Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

HVAC Repair - MEGA Guide

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
the big thing into that is that you have to purge A/C gas. This is what cause the things unDIYable
This really annoy me, especially with the weather here
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by domyz
the big thing into that is that you have to purge A/C gas. This is what cause the things unDIYable
This really annoy me, especially with the weather here
Is there any detailed step-by-step procedure on how to do that? I cannot believe stupid knob design requires taking half of a car apart...
Old Dec 18, 2010, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by rayman0690
My fault. I will add this image into the post when I get the chance.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...m-dsc01545.jpg

(I just included the link so the image wouldn't take up the post space here.)

On the left are the revised gears and on the right are the stock ones. Hope that helps!
I just checked on my car. I definitely have the revised gears, but its still got a sticking point to it. Right when going through the 90 degree part of the connection between the arms. If I spin it fast it gets past that point alright but I feel like I may break it.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 07:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
O_o

Last edited by LV///R; Apr 11, 2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 05:19 PM

Hey guys,
Do you know the size of the screws that secure the air filter? I didn't have a filter in my car, so I had to cut the black rectangular part out and install a new one. However, I cannot secure the filter properly - using duct tape as a temporary solution. What is the thread and what length screws should I get?
Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Hey guys. I have the new gears but it was still hard to turn. Then yesterday while I was doing other stuff I decided to try out someone's advice (read it somewhere on this board) and loosen the screw behind the temp control knob. It worked! Then thing is much smoother to turn now. Theres still some stick but its entirely liveable. Now I'm not afraid to let other people touch my temp knob . I loosened my screw about a full turn from tight but I didn't spend anymore than 5mins figuring out how much to loosen it.
The following users liked this post:
03_OZRally (Nov 22, 2020)
Old Jan 10, 2011, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So glad I found this thread. There's two inches of snow outside right now with no heat in my car. Great thread. But it only makes me sick to my stomach thinking I may have to remove most of the interior to fix this problem ugh. That's mitsubishi for ya tho. Only plus if I have to is I might decide to finally just gut the car for weight savings lol.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

For anyone else with this problem if ur blend door is getting stuck I got under my dash and forced it open and closed by moving the gears manually it got easier and easier to move. I also just installed the cabin filter and ordered the revised gears. I found another problem with my cars heat. The idiot before me that owned my evo zip tied a vacuum line for the boost gauge to the hheater knob wire and had duct tape around it? This over time caused the wire to bend so I ordered a new one of those. I think I caught my problem right before the blend door became too gunked up to move.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 02:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
Nevermind...

Last edited by LV///R; Apr 9, 2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:17 PM

Anyone in central FL that can help me fix this issue?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:58 AM

thanks a lot for this write-up.

I just changed the wire and gears but the knob is still very hard to turn. I'm thinking this might be because of the blend door kit?

Also, what would cause the ac to not work because of this? Even if i turn the gears manually, I can't get the car to start the a/c?

thanks in advance,

Marc
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rennes
thanks a lot for this write-up.

I just changed the wire and gears but the knob is still very hard to turn. I'm thinking this might be because of the blend door kit?

Also, what would cause the ac to not work because of this? Even if i turn the gears manually, I can't get the car to start the a/c?

thanks in advance,

Marc
If you changed the gears and wires, the only thing left is the blend door. That was my issue (well the root cause) -- so that's your problem if the knob is still difficult to turn.

This particular issue and the blend door wouldn't cause your A/C to not work all together. (It COULD but if you can open and hear the door move manually, by forcing the gears to move, then that isn't your issue.) You might have some other problem with the HVAC ECU (control unit that the knobs attach to) not turning on your A/C or it could be an issue with your A/C lines in the engine bay. I would get that checked first before you tear down the dash.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by rayman0690
If you changed the gears and wires, the only thing left is the blend door. That was my issue (well the root cause) -- so that's your problem if the knob is still difficult to turn.

This particular issue and the blend door wouldn't cause your A/C to not work all together. (It COULD but if you can open and hear the door move manually, by forcing the gears to move, then that isn't your issue.) You might have some other problem with the HVAC ECU (control unit that the knobs attach to) not turning on your A/C or it could be an issue with your A/C lines in the engine bay. I would get that checked first before you tear down the dash.
Yup, it seems that the fans are running but the air coming out is just cold, not icy cold air

I think I'll tear down the dash just so that I can go and clean up the blending door. I'll do a full write-up of it as well I must say.

Gracias again
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by rennes
Yup, it seems that the fans are running but the air coming out is just cold, not icy cold air

I think I'll tear down the dash just so that I can go and clean up the blending door. I'll do a full write-up of it as well I must say.

Gracias again
I have the revised gears on my IX so mine definitely has the stuck blending door. I'm lucky mine is stuck on cold for the summer here in FL but before winter comes I will need to fix this. I am looking forward to your full write up RENNES! I will be attemping this in the next month or so. Hopefully you can have pics as well. Dealership quoted over $2K for this!

Last edited by stevenkha; Jul 26, 2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

I have revised gears and got the new cables, but mine is still stuck. Im puttin this off, its not that hard to run your hand under there and force the gears

Quick Reply: HVAC Repair - MEGA Guide