Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

HOW TO: Buschur Racing catch can.

Old Dec 5, 2008, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOW TO: Buschur Racing catch can.

Ok, this is my first HOW TO write up, so please bare with me. I will try to get the pix up when I can.

This is a HOW TO for installing the Buschur Racing catch can, with a slight change verses the way it is described on Buschur's website. The catch can can be found here: https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...fc1fed9f6d1cd3
And the retension spring here:https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...fc1fed9f6d1cd3

***EDIT*** Looking at the can's mounting flange, it does appear that it got twisted just slightly. This should fix my clearance issue. Also, as of now, Buschur has the O-ring for the tube instock and being shipped with each kit.

Tools Needed:
10mm wrench
1/4 in socket
10mm socket
12mm socket
rachet for above sockets
medium flat head screw driver
medium pry bar
small hammer
razor blade knife
small plyers (I didnt need these for my clamps, removed by hand)
1 shop rag
shop light or flash light

Parts Needed: (*marked items I sourced and will be listed as "sourced" in write up.)

Buschur Racing catch can
Buschur replacement dipstick tube
2 sizes of vac hose (came with can)
press in aluminum vac nipple
k&N mini filter (with filter fluid and 1 clamp)
*8 small hose clamps (mine had 1/4in screws for tightening)
*2ft of 1/4in vac hose
*6in of 3/8 vac hose (or fuel line either will work)
*2 O-rings for dipstick
*1 O-ring for dipstick tube
*1 tube of silicone, I used the copper stuff
*1 bolt. what ever size to cap off 3/8 vac hose.

Once you have aquired all these parts, we can begin with the disassembly.

DISASSEMBLY:

Step 1: Using the 10mm socket, remove both 10mm bolts holding the fuel pressure solenoid on to the side of the intake manifold. Disconnect the wire connector. (I completely removed, vac lines and all.) Set the solenoid aside for later, discard the 2 bolts.

Step 2: Locate the 2 relays on the fire wall, they are to the right of the ABS pump, just to the left of the intake manifold. Using the 10mm socket (or the wrench if you cant get the socket in place) to remove the 2 10mm bolts for the relays. The relays will not move, set aside the 2 bolts for later use.

Step 3: Locate the the mounting bolt for the oil dipstick tube. Aprox. 2in from top of tube. Remove the 12mm bolt with the 12mm socket. Set bolt aside for reuse.

Step 4: Once the bolt in Step 3 has been removed, remove the oil dipstick. To do so, twist in a clockwise direction the tube 70-90 degrees. Then pull vertically until it is removed. (If it does not come right out, twist counterclock wise and clock wise while pulling it up.) Set dipstick aside, and discard oil dipstick tube.

Step 5: Locate the PCV valve. Follow vac hose from valve to intake manifold. Use the small plyers (I only had to use my fingers) and remove the clamp at that location and the 1 at the PCV valve as well. Remove this vac hose and set aside for reuse.

Step 6: On the right front of the valve cover there is a vac port. Remove the line from that port. NOTE: If the line is routed back into the preturbo intake pipe, you MUST plug that hole in the preturbo pipe. If you have a small filter on this port, remove the filter and discard.

Step 7: Locate the PCV valve again. Using the shop rag, fold several times. Place rag between the valve cover and the PCV valve. Using the medium pry bar, pry against the PCV valve using the valve cover as leverage. (the rag must be between the pry bar and the valve cover) Once the valve starts to come out, it wil twist upward, use your hand to hold in place.

Step 8: Once the valve is out, there will be a small aluminum adapter left inside the valve cover. Using the medium flat head screw driver as a wedge, NOT as a pry bar, remove the adapter. Put the side face of the flat head against the side of the valve cover, then slide until it makes contact with the adapter, off center of the adapter. (There will be a small lip, the screw driver should be between the lip and the valve cover.) Once contact is made, use the small hammer to tap the screw driver. The adapter should start to come out slowly. Alternate sides that you tap on. Discard both the PCV valve and the adapter.

INSTALLATION:

Step 9: Remove the supplied K&N filter. Locate the filter fluid. Follow directions for oiling the filter. Set filter and fluid aside for future use.

Step 10: Locate the supplied dipstick tube. Using the sourced O-ring, install on to bottom of tube. (I also applied a very small amount of copper silicone to the very bottom portion of tube arround the O-ring)

Step 11: You will need the shop/flash light. Carefully, install the supplied dipstick tube into the block. DO NOT pinch the O-ring. You will have to twist and push downward on the tube to get it to go in. It will require much more force that when you removed it.

Step 12: Once the tube is in place, twist it until the mounting tap is in the proper place against the intake manifold. Reusing the bolt that was set aside in Step 3, bolt tube into place tightly.

Step 13: Locate the supplied aluminum press in vac nipple. (I applied a very small amound of copper silicone arround the press in portion of the nipple) Place the press in part of the nipple in the hole left by the aluminum adapter from Step 8. Use the small hammer to GENTLY tap the nipple into place. Make sure it is flush.

Step 14: Locate the larger of the 2 supplied vac hose. Using 1 of the small sourced hose clamps, install this vac hose to the bottom port of the Buschur catch can. (Top of can is where the mounting tap is welded on.) This hose will connect to the new supplied dipstick tube.

Step 15: Test fit the can with hose into place. The can's mounting tap should be mounted into place using the left relay's mounting bolt from Step 2.

Step 16: Once the can is in place, measure and mark the vac hose to connect to the new supplied dipstick tube. Leave enough length on the hose for a full contact and for engine movement. (I just held the hose with my fingers, then cut)

Step 17: Remove the catch can. Using the razor blade knife, cut the hose.

Step 18: Using a source hose clamp, install onto hose on bottom port of the can. Reinstall the can in the same location as in Step 15. Besure to connect the vac hose onto the new supplied dipstick tube. Slide the source hose clamp into place and tighten. (You should now have 2 hose clamps on this vac hose. 1 securing the hose to the bottom of the can, 1 securing the other end onto the dipstick tube)

Step 19: Using the sourced 3/8 vac hose, install 2 sourced hose clamp. Secure 1 end of the vac hose to the bottom port of the catch can, then secure the other end to the aluminum nipple that was installed in Step 13.

Step 20: Locate the small factory vac hose removed from the PCV valve in Step 5. Using the razor blade knife, cut this hose into a straight length of 2.5 inches. Use the source bolt and slide into the vac hose. Locate the 2 clamps from Step 5 and reinstall onto the vac hose, 1 onto the bolt, the other slide onto the other end of the hose.

Step 21: Reinstall the bolt and vac hose from Step 20 into the port on the intake manifold. Same port from Step 5. This should cap off the vac/boost leak we created.

Step 22: Locate the supplied vac line. Should be the only line left of the 2 sent from Buschur. Install 2 sourced hose clamps, 1 to either end of the hose. Secure 1 end of this hose to the top side port of the catch can, the secure the other end of the hose to the right front port of the valve cover, same port from Step 6.

Step 23: Locate the fuel pressure solenoid. Mount the solenoid onto the mounting point of the relay on the right of the catch can. Use the other bolt set aside from Step 2. The relay should side horizontally, the port of the solenoid that connects to the intake manifold should be on the left and the port with the filter looking part should be on the right.

Step 24: Using the sourced 1/4in vac line, connect the intake manifold port to the fuel pressure solenoid's left port. Route the line in a way that there are no kinks or where the hose will be pinched. Cut the hose. Using the remaining hose, connect the fuel pressure regulator to the fuel pressure solenoid's right port. Reconnect the wire connector.

Step 25: Locate the K&N filter. Inspect the filter to make sure the fluid has seeped into all parts. (no white filter showing) Then install the filter, using the hose clamp from the package, onto the top most port of the catch can.

Step 26: Locate the factory dipstick that was set aside in Step 4. Reinstall into new dipstick tube. Reinstall either zip strip or retaining spring for dipstick.

Step 27: Remove all tools and items from under the hood.Start vehicle and check for any vac leaks.

Now some of my install differs from Buschur's. I just felt more comfortable with more hose clamps and mounting the solenoid differently. I also ran into a clearance issue with the catch can. It is against 1 of my brake lines that comes out of the ABS pump. I believe if the mounting tab on the can was to be moved to the left, off center by about 1/4-1/2 inch, the clearance on the brake line with be fixed. Also the catch can kit didn't come with a new O-ring for the dipstick tube. Also it is still unclear as to what I am suppose to do with the port on the intake manifold, I assumed I blocked it off. None of the issues I ran into are big and all were easily over came.

Here is the picture of the ABS line and the can.

Last edited by sabastian458; Dec 8, 2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:31 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Discuss thread HERE!

Last edited by chaotichoax; Dec 11, 2008 at 12:34 PM.