Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

DIY: a/c clutch

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 11:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
DIY: a/c clutch

This thread is for people who has a/c clutch problem.

Recently my Evo was blowing hot air when i turn the a/c on. It didn't happen to me when i last used it back in summer 2012. It been getting warmer and we all need our a/c. I took the car to the shop to have them check for leaks. they told me the levels was unstable and they vaccum everything out and refilled it. I drove it for 15min with the a/c on nice and cold then out of the blue hot air was blowing. Took it back to the shop and the tech guy told me the clutch wasn't engaing. They qutoed me at 1500 to replace my whole a/c system cause you can't just replace the a/c compressor, you have to get a brand new dryer and some other stuff. I didn't have 1500bucks to blow, so i hopped on EvolutionM and search for a/c clutch. I came to this thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ng-advice.html and was really helpful and tons of information. So i took some picture and hopefully this thread i created will help other members on here. This is my contribution to EvoM.

The link above talks about changing out the shims and coil, I opted to change the coil and armature and shim since i was already at it and figure if I'm gonna get dirty then i'm gonna make sure i get dirty all the way. The Tap trick worked for me, meaning if i hit the a/c clutch with something it would blow cold air but evenutally after driving for a couple of min, the clutch won't spin again. I checked my gap on my a/c clutch and it was at .035 inch that is super way off.

All parts are Oem and i will include the part number i order.

Parts list: Name:  null_zps81b5a03b.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  51.4 KB
MR568462 hvac, air conditioner & heater, condenser, compressor & lines, coil $64.93

Name:  null_zps20b78905.jpg
Size:  47.8 KB
MR568461 hvac, air conditioner, compressor, clutch plate & hub assy Lancer w/Turbo $101.01

Name:  null_zps06593c7f.jpg
Size:  77.2 KB
MR315936 hvac, air conditioner & heater, condenser, compressor & lines, repair kit 1 $20.73

Special tool needed: snap ring pliers and feeler gauge

Step: 1. Jack the passanger side off.
2. Remove the passenger side wheel
3. Remove the 3 12mm bolt oil cooler bracket and place the oil cooler on the ground and not in the way.
Name:  null_zps94423e90.jpg
Size:  126.9 KB
4. remove the sepretine belt http://www.joe250.com/cars/evo8/belt...ltremoval.html

5. Remove the 14mm nut on the a/c clutch. I used a cordless impact wrench
Name:  null_zpsead0373f.jpg
Size:  108.4 KB
6. wiggle the armature out
7. remove the shim
Name:  3c0fc689-a830-4b22-a46d-eeafa66b5166_zpsecf8e358.jpg
Size:  97.3 KB
8. remove the snap ring
9. remove rotor. I had to bang it out to get the rotor off
Name:  null_zps53c2ac2e.jpg
Size:  67.2 KB
10. remove the second snap ring
Name:  null_zpsb53d7012.jpg
Size:  64.4 KB
11. remove coil. be sure to unplug all connector
Name:  null_zps2f6339b8.jpg
Size:  57.9 KB

To install is just the reverse order. Don't forget to check your gap with your feeler gauge. Any question feel free to post them or you can Pm. Enjoy your a/c and Thank you EvolutionM.

Some quick notes: In the service kit Mr315936 i used the second to smallest shim, that shim put me at .015 inch for gap.

Last edited by CharliEvo8; May 18, 2017 at 08:57 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by CharliEvo8:
ElleP (Jun 11, 2016), gbarnachea (Sep 12, 2022), osetsky (Aug 9, 2023), Qshiplvr (Jun 27, 2021)
Old May 25, 2013, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the write up.

I actually have 3 AC units in my basement with bad clutches. My friends tend to just buy a whole used unit for $75-100. But at least with these parts you know it should last.
Old May 26, 2013, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm about to swap a compressor i bought off a member here onto my car only to discover this thread... wonder if it's worth it to save my old compressor to gap properly :P Or will all the seals die and crack from storage no use no lube as my mechanic tells me.
Old May 26, 2013, 07:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4RETECH
Thanks for the write up.
Thanks, I'm sure people will find this information useful.

Originally Posted by Grimgrak
I'm about to swap a compressor i bought off a member here onto my car only to discover this thread... wonder if it's worth it to save my old compressor to gap properly :P Or will all the seals die and crack from storage no use no lube as my mechanic tells me.
It just depend if the a/c clutch is really your problem. Before i fixed my clutch, i would press my a/c button my clutch wouldn't engage. My fan would work, everything else seem to work when i press my a/c button except the compressor which turn out to be the clutch, when check for gap it was way off. I wasn't in the mood to pull the compressor off and drain the a/c and take it back to the shop to get it refill and check for leaks. Lucky it was just the a/c clutch.
Old May 27, 2013, 09:15 AM
tlb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks charlie nice thread post!
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question: when you turn the shaft itself that the armature is on... is it supposed to turn freely? or does it turn easy half the rotation and then have a slight resistance for the other half?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 08:08 PM

excellent write up-- well done!

Thanks!
Old Jul 12, 2015, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MISHI
Question: when you turn the shaft itself that the armature is on... is it supposed to turn freely? or does it turn easy half the rotation and then have a slight resistance for the other half?
this is what mine does. trying to decipher if its a shim or not.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I just want to know if it's safe to remove the coil with pressure in it? When I take that snap ring off is it going to blow the coil into my face or will it be on?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by MISHI
Originally Posted by phrequenc
this is what mine does. trying to decipher if its a shim or not.
This is normal. As you turn the shaft you are turning the compressor that is filled with refrigerant oil & refrigerant itself. You're simply feeling the resistance of such. Now, the clutch should spin nice and free (Number 8)

Originally Posted by cerevo
I just want to know if it's safe to remove the coil with pressure in it? When I take that snap ring off is it going to blow the coil into my face or will it be on?
You can take the coil off without draining the a/c system. Everything is sealed behind the coil. I got lucky and managed to crank down the center bolt and close the gap enough to make my a/c clutch engage.

See the attached image.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: a/c clutch-coil.png  
Old Jul 16, 2015, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Perfect, thanks for the info!
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
ok where do you use the feeler gauges to measure gap? between what and what? do you have to take everything apart to measure it?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

how do you determine if the clutch is the issue? i just had my system flushed and filled properly. my feelder gauges are within spec. i used a test light on the connector for the ac compressor and it gets power when i hit the button for ac.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nor11384
ok where do you use the feeler gauges to measure gap? between what and what? do you have to take everything apart to measure it?
Look on the pulley where the belt goes around. Toward the outside of the car on the pulley you will see 3 rings, this will freely spin (or should) you are measuring between that and the part the belt is going around.

Originally Posted by phrequenc
how do you determine if the clutch is the issue? i just had my system flushed and filled properly. my feelder gauges are within spec. i used a test light on the connector for the ac compressor and it gets power when i hit the button for ac.
Sounds like the A/C coil, I had this problem. I took the clutch off and the pulley and found that the fuse on the coil was blown out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0c...ew?usp=sharing note the fuse on the right side of the pic is burned looking
Old Aug 11, 2015, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
so you measure between the armature and the pulley that the belt mounts to? also should I take the measurement in a certain position or just doesn't matter?

Quick Reply: DIY: a/c clutch