Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

how to adjust headlight leveling?

Old May 16, 2010, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to adjust headlight leveling?

does anyone know how to manually adjust MR headlamps low beams? i bought a set of MR headlamps for my gsr, and the right side lowbeam is VERY low compared to the left side. how do i adjust the leveling so that they are even?? thanks
Old May 16, 2010, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to get a screwdriver into the opening for the adjustment (located just next to where the bulb inserts) and manually turn the adjustment screw. In order to do this, you need to get past the dust cover blocking the hole where you would insert the screwdriver.

Basically, youll need to take your front bumper off, disconnect the headlights, remove them, remove the dust cover on the adjustment hole, and then start turning the adjustment screw. You may also have to disconnect the linkage from the lowbeam to hibeam, I did this because the gears were siezed up from crud.

It really is a huge PITA to aim these headlights. There is a writeup on here, theres a few actually. Its easy to do once you realize what you have to do.
Old May 16, 2010, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Also, make sure your turning the right bolt/screw. There are a couple back there.
Old May 16, 2010, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

I did mine like 2 weeks ago. No need to take off the bumper. There's a spring loaded cable connecting your HID's to your high beams. When level switch is adjusted the high beams also adjust. Take off 2 screws for each cable then turn it with your hand near the high beam bulbs. Took me 5 minutes for each side. Of course this is for my '03 gsr stock HID's, it should be the same for your MR.
Old May 16, 2010, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You dont need to take the bumper off unless your gears are siezed up/you can get past the dust shield over the opening, because then you have to remove the headlights to disconnect the link to the hibeam and lowbeam.
Old May 17, 2010, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

trying to do these but no clue what are you trying to say. could you take some pictures of what screws should i touch?
Old May 17, 2010, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whoang40
I did mine like 2 weeks ago. No need to take off the bumper. There's a spring loaded cable connecting your HID's to your high beams. When level switch is adjusted the high beams also adjust. Take off 2 screws for each cable then turn it with your hand near the high beam bulbs. Took me 5 minutes for each side. Of course this is for my '03 gsr stock HID's, it should be the same for your MR.

This is the right answer.

You will have to disable the cable that runs to both lights. They are held on by two screws per side. It makes adjusting them cake afterwards.

I have never put mine back together as I find it to be quite a useless feature. I can take pics when I get home if you want.
Old May 17, 2010, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by revvin9k
This is the right answer.

You will have to disable the cable that runs to both lights. They are held on by two screws per side. It makes adjusting them cake afterwards.

I have never put mine back together as I find it to be quite a useless feature. I can take pics when I get home if you want.
please do so.. thanks!
Old May 17, 2010, 11:49 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa whoa.... whats with all this talk of dissassembling and pulling off cables and hard to put together and such?

There are holes in the metal top front crossmember that runs right over the headlights. Look down them with a flashlight to find the right one. It will have a small gear on the inside that can be turned with a long enough (and just the right width) screwdriver.

Alternatively you can find the hole or adjust it by turning the (~5mm I think) small bolt on the back of this location, but it is almost impossible to get to.

How the eff do you think headlights are adjusted to point at the correct level? No way you could do this off the car.
Old May 17, 2010, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fostytou
Whoa whoa whoa whoa.... whats with all this talk of dissassembling and pulling off cables and hard to put together and such?

There are holes in the metal top front crossmember that runs right over the headlights. Look down them with a flashlight to find the right one. It will have a small gear on the inside that can be turned with a long enough (and just the right width) screwdriver.

Alternatively you can find the hole or adjust it by turning the (~5mm I think) small bolt on the back of this location, but it is almost impossible to get to.

How the eff do you think headlights are adjusted to point at the correct level? No way you could do this off the car.
could you take some picture of the holes? i knew it shoud be some wayto adjust it on the car. with the lights on pointing to a wall and the car horizontal leveled.. not in a hill or so..
Old May 18, 2010, 10:22 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just look in the FSM, it has plenty of pictures. I wouldn't be able to get a decent picture of it anyway.
Old May 18, 2010, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I adjusted mine by unscrewing the two screws at the end of the cable (where the gears are). Pull the cable away from the large gear and take the little gear off the end of the cable and insert a socket (I forget the size, maybe like 5mm?) Mine was frozen but I just kept turning until the cable broke free. This will allow you adjust the low and high beams independently without removing them or removing the front bumper. Turning the cable adjusts the low beam and if you turn the big gear you can adjust the high beam.

Warning: Do not unplug the yellow plug near the headlamp to get access to the gears. That's the airbag sensor. I unplugged mine with the battery connected and it threw an SRS code. I think you can unplug the airbag sensor if you disconnect the ground from the battery but I'm not sure.

Name:  driverside.gif
Views: 0
Size:  53.3 KB

Last edited by speifer; May 18, 2010 at 02:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FenixTX717 (Jul 30, 2016)
Old May 20, 2010, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

thank you this is a VERY informative picture. thanks

Originally Posted by speifer
I adjusted mine by unscrewing the two screws at the end of the cable (where the gears are). Pull the cable away from the large gear and take the little gear off the end of the cable and insert a socket (I forget the size, maybe like 5mm?) Mine was frozen but I just kept turning until the cable broke free. This will allow you adjust the low and high beams independently without removing them or removing the front bumper. Turning the cable adjusts the low beam and if you turn the big gear you can adjust the high beam.

Warning: Do not unplug the yellow plug near the headlamp to get access to the gears. That's the airbag sensor. I unplugged mine with the battery connected and it threw an SRS code. I think you can unplug the airbag sensor if you disconnect the ground from the battery but I'm not sure.

Old May 21, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Will try it these weekend when i wash the car thanks!
Old May 21, 2010, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shangai
Will try it these weekend when i wash the car thanks!
I re assure you, remove those two lil screws holding that crappy gear in place and it will make your life MUCH easier. GL.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to adjust headlight leveling?