Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Walbro 450 lph e85 fuel pump diy evo 8/9

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great write up thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hope it helped^
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have done several of these installs and i have yet to get the pump hanger to fully seat without denting the bottom of the tank... All evo 9s my first 8 will be in a few weeks...

As for the guy claiming they fail... I pretty sure he was running non ethanol pumps. I beta'd this pump for walbro and i'm on my first pump for over a year... None of the cars i've done installs on have had issues... And i dd my car with 596whp... My fuel pressure at idle is actually to high at 56psi because the flow rate of this pump hard wired. Dual voltage cars dont seem to have that issue. Anyway... I love this pump and cant see why people run double pumper setups anymore...
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by joseph143
I have done several of these installs and i have yet to get the pump hanger to fully seat without denting the bottom of the tank...
With a standard size fuel pump, the pump carrier just kisses the bottom of the tank. If xXANCHORMONXx is able to fit cap on the bottom of the pump carrier, I'm not sure why the tank would need to be dented to make it fit. Should be identical for 8 and 9.

Also, I'm successfully running the big sock that comes with the pump. Basically, a bit more trimming of the pump and housing is needed. No dent in the bottom of the tank, but the bottom of the sock does rest on the bottom of the tank. No issues with fuel flow through the sock because the sock is designed to keep the opening to the pump inlet from collapsing.

Last edited by mrfred; Apr 24, 2013 at 05:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sumopower87 (Mar 6, 2022)
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I run the sock that came with it as well... Every install i have done i have double checked and the seal with be about 1/8 an inch from being fully seated on the tank... I dont like banging metal together in a rising fuel vapor if i dont need to... You should know me better then that by now fred...
The following users liked this post:
sumopower87 (Mar 6, 2022)
Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the writeup... going to be doing this on Saturday
Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by joseph143
I run the sock that came with it as well... Every install i have done i have double checked and the seal with be about 1/8 an inch from being fully seated on the tank... I dont like banging metal together in a rising fuel vapor if i dont need to... You should know me better then that by now fred...
Yeah, I figured that you were doing it for good reason. I think its a balance between dinging the bottom of the tank and how much material gets trimmed away from the pump and the pump carrier.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Yeah, I figured that you were doing it for good reason. I think its a balance between dinging the bottom of the tank and how much material gets trimmed away from the pump and the pump carrier.
There's 2 ways I could see the bigger sock working one is denting the tank.
2 which is what you probably did I'd trimmed the housing and the barb alittle more so that the pump could slide higher up.

As far as the sock, I have it in my hands right now and one thing you'll notice is that unlike the oem, or aeromotive sock is that the metal washer is not detachable from the pump. Therefore there's the extra plastic piece on the bottom so you can press it on.

After looking at it I just did not feel comfortable using it. I will be pulling it on my next oil change to put a metal worm gear clamp on it. So I may try the sock again.

Also note that the bigger sock was fully flush with the pump, that's why I trimmed the bottom retainer so much.
Old May 7, 2013, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you use 2 of the injector o-rings on the barb or just one? EDIT: After re-reading the posts I see you used 1 the first time around then went back and put a 2nd one on, Why?

Last edited by black_beauty; May 7, 2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old May 8, 2013, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by black_beauty
Did you use 2 of the injector o-rings on the barb or just one? EDIT: After re-reading the posts I see you used 1 the first time around then went back and put a 2nd one on, Why?
There have been cases where the increased fuel pressure will push that rubber grommet down, and split in half. Then you'll have all sorts of fueling issues because fuel is being sprayed everywhere now.
Old May 8, 2013, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious if you guys are running FPR's with your setup's if so what kind, Iam thinking of paring this pump with 1150cc fic injectors.
Old May 9, 2013, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

I am still on the stock fpr. I am running 1250cc injectors as well
Old May 13, 2013, 11:55 AM

thanks will be doing this with my buddy this weekend!
Old May 15, 2013, 12:45 PM

what are the signs of a failing pump? I m going to do this soon. good right up
Old May 16, 2013, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by frostdragon
what are the signs of a failing pump? I m going to do this soon. good right up
Typically it gets very loud or you will not hear it prime

Quick Reply: Walbro 450 lph e85 fuel pump diy evo 8/9