Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Evo 8 Headlights.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 Headlights.

I have an 05 Evo 8. Currently the headlights that I have do not have for lights so I recently purchased some headlights that have fog light spots. After getting the bulbs in that I needed and after trying to install them today I soon realized that I do not have the correct plugs for the new headlights. I looked up my VIN today since I wasn't for sure what trim I own. Found out that it is an MR. Has anyone ran into this problem, that could help me out?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
MR's have fog lights.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 04:07 AM

The only thing with that is that the prior owner or someone throughout its life time has either taken the headlights out and blocked the fog light spot out and they might even have painted over the lens.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

those are not MR headlights then.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Only a few Evo VIII have fog lights. Does your car have the button on the dash to turn on the fog lights? If not, your car probably doesn't have the harness either.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 09:28 AM

Yeah the guy that I bought these new head lights I had told me that I have either JDM or Australian head lights. From the pictures I sent him.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
Only a few Evo VIII have fog lights. Does your car have the button on the dash to turn on the fog lights? If not, your car probably doesn't have the harness either.
Yeah my car doesn't have the switch for it. And that's the first thing I was thinking is that I need a new harness for it.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kealinstillz
Yeah my car doesn't have the switch for it. And that's the first thing I was thinking is that I need a new harness for it.
A lot of 2005+ Evos don't have fog lights and neither do the IX. Hope it's just a harness and the switch that you'll need.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kealinstillz
Yeah the guy that I bought these new head lights I had told me that I have either JDM or Australian head lights. From the pictures I sent him.
Also the AUS or JDM lights points a bit to the left. If not adjusted most of your headlights will be thrown to the on-coming traffic when used on US roads. Something to consider when you go to use/modify the light assembly...
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
Also the AUS or JDM lights points a bit to the left. If not adjusted most of your headlights will be thrown to the on-coming traffic when used on US roads. Something to consider when you go to use/modify the light assembly...
Well the new ones that I have from what he said are the USDM HID ones. And yeah I'm hoping that all I need is the harness and switch as well. Do you happen to know of anywhere I can buy a harness for kind of cheap? And also do you know how difficult it is to install that switch?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

I would imagine it's fairly easy to do if you have all the parts. May be tricky to find the plug to the fog light.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

All MR's had fog lights. If you don't have the harness and don't have the button on your dash for it, your car isn't an MR.

Or just check that you have a 6-speed, I suppose that's a dead give-away.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 09:35 AM

Alright well I don't have a 6 speed so yeah I guess no MR here then lol. That's weird that the VIN said that but oh well. Yeah I'm talking to some people about it now and trying to get some opinions on it. Thanks guys
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Take a picture of the connector for the Headlight on the Evo. There are two types of connectors one for HID and one for NON-HID.

If you post the picture then we can tell you which connector you have.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by deylag
Take a picture of the connector for the Headlight on the Evo. There are two types of connectors one for HID and one for NON-HID.

If you post the picture then we can tell you which connector you have.
Alright I can do that. I can try and do it today. At least to the best that I can without taking the headlights out

Quick Reply: Evo 8 Headlights.