Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to tsx projector retrofit

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2013, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Now that I took a second look at this thread. I noticed the headlights that the OP used for the retrofit are RS/GSR halogen headlights. Its good to know that these headlights will work with retrofitted TSX HID projectors.

Quick Question but what HID kit did you use? (Bulb Type and HID ballast)

Also how did you seal the back of the TSX projector from leaks?

Originally Posted by aznvtek
i works at the retrofit source
Oh nice! I have some questions about your setup. How did you get the Murano Bi-Xenon Projector to switch from low to high beams?

Are you also running the clear lense upgrade?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deylag
Now that I took a second look at this thread. I noticed the headlights that the OP used for the retrofit are RS/GSR halogen headlights. Its good to know that these headlights will work with retrofitted TSX HID projectors.

Oh nice! I have some questions about your setup. How did you get the Murano Bi-Xenon Projector to switch from low to high beams?

yes, clear lens are used
i used our oem 9005 plug and split it between bixenon solenoid and our halogen bulbs, so 4 high beam for them extra brighttttttttttttt
Old Sep 24, 2013, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmmmmm something to do this weekend....
Old Sep 24, 2013, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by deylag
I used to have halogens which really don't help at all as far as visibility.

I only have tsx projectors the visibility is great with the clear lense upgrade.I'm using the aftermarket h.I.d kit from password JDM. I'm using the butyl window glue to seasl it up so I'm good.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:43 PM

can i use retrofit sourse complete kit to install HIDS on my evo 9 NON-HID headlight housing?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Are the stock evo 8 lens removable, non hid ???
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
you can bake the headlights and pull the lens off if that's what you're asking, yes
Old Feb 5, 2017, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry let me clarify, Is the projector lens removable Also why is the little half moon in the lens ?
At the bottom, evo VIII non hid.

I want to upgrade my lighting, I have trouble seeing at night.
Another member on here from Australia did a "QUAD" setup and it looks very nice.
I'm not doing it for looks, I want to increase my safety while traveling at night, and visibility as well..
I see that you are very knowledgeable Demon, what is your opinion on this ?

I understand you can retro fx R
Tsx
S2k
​​​​​Etc, etc..
What will be a more practical solutions, while increasing the lighting output DRAMATICALLY ???
ONCE AGAIN, THIS IS FOR MY SAFETY AT NIGHT..
THANK YOU.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

the TSX projectors are going to be the easiest to fit into the projector, the FX-R will fit but takes a lot of custom work to squeeze it in there

the lens that you're looking at on the projector itself is removable yes, but it's "part" of the projector housing. the half-moon is because of the cutoff shield inside the projector. hard to describe, but if you saw it you'd see exactly what i'm referring to

since all the evos have projectors, they're at least OK for if you want to swap HID's into. I might start there and see if that's adequate. not a lot of people customize evo lights because aftermarket ones were never made so it's a really expensive test to modify the lights
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

You choose Tsx projectors over the s2k projectors ?
Which do you prefer ?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

s2k require extensive modification to fit in evo headlights, tsx dont
Old Feb 11, 2017, 03:43 PM

Good to know! I have a set of tsx and s2k headlights in the garage
Old Mar 1, 2017, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Serious noob question, for if you use the TSX projectors. From my understanding, the TSX projectos houses the D2S lightbulbs. If you have a stock evo 8 9005 bulb wiring, is there a way to convert those for D2S light bulbs? Or is it necessary? Thats all im confused about, i been trying to search but people just post up their before and after without mentioning about any sort of conversions as far as wiring goes with the stock EVO halogens into HID.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

the USDM wiring is 9006 bulbs, i think 9005 is jdm

as long as you buy ballasts that accept the stock plug on your car, you will be fine. say you're swapping HID bulbs into your stock evo with halogen lights (this isn't quite as much of a sin because at least the halogens are still projectors...). you'd buy an HID kit from somewhere (i like retrofitsource.com), and the bulbs you'd buy are 9006 bases (this kit: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hi...oto-elite.html). so your stock 9006 plug will plug into the ballast, and the HID bulb is a 9006 bulb so it'll plug right into the halogen 9006 socket on the stock headlights

if you're getting a TSX retrofit and you will need D2S bulbs, then you can buy the standard D2S ballast kit (because the input for the ballast is a 9006 plug) with D2S bulbs because those are what's needed for the projector

So the order is Harness > Ballast > Bulb > Headlight and they all need to add up and be compatible. hope that clears it up
Old Feb 21, 2020, 03:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Has anyone done this mod recently?

the OP reused top mounting holes in the tsx projector. While I seen other make four new holes in the projector housing.

wont one or the other affect where the projector is placed in the housing?

Quick Reply: How to tsx projector retrofit