Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to reinitialize a sunroof

Old Apr 2, 2010, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to reinitialize a sunroof

This is for the guys that have fixed the sunroof to find it only closing one inch at a time.
SUNROOF INITIALIZATION (LEARNING MODE)
a. Press the sunroof OPEN switch, and continue to press this switch until the sunroof is in the fully-open position.

b. Pressing the sunroof CLOSE switch will move the sunroof approximately 30 mm (1.2 in) toward the closed position before stopping automatically. Repeatedly press the sunroof CLOSE switch until the sunroof is in the fully-closed position.

c. Press the sunroof CLOSE switch until the sunroof is in the full tilt-up position.

d. With the sunroof glass in the full tilt-up position, depress the sunroof CLOSE switch for about 3 seconds until a clicking sound is heard from the sunroof ECU.

e. Continue to depress the sunroof CLOSE switch and move the sunroof glass lid to the full tilt-down position.

f. Depress the sunroof OPEN switch once to slide the sunroof to the fully open position.

g. Press the sunroof CLOSE switch to make sure the sunroof glass closes normally.

NOTE: During initialization, the sunroof will only close with the CLOSE switch if the glass is in the fully closed through full tilt-up positions. If the sunroof tilt-up switch is depressed during initialization, the roof glass will not move to the tilt-up position.

NOTE: After initialization (learning mode), check to ensure that the sunroof operates properly. If the sunroof does not operate properly do the initialization steps again. If the sunroof still does not operate, further diagnosis of the motor/ECU assembly and related circuitry is needed. Refer the the service manual and TSB-02-54-001 to diagnose and repair the sunroof motor circuit.

Old Apr 2, 2010, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Life saver....will do this on my lunch break. Thanks.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Did this work for you Green Meanie?
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Its confirmed. It works
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I see this is in the Evo 1-9 How-to's, but which car is it for?

Last edited by Bobster22388; Apr 3, 2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

For Evo 7-9 and lancers years 02-07. They all used the same motor and sunroof setup. It also applies to Volkwagon's with a sunroof from 99 to 06. I am not to sure on the exo x as I have not personally been in one with a sunroof. Same thing applies for any lancer above the year 07'. Have yet to sit in one with a sunroof. So pretty much the 7g series of Evo's and Lancers.

Last edited by Jogenmaru; Apr 4, 2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 07:42 AM

Lol technically I found it for a montero(in a repair guide) when I was searching google. I figured what the hell its a mitsu, and it'll take like 2 mins to try. It work for me so I posted it lol.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

whats this for? The sun roof only opening 1.2 inches at a time? Iv never experienced this.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 11:04 AM

na it only closed one inch at a time. It can happen after you fix your sunroof motor. Alot of people have the problem of it getting stuck, and having to replace the screws or motor.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 03:58 AM
Evolved Member

Not quite. LOL. it worked but now my sunroof does this weird thing were it almost closes then goes back open......then I try to close it again and it closes.........SO WEIRD. I'm going to try and get it back into init mode and try this all over again.......I'm closer now then I was before.

Thanks again. I'm pretty sure there is some user error in this as well.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

This fixed my issue . . .you are incredible!!!!
Old Apr 10, 2010, 08:13 AM

I've been driving around for two months just inching my sunroof shut, thanx for the write up it worked perfectly
Old May 14, 2010, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

This is golden procedure, stick it, I've been fighting this problem for the past 3 years. I was about to take the whole liner out and replace the motor/ECU assembly.

You can add one more step. To remove the key from the ignition, and then put it back in to test it out. I had to repeat this procedure 3 times, to find out that removing the key resets the computer. After that, voila, few bucks in my pocket.
Old May 16, 2010, 07:35 AM

great write up! i recently replaced my sunroof motor and it wouldnt close now it works perfect
Old May 19, 2010, 08:47 AM

Brilliant! Now I can actually use my sunroof properly! Cheers!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to reinitialize a sunroof