 2007 at 05:42 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cs82685
The problem I have with those stupid rubber reducers is that they say 2" or 3" or whatever, and when I measure it, it's always at least half an inch wider. Example I purchased a 2" to 3" and the 3" side was 3.5" wtf. It took me way too long to piece together the proper rubber/pvc pieces. Stupid rubber couplers. Anyways I'm just venting, good write-up, you can also add a gauge to the tester so you don't have to rely on your compressor for a reading. Oh you may also be able to just get a rubber end cap and use that instead of reducer/pvc end cap.

Edit: The inlet on our turbos is really 3"? I would have thought it was smaller
I have run into the same problem quite a few times. This is the 3rd one I have made for a car, I used Fernco products and everything fits snug.

I think the outside diameter of the turbo is a little bigger than 3", but the coupler slips over the outlet with a little umph