Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

fuel pump rewire

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It works now thanks Wizzo. Of course its running pig rich. I'm on FIC 1100cc, do I need an AFPR? What do you recommend?

Last edited by hokiruu; Aug 18, 2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I got the mini fuel lab fpr from maperformance which includes everything needed to hook it up.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

I've been having problems with power to the fuel pump since I did this. I got it re-tuned at FFTEC after the re-wire, and a few blocks from the shop the car just died and wouldn't start again. After sitting for about 30mins it started again as soon as Sean from FFTEC pulled up to try to see what was wrong without him doing anything, go figure. Why, I have no idea. I drove it for one more day to get it smogged and on the way back it died in the middle of rush hour traffic and would not start again.

I found that the power wire terminal to the battery seemed loose due to the terminal not being crimped tight enough but after connecting the wire to the battery power block directly it still would not get power at the pump. Now when I turn on power the fuel pump does not seem to be priming or getting power.

I checked power to the relay with a multimeter and it is getting power. The fuse is fine. I was going to get another relay and took it to the auto parts store and they checked the relay it said it seemed to be good. So there just doesn't seem to be power to the pump itself. My electrical connections all seem solid and strong, I soldered and heat shrink wrapped them, unwrapped and checked them and they are all fine. I do notice some slight brown on a little section on the yellow and white wires but I think that's just from the foam under the rear seat rubbing them. I don't know what else could be the problem besides the fuel pump itself.

Any ideas what else it could be? I'm pretty stumped.

Last edited by hokiruu; Oct 29, 2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

If all the connections are good then yes I would try a new relay. Could also be the pump.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Oh I didn't even realize I had posted this, and was in the middle od editing my post since getting back from the auto parts store. I revised the post, the relay seems fine. Guess I may have a bad fuel pump? What's the easiest way to test it?

Last edited by hokiruu; Oct 29, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Do you have an afr gauge? If so under full throttle see if you are leaning out. Although not safe it should be lean after about a half hour of driving as you said. Also are you sure you have a good ground connection? Bad connections could cause this once the connection overheats and causes a voltage drop. Check power and ground at the pump when it dies if possible. If you have both then the pump is bad.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

I do have an AFR gauge, but It won't help me now, since the pump isn't getting any power at all and the car wont even start. The ground is very solid and it worked fine until the pump died on me while driving.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Ok so the pump has to be bad then. Keep us updated to what it was.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would also say relay should change, those fail when they heat up
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

is there anything diffrent i need to do with a double pumper ? thanks for the write up
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrboost05
is there anything diffrent i need to do with a double pumper ? thanks for the write up
I actually upgraded to a double pumper and I just left the main pump hard wired. I just used the wiring in the DP kit for the second pump like normal. I guess its an upgrade to the double pumper also.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you ever get that fixed?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting anecdote: a fuel sock from a 92-94 2.4 4Runner fits our fuel pumps in a pinch. I had to find this out the very hard way after my car died again and I found the sock to be filthy but dealerships were closed and I was very far from home.

I didn't want to jack this thread but I thought I had it solved and it was running well but now I am dealing with this reappearing problem still.

Here's the whole story:
Ok, without changing any of the wiring I got it working again with the new AEM 320lph fuel pump. You may have seen the thread I started about it. After my first E85 tune from Sean I hard wired the fuel pump to solve a lean spot from dropping voltage and had Sean at FFTEC re-tune it. Right after my last tune from Sean, it died a few blocks away and wouldn't start, then mysteriously started again 30 minutes later. It happened again a week later and would not start at all so I towed it home.

I thought the Walbro might be dead, and replaced it with a new AEM 320lph pump. The AEM came with a fuel sock that didn't fit in the carrier housing so I had to re-use the old one for lack of a better solution at the time. It looked used but not bad. I got it running again and it was running great until last week. On the highway, rolling on with heavier load, (like in 5th rolling on throttle from 2900rpm+) it wouldn't boost, would buck, and the AFR went very lean, all the way to 22 very quickly.

Last weekend my truck was in the shop so I drove the Evo very gently and after filling up on E85, it died 10 feet from the pump and wouldn't start again. I pulled out the fuel pump again and the sock was absolutely filthy, almost black. I thought this may be causing fuel starvation. I couldn't get a replacement sock again so I found one that fit from a 92-95 4runner. It still won't turn on and it seems like the fuel pump isn;t getting power. Maybe the dirty sock caused too much of a restriction for the fuel pump and burned it out? I don know, it doesn't seem likely. I am also surprised my fuel sock got SO much dirtier so quickly.

All of the these problems began after hard wiring the pump. I have checked and re-checked the wiring and the relay seems to be fine, but I can't figure it out.

I have not re-tuned for E70 but I am not sure if thats the problem. I stupidly havent been testing my E85 either. I wouldn't ben surprised if this were the problem. Flame on... I deserve it

Last edited by hokiruu; Feb 20, 2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That's interesting at first it sounded that you may have shorted your pump.

I'm on e85 as well and Sean tunes my car too. Recently my afrs went to the 13s at wot when he first tuned it, it was in the mid 12s.

I'm running an aeromotive 340 and it seems its not getting the same power that it was. So I'm going to hardwire it this week and get a retune. If its still not working I'm gonna get that new e85 walbro pump.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah Ithink shorted sounds likely. I just cant figure out where and how

Quick Reply: fuel pump rewire