Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to remove Evo 9 Front Emblem

Old Jan 12, 2008, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How to remove Evo 9 Front Emblem

I couldnt find this anywhere so here it goes.

How to remove the front emblem (evo 9)

Okay, first you need to remove your bumper, this can be found in 1000 other places on the evolutionm forums. Just look at the intercooler installs. Once the undertray and front bumper is off....

Remove the one bolt holding the diamonds to the mesh, its on the backside and looks brass colored typically.

Next lift the emblem up a little and pull it off the hooks.

Now the emblem is off, BUT theres that horrible bracket, so here is what you do...

Use painters tape to tape off the paint on on your bumper. (seriously) Tape everywhere sparks may hit from the emblem area.

Use a dremmel tool and curring disc to cut the top of the bracket from the bumper. Cut from the inside perpendicular to the ground if the bumper is on the ground. CAREFUL! dont hit the mesh.

Now repeat the same for the bottom bracket.

Now you have the bracket hanging by 2 points to the mesh. If you look closely there are 2 intersections of the mesh that are welded to the bracket. Cut just outside of the weld on each of these points. It should take 4 cuts for each point, and try to minimize damage to the mesh. The bracket will fall off.

Now bend the remaining part of the top of the bracket still attacked to the bumper down with pliers and cut it off.

Ground down both of the edges.

Use flat black paint (I used engine enamel) and a small brush and carefully dab paint where the metal was cut on the bracket and the mesh. When the metal is cut it turns silver, this will hide that.

Let dry.......

Install bumper and undertray and call it a day..

The way mentioned above will leave small un-noticable holes in the mesh. You can alternatively order new mesh for the intercooler hole cut it to fit the emblem area. I have the part on order and will write up once I get it and install.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good job, add some pics too.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

interesting yea post some pics wanna see this
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Im sorry I didnt take any pics while doing it. Once the bumper is off, it is very clear what you have to do. Cut the brace at the top and bottom. Then cut around the points where it connects to the mesh. Trust me, there are only 2 points where it connects to the mesh. It looks like more, but only two. The obvious ones. Ill take a pic of the end result real fast.....brb
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

okay here is the finished product. Dont mind the painters tape. Im letting a badge that I JB welded cure.

Here is the holes. The red is where I cut the X points. The green is where there is already factory holes... Im going to see if the IC grill fits and redo it. The new badge will come off with some cutting, no big deal.

Oh yeah, see that stub of a bracket at the bottom of the 2nd pic.? Thats the bracket base grinded down and painted after cutting.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 03:32 AM
Evolving Member

Very well done. Great job! I was thinking today of taking off my from emblem on my 9 but wasn't sure. I wanted to see what the red emblem would look like on my Apex Silver.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 03:57 AM

yeah, u should definitely order a new mesh and do it right, dont just leave the holes there. when u change the appearance of the car, u want people to notice it. so if u leave it as is and someone notices ur badge is gone and get a closer look, they will see the holes and think "oh thats a crappy job."

IMO it looks better with the badge on
Old Jan 13, 2008, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

It was just a how-to because I couldnt find one myself. I personally like the look without much better than with (only on 9's) but I moved the MR badge to the front offset to the drivers side and I like how that looks.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Just wanted to double check, but to remove just the emblem itself and not the bracket does the front bumper need to be removed? Cuz i just wanna remove the diamond star and paint it.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 09:30 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by asianfury01
yeah, u should definitely order a new mesh and do it right, dont just leave the holes there. when u change the appearance of the car, u want people to notice it. so if u leave it as is and someone notices ur badge is gone and get a closer look, they will see the holes and think "oh thats a crappy job."

IMO it looks better with the badge on
That's what he's going to do SPANKY.....don't understand why some people love to **** on another's parade.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsumanny
Just wanted to double check, but to remove just the emblem itself and not the bracket does the front bumper need to be removed? Cuz i just wanna remove the diamond star and paint it.

You can pull the pop rivets holding the bumper to the front frame, and the 2 bolts. Then if your small enough fit your hand down in the opening where the hood latch sits and get a short stubby phillips to remove the screw. Then the emblem just lifts off for you to paint.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just sent this to a friend of mine who was trying to do the same thing. Thanks for the thread.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Did this earlier this morning. Looks much better!

Name:  DSC00093Small.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  47.1 KB

Name:  DSC00095Small.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  44.4 KB
Old Dec 17, 2008, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

The evo without the emblem up front looks like a big gaping hole or something is missing.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

The car looks good, Julius!