Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Evo 8/9 Aftermarker Steering Wheel Install

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2009, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8/9 Aftermarker Steering Wheel Install

When I was getting ready to install my steering wheel I really couldn't find anything on forums that covered it. It is really an easy install, just wanted to post it up so there is a good write up on it

I am installing a Vertex Anniversery steering wheel using an NRG short hub part number 101H.

Disclaimer: Removing your airbag could cause serious injury or death if involved in front end collision. This is for racing/ off-road use only.

Start by removing the negative terminal from the battary. This will help protect from the airbag deploying while you are disconecting it.
Name:  s1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  92.9 KB

Remove the small cover located on the bottom right side of the steering wheel.
Name:  s2.jpg
Size:  76.3 KB

Disconnect the airbag connector and the horn connector from the steering wheel. Just push in the tabs on the plugs and pull them loose.
Name:  s3.jpg
Size:  67.0 KB

Using an 8mm allen wrench, remove the bolt holding the steering wheel to the column. It is located on the bottom left side of the wheel at the 8 o'clock position. There is no need to pull the two bolts holding the airbag in the wheel on left and right 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions. You can just leave the airbag in to protect it.
Name:  s4.jpg
Size:  67.0 KB

You can now pull the steering wheel off the column exposing the clock spring.
Name:  s5.jpg
Size:  123.8 KB

Take the time now to remove anything from the top and bottom of the steering column ie: gauges, turbo timers, etc.
Name:  s6.jpg
Size:  81.8 KB

Romove the three bolts from the bottom of the column cover next to the tilt lever.
Name:  s7.jpg
Size:  39.7 KB

Romove the upper and lower column covers. This will expose the two small phillips screws holding the clock spring in.
Name:  s8.jpg
Size:  77.4 KB

On the bottom of the clock spring, pull down the green safety tab on the airbag connector and disconnect it along with the horn connector.
Name:  s11.jpg
Size:  60.7 KB

You can now pull the clock spring off the column. Be careful not to break the plastic tabs holding it in.
Name:  s12.jpg
Size:  82.3 KB

Now we have to deal with the airbag connector because just leaving it unplugged will cause the SRS light to stay on the car.
Name:  s13.jpg
Size:  50.9 KB

It is a easy fix using the little harness provided by NRG. If you don't have one, just splice two short wires with a 2 amp fuse and connect them to the airbag plug. Polarity does not matter.
Name:  s14.jpg
Size:  55.0 KB
Name:  s15.jpg
Size:  32.8 KB
Name:  s16.jpg
Size:  54.1 KB

As for the horn, I just used a wire splice with about a six inch peice of wire to connect to the horn. You want enough slack so it won't bind up when you turn.
Name:  s19.jpg
Size:  58.7 KB

Now you can attach the upper and lower cover back on the column. Make sure you feed the horn wire through.
Name:  s20.jpg
Size:  72.0 KB

Remove the six 4mm allen screws from the outside of the hub.
Name:  s22.jpg
Size:  79.0 KB

Loosen and remove the two 8mm bolts frpm the spline of the hub. These bolts will pass through the indentions in the column shaft so the have to taken out.
Name:  s23.jpg
Size:  61.9 KB

Slide the hub onto the splines and tighten the 8mm hex bolts. Make sure these are tight so the steering wheel won't slip.
Name:  s25.jpg
Size:  64.8 KB

Attach the outer portion of the short hub with 4mm hex bolts.
Name:  s26.jpg
Size:  74.9 KB

Plug up and attach your horn button.
Name:  s27.jpg
Size:  63.1 KB

......and your all done.
Name:  s28.jpg
Size:  89.1 KB

You can put a quick release in between the hub and steering wheel. It bolts in strait forward. This Vertex is JDM hotness but it is kinda deep (and I do like em deep) and a quick release would put it to close to the driver. Plus I don't want to be that guy walking around a local meet holding my steering wheel!
Old Jul 19, 2009, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
nice write up. Wheel is not my cup of tea.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 05:32 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Disclaimer: Removing your airbag could cause serious injury or death if involved in front end collision. This is for racing/ off-road use only.
LOL, I don't think off road or race use makes it any better!

But excellent write up, might I add!
Old Jul 20, 2009, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jp7
LOL, I don't think off road or race use makes it any better!

But excellent write up, might I add!
Yeah, I guess getting in a collision off road or not doesnt really matter. I think it would suck either way. lol
Old Aug 9, 2009, 05:21 AM
Evolving Member

does any body know what part number is for a MOMO hub that will fit the GSR CT9A Evo, ie Evo 7, 8 and 9 with the side screw fixing.

i bought a Momo Steering Wheel and the momo hub part No. 6116 which was advertise to fit the evo 8..but it didnt.

some one advised that the correct model from Momo is No. 6106...

i am not sure, and will appriciate if some body can confirm.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:44 AM

Location: Killeen, Tx via Fayetteville, NC via Worthington, OH
Originally Posted by fbikawi
does any body know what part number is for a MOMO hub that will fit the GSR CT9A Evo, ie Evo 7, 8 and 9 with the side screw fixing.

i bought a Momo Steering Wheel and the momo hub part No. 6116 which was advertise to fit the evo 8..but it didnt.

some one advised that the correct model from Momo is No. 6106...

i am not sure, and will appriciate if some body can confirm.
Yeah, I got bit buying the 6116 as well. It will fit the X but not the 8. Still haven't figured out which one fits ours, but I found this:

http://www.momousa.com/products/prod...ishi-hubs.html
Old Nov 1, 2009, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

So do you know what kind of hub is perfect for MOMO millenium steering wheel? Can I get the long hub? Will still work? Thanks!
Old Nov 1, 2009, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jimevo9PI
So do you know what kind of hub is perfect for MOMO millenium steering wheel? Can I get the long hub? Will still work? Thanks!
Any hub that is specific for the Evo will work (NRG/Momo/Works Bell/Splash). Are you planning to do a quick release system on the wheel? If you do, you can either one of these:

1. short hub + regular quick release.

Or

2. regular hub + short/thin quick release.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NLIevo8
Yeah, I guess getting in a collision off road or not doesnt really matter. I think it would suck either way. lol
I realize this is an old post, but for clarification, your airbag can cause severe injury or even death if it deploys while you are wearing a helmet.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 07:44 PM
up

This is a great write up! Thanks.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SRS light bypass

Can anyone confirm that using a 2 amp fuse and connecting it to the airbag plug will actually work to bypass the SRS light?

I'm about to install a hub & new wheel and there is not much info out there on bypassing the SRS light.

Any help appreciated! Nice write-up too!
Old Jun 11, 2010, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

great write up, whered you get ur A/C hvac reloaction? i wanna buy one
Old Jun 23, 2010, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mchristian
Can anyone confirm that using a 2 amp fuse and connecting it to the airbag plug will actually work to bypass the SRS light?

I'm about to install a hub & new wheel and there is not much info out there on bypassing the SRS light.

Any help appreciated! Nice write-up too!

Anyone???????

Just need to know if the 2 amp fuse works to bypass the SRS light??? I can not find any additional info on this by searching...

Thanks
Old Jun 23, 2010, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

I tried the 2 amp fuse and was very careful with everything... soldiered all the connections etc....THE 2 AMP FUSE TRICK DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!

Now I've gotta figure out how to get the SRS light off and find a workable solution.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you look closely there is a resistor in line with the fuse in the picture of the NRG bypass...

Quick Reply: Evo 8/9 Aftermarker Steering Wheel Install